Airstream leads, others will follow - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sadly, that tale is all too common with a large number of RV brands at many price points, including some molded fiberglass makes.

Strikes me that it's not unlike automobiles in the days before modern automated production.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Quality

Sadly I purchased a brand new TT from a Texas manufacture and it has a whole host of quality issues, poor workmanship and extreme lacking of customer service. Needless to say I will never buy another new RV with all the quality issues at every price point and that includes Airstream and Oliver.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #17

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Danger of too much storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Tons and tons of storage, gorgeous windows, including skylights, etc.
Earlier this year at the Escapees annual education event in Tucson is where I learned too much storage space = dangerously overweight travel trailers and RVs.

So may not be on the plus side for safe and enjoyable RVing.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Earlier this year at the Escapees annual education event in Tucson is where I learned too much storage space = dangerously overweight travel trailers and RVs.
Mind you when folks say there are tons of storage, that's just a figure of speech...

I'm not sure that I can agree with the "equal" sign there. One does not necessarily lead to or result in the other. Managing weights and capacities is just another responsibility. As with so many things in life, some folks act responsibly, some less so...
Old 06-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
No Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Both the Nest and Basecamp appear to offer flush toilets. For around $40,000, you'd hope so. Sorry, I could not get jpegs to upload. Ken, I certainly didn't intend to step on your post. I tried to find others before I posted.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...amp/floorplan/

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=2&ajaxhist=0
I didn't see flush toilet on the Nest website, only the Thetford Porta Potti .
Old 06-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #20

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Quality

Tom,
As a new owner of a brand new Oliver Legacy Elite (18.5 ft), I can tell you that the quality of our TT is exceptional. Our delivery (6/27) was pretty close to perfect. They seem dedicated to this industry. Also, based on the on board storage available ( not a lot), being over weight will not be an issue. I had concerns about the wiring etc., but after exploring under the covers and testing the electrical systems, all appears to be well done and secure.
We shall see as we use it how well it holds up, but I do like a Fiberglass designed trailer and expect it to be around for a long time.
Cheers,
Old 06-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:

So may not be on the plus side for safe and enjoyable RVing.
If you're irresponsible enough to overload your RV and exceed the GVWR, you can't blame that on having "too much storage". You can blame it on not understanding how towing and RVs work.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #22

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Tennessee
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
I knew that Thor owned Airstream but I did not realize that they had owned it for that long. There is filiform corrosion not covered by warranty, I understand, that has been a problem on some of their newer units. Don't know if they ever addressed that.
WOW that explains why the Airstream quality has steadily gone downhill. Leave it to Warren Buffet the monopolizer of Thor. Home of the staple and glue inventories.

Hope none of the other fiberglass companies here sell off to him. Look for voided warrantees and crummy replacement policies and parts.

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...too much storage space = dangerously overweight travel trailers and RVs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
...Managing weights and capacities is just another responsibility. As with so many things in life, some folks act responsibly, some less so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
If you're irresponsible enough to overload your RV and exceed the GVWR, you can't blame that on having "too much storage". You can blame it on not understanding how towing and RVs work.
All true, but lots of storage combined with limited payload capacity is an irresponsible design decision by the manufacturer (who ought to know the most). I am not saying anything about any particular manufacturer or trailer, but I have seen a few with as little as a few hundred pounds difference between curb weight and GVWR. I have also seen a few with storage located in a way that invites unbalanced loading.

All in all, it's a significant problem, as Batdude's earlier post reveals, and I think there is irresponsibility all around. In fairness to the original subject of this thread, Airstream has a reputation of being one of the better balanced trailers, and payload capacities seem reasonable and proportionate to the size of the trailer.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #24

Tennessee
Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I will never buy another new RV with all the quality issues at every price point and that includes Airstream and Oliver.
We like our Oliver.

Yes, it had some fit and finish problems. Fortunately they have a very good warrantee and because we are in the same state we got our small problems worked out by visiting the factory.

I can't say enough about the cooperation and care the Oliver people have towards people who purchase their high end fiberglass models.

YES they are pricey! We had to swallow hard before purchasing but we will never regret waiting and buying Oliver.

The only outstanding fleet-wide problem at the moment is the fresh water tank's input hose is too short and does not allow for the complete vacuuming of the tank. This is being worked on and soon a solution will be available. This is not really a problem for us currently we don't boondock.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #25

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
WOW that explains why the Airstream quality has steadily gone downhill. Leave it to Warren Buffet the monopolizer of Thor. Home of the staple and glue inventories.

Hope none of the other fiberglass companies here sell off to him. Look for voided warrantees and crummy replacement policies and parts.
Huh?

Berkshire owns Forest River not THOR.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #26

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Huh?

Berkshire owns Forest River not THOR.
YEAH and who owns Berkshire? Warren Buffet. He owns almost ALL the Indiana (lack of ) class stick, staple, and glues. Under the umbrella of THOR.

Hint... Berkshire (sound familiar as is in the parent Berkshire Hathaway) ala Buffet. Horrible little man. Employs non-US citizens to boot. Check out YouTube and watch them assemble the things as fast as they can.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #27

Tennessee
No toady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Warren Buffet => Berkshire Hathaway => Forest River.

Forest river is a competitor to Thor.

Personally, I like to focus on things that are not horrible.

As an example, we are having really great weather here today.

How's your day going?
> I disagree but very agreeably. Not to ruin your day however.... <

Warren Buffett

Warren Buffett’s RV maker fined $5 million over safety issues

"... Warren Buffett's RV maker, Forest River, has been fined at least $5 million due to safety issues.
The Associated Press reported that the Indiana-based company is on probation and could see regulators fine it an additional $30 million during the next three years, if any other safety concerns crop up..."

Regulators Fined Warren Buffett&#39;s Forest River Over Safety Concerns | Fortune.com
http://fortune.com/2015/07/10/warren-buffett-rv-maker/

> I don't normally focus on the toady but someone brought up the despicable Thor. Sigh... <

> Great weather here too and thanks for asking about my day. <

* Cheers and have a good one... just don't look at his face.
Signing off now... *

Old 06-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Sorry Donna, I stand corrected.

Apparently the built-in toilets in either the Basecamp and/or the Nest, may just be built-in (?) Porta Pottis. I concluded that they were flush toilets based on the floorplans. Frankly, I can't be certain either is built in. But for around $40,000...