Airstream Acquires NestCaravans - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 05:18 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Airstream Acquires NestCaravans

I did a search before posting, but didn't find this: Airstream Acquires NEST Caravans | The Small Trailer Enthusiast

I think maybe in some ways, Airstream is being left behind with so much emphasis on smaller units and especially light-weight ones.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I think that AS is trying to gain a small niche market for fiberglass, will be interesting to see where this goes
Old 04-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I've been following this topic on the Airstream forum for some time as they speculated on a "new" less expensive model. 40 plus pages up till now, when the news came out about Nest being acquired.

I say good for Robert! I hope his Nest becomes the "Airstreams" of fiberglass trailers ... Oh wait a minute, it has! 😊👍

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #4

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
The powers that be at Airstream appear to have decided that selling $60K-$150K trailers while good NOW may not be the only future for Airstream as future markets can change quickly.

I believe this acquisition says a LOT about the fiberglass egg trailer market and the fiberglass trailer market in the future. Unfortunately for Airstream the Airstream trailer as it is currently configured is a "Baby Boomers Dream". Having said that it's not the "Dream" of subsequent generations behind the "Boomers".

Face Facts. The US "Boomer's" are the wealthiest generation EVER on this planet and subsequent US generations while successful are not and most likely will not be as affluent in older age as the "Boomer's". In the next 5-10 years ALL the "toy's" the "Boomer's" have lusted after and enjoyed will be for sale as they are too damn old the enjoy them. The toys of the "Boomer" generation will be CL fodder for the rest of us to purchase at scrap or yard sale prices.

I believe the Airstream acquisition of "Nest" says a lot of positive things about the future of the fiberglass trailer market. It will be interesting to see where all of this leads!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Mike, that's an interesting analysis. I'm inclined to agree with you for the most part, except there are a lot of Boomers who are NOT wealthy and are feeling huge economic pain. I think we'll see more of that in the future too as more of the Boomer generation turn 65 and retire - or find themselves unable to retire! I think Airstream is making a good move. The Nest is not for me, but I think it's a slick, appealing little trailer for a certain segment of the RV marketplace.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Mike, that's an interesting analysis. I'm inclined to agree with you for the most part, except there are a lot of Boomers who are NOT wealthy and are feeling huge economic pain. I think we'll see more of that in the future too as more of the Boomer generation turn 65 and retire - or find themselves unable to retire! I think Airstream is making a good move. The Nest is not for me, but I think it's a slick, appealing little trailer for a certain segment of the RV marketplace.
As is always the situation in any generation there are those who are on the economic top and bottom of any generation. There will always be those who experience "Economic Pain" as you suggest through their own actions or those of the economy in general. Unfortunately the reality is that the "Bottom" group is always larger than those at in the "Top" group resulting in an even smaller market segment for Airstream to sell to in the future.

From my perspective this IS the reason that Airstream has decided to address the reality of what will be in my opinion a declining market in the future for their "Silver Bullets" and the need to build a product line that will be the "Dream" of future Airstreamer's who in all reality will lust after a different type of Airstream!!!

As a point of fact. I also own an Airstream!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
There was another thread on the topic of Airstream purchasing Nest a few days ago.

New Fiberglass player - Airstream

Airstream many months ago indicated they were going to bring in a new entry level trailer that was made of a product other than aluminum. Lots of speculation on the Airstream Forum since that it was going to be a fibreglass trailer - its BTW not the first fibreglass trailer

What they said at the time was:
"In an effort to bring down the average age of buyers for the elegant but expensive travel trailers and vans, Wheeler said, the company will shortly unveil a new product that’s smaller, sportier, easier to operate and cheaper."

The average age of an Airstream purchaser is 50-60 BTW.

This is not Airstreams first fibreglass trailer. They built a proto type in the 1960's the "Wally Bee" . it was a small trailer made with top and bottom shell was fibreglass. It did travel the world for awhile but it was the only one they made.
Attached Thumbnails
DVD 2008 - BOZEMAN RALLY 11-2008 (956).jpg  
Old 04-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
The powers that be at Airstream appear to have decided that selling $60K-$150K trailers while good NOW may not be the only future for Airstream as future markets can change quickly.
Good analysis. The average RV owner these days is about 48 years old, average income of about $62k, and likely to own their home. (Figures from the RV manufacturers association) Times are definitely changing for everyone. Before the recession, auto dealers couldn't sell little cars like the Honda Fit and the Ford Fiesta. Now they're everywhere. Every SUV seems to have taken a step down in size. Can you believe Tesla is over 220,000 reservations for their next electric car?

I still have my doubts about the the young bearded 20 and 30 somethings getting into buying RV's. Those of them that do have good jobs are saddled with college loans and housing coasts. But I believe that when they reach our age and finally have some disposable income, the RV landscape is going to be quite a bit different.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/members/26452-albums49.html
This is not Airstreams first fibreglass trailer. They built a proto type in the 1960's the "Wally Bee" . it was a small trailer made with top and bottom shell was fibreglass. It did travel the world for awhile but it was the only one they made.
There's three pictures when this fiberglass Airstream had seen it's better days in the historical albums: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...-albums49.html
Old 04-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #10

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Interesting that they went from launching in early 2014 to acquisition in 2016.... two years and probably made a ton of money in the process. Even in his thread back in 2013, he was comparing them to Airstreams.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #11

Registry
[QUOTE=JBjunior;579331 Even in his thread back in 2013, he was comparing them to Airstreams.[/QUOTE]

Most probable due to the designer working with him has a history with Airstream
Old 04-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I don't see this as the result of any imagined generational disparity.

Realistically...
Like many new upstarts,it looks like the offer was just too big for NestCaravans to resist.
My guess is that this will soon be the last we see of them.
Of course, it could mean a huge infusion of capital and the first truly mass produced fiberglass trailer... Who knows?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's three pictures when this fiberglass Airstream had seen it's better days in the historical albums: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...-albums49.html
Does the "Bee"still exist and if so any idea of its whereabouts?
Old 04-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
Interesting that they went from launching in early 2014 to acquisition in 2016.... two years and probably made a ton of money in the process.
I would not be so sure he made a ton of money.

We have seen many folks start up a fibreglass trailer biz and fail - starting a company is not for the faint of heart - he may simple be happy to get out of it and still own his home!
Old 04-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #15

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2014 Trillium 1500 Legend
Maryland
Registry
Quote:
My first thought, too!

I'm taking delivery of my 2014 Trillium 1500 from an Airstream dealer in three weeks. She looks a little out of place on that lot now. Maybe not so much in the near future.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #16

Registry
What day was this announced? By any chance it, would it have been Friday, April 1?

Old 04-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #17

Registry
Airstream is owned by Thor Industries. There's no mention of acquiring Nest on the Thor web site or the New York Stock Exchange.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Guess again. It's not a joke, April Fool's or otherwise. The Airstream Division has in fact acquired Nest Caravan, for whatever reason. What remains to be seen is if they do anything with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Airstream is owned by Thor Industries. There's no mention of acquiring Nest on the Thor web site or the New York Stock Exchange.
Confirm it is not a joke.

Robert Johans the owner of Nest has confirmed the sale to Airstream on the thread Introducing Nest Caravans
Old 04-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #20

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Going back and forth, here and airforums, someone there mentioned they only produced 3 units, none ever for sale, and the only one still alive was restored by a gentleman in Colorado years ago, I believe.
Closed Thread