Airstream Nest - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #281

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I live 30 miles from the Oliver factory which is in Hohenwald Tn. Last year, they had an Oliver rally about 10 miles from the factory. We got to take a factory tour.

EVERYTHING you read about Oliver quality is THERE. I saw it! The double-hull and how they route their hoses etc so that they receive heat if you want to camp in the winter- I saw it first hand.

Not only that, but the way they routed and secured the wiring and hoses -to ME- was a work of art! They do not hold back on quality. The aluminum framing- no rust. The stainless steel fixtures inside. Their attention to detail. I've only just lightly scratched the surface. It IS the "Mercedes" of the fiberglass community in my opinion.

I own a Scamp and probably will never make a plunge to spend that much money on a smaller RV, but if I did, I'd GLADLY take the Oliver over the Airstream which I feel is STILL highly over-rated vs their cost!!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #282

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I own a Scamp and probably will never make a plunge to spend that much money on a smaller RV, but if I did, I'd GLADLY take the Oliver over the Airstream which I feel is STILL highly over-rated vs their cost!!
But you have not seen first hand the quality of construction in the Nest, which unlike Oliver is top notch. Without actually seeing reviews and an actual trailer, or even the manufacturing process, what basis to you make this judgement on?

I too will not be buying either of these two trailers. While they both have top notch build quality, something that does impress me, the size, layout, and especially the interior finish don't appeal to me. If I ever was to move from my Escape 5.0TA, it would most like be to a Bigfoot, but I doubt that would ever happen, we love our Escape too much.

For me personally, I can see the difference in quality and cost of most makes of moulded fibreglass trailers. While I see some good quality upgrades in a bunch of areas with my Escape, I do realize that it still uses some lesser grade components to keep the price down and make it more affordable than the cost that the Nest, Bigfoot and Oliver are at. This is why I chose do add a lot of the components myself, so I could upgrade the quality, and maximize storage capacity.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #283

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I should have been more clear. When I said "Airstream", I was referring to their "aluminum" counterparts...dont like the "flaking" of their clear coating nor the easy-denting alum covering.

While I havent been inside a "Nest" the interior looks nice. BUT, the "Nest" is too small to put that much money in... PERIOD!

My opinion still stands- I will gladly take an Oliver over the Airstream be it the pricey aluminums OR the "Nest" for the $ amount.

Now the one that grabs our attention the MOST in FG is the Big Foot 25'er (wife loves the couch). But honestly, I dont see putting that much of my life savings in an RV- but who knows, life makes some interesting detours sometimes that often changes our 'will never' to 'will'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
But you have not seen first hand the quality of construction in the Nest, which unlike Oliver is top notch. Without actually seeing reviews and an actual trailer, or even the manufacturing process, what basis to you make this judgement on?

I too will not be buying either of these two trailers. While they both have top notch build quality, something that does impress me, the size, layout, and especially the interior finish don't appeal to me. If I ever was to move from my Escape 5.0TA, it would most like be to a Bigfoot, but I doubt that would ever happen, we love our Escape too much.

For me personally, I can see the difference in quality and cost of most makes of moulded fibreglass trailers. While I see some good quality upgrades in a bunch of areas with my Escape, I do realize that it still uses some lesser grade components to keep the price down and make it more affordable than the cost that the Nest, Bigfoot and Oliver are at. This is why I chose do add a lot of the components myself, so I could upgrade the quality, and maximize storage capacity.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #284

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Big boat small pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
steve I have never been in an oliver or seen one for that matter but I have seen pictutes of all of them including the nest. the oliver does seem to leap out at you as you have said either they have top photographers or the quality is above anything I have ever seen!

how they have done this is really beyond me and at their prices you do pay for this no problem for me. Maybe at 76 if I go senile I will buy one but oh at those prices but 1 little scratch and I would be crying.

in my former life as a china salesman I always had that customer if you set a beautiflul table top up for them they would throw out their old stuff and buy new costing thousands of dollars!

they were high end customers seeking their own high end customers you know the outfits who could charge 75.00 for a steak dinner I never got it myself but each high end customer has a high end customer it goes on and on!

so oliver and nest may not sell many units but each sale brings in thousands they just market to a different crowd of high enders I call them! good for them its sort of like the 500k boats who buys those things? I see them tooling around on lake of the Ozarks going nowhere really!

bob

bob
Hi Bob
I will say this, travel trailers make more sense to me than a 500k boat on a finite sized (and not that big) lake. But to each his own. People often tell me i just don’t understand. It’s ok with me. At least with the trailer there’s so much road and country out there not manynwill ever see it all from the ground. Saw some turkeys in full strut on my way to town this morning. Nothing to some, everything to me.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #285

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
my thinking layout 55k for a trailer just in the beginning stages 55k for a trailer built by an expert in the fiberglass field for quite a few years.

the Oliver wins hands down!

bob k0wtz
I would take the Nest, I don't like the layout of the Oliver. Most of the negatives I pointed out on the Nest are not things that are negatives for me. Still don't like the U shaped bench, but that is better than trying to cram a side dinette in.

That being said I would get an Escape before either of them.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #286

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
opinions

I once had a real interesting guy who I respected a bunch that opinions were sort of like well you know and everyone has one!

go to lake Ozark sometime and just look at the huge boats either in storage or for sale just to impress a friend or someone just how rich we are to even afford some of those monstrosities. then you have to buy fuel for it maintain it store it the list goes on and one. but it does create lots of jobs so maybe its ok. I have been in some of the finest country clubs in the country it is at a whole level some amazing things in those clubs but not for me!

I too love those high end trailers but as has been stated sink a good part of your cash savings to buy one. no not for me but for some people one of these purchases is just minor.

I know some wealthy people some of their spending knocks me over but they have been doing it for a long time and no end in sight!!

bob
Old 04-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #287

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
This weekend, we were in Townsend TN for the Eggscursion Rally. Driving to Knoxville we passed Chihowee RV Center and noticed a Nest. We stopped to take a look. They were closed, but looking through the fence, the exterior was top quality fit and finish. It was interesting to note that it has a sold sign so apparently there is at least one buyer in East TN.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #288

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I just can not understand why some of us feel need to question the motives or reasons for someone else spending in any way?

If you don't want to buy a new rig,then don't.
If you don't want to buy the latest design or offering then don't.

Is there something impure or wrong with anyone spending more for anything than you would if they prefer their choice for whatever reason?

If my Kids choose to buy differently than I do why does this make them wrong?

Why does this seem to invite judging others when they feel differently than you do?
Claiming that it isn't being judgemental but then writing it off to another lifestyle choice is simply judging.

Do you really think there is no legit reason for anyone to buy something that you find extravagant and that there has to be some selfish or vain reason behind it?

They built a huge lake in the Missouri Ozarks with 92 miles of channel and 1200 miles of shoreline,this is a good sized lake. People live on and around the lake everywhere and some even live in the lake on huge and pricey boats.
I imagine they are often going somewhere too.

I have no real interest in boats or boating anyway but the idea of a Hose boat is sort of intriguing to me and I watch programming about them whenever I can but will never buy one in the end.

It is all about choices,freedom of choices.

These new trailers will not be for everyone and they are not designed for everyone and it is fun to talk about and compare the design and features and price points of them all add nausea too but why is anyone's choice good or bad at all?

Live and Let Live,really.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #289

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I just can not understand why some of us feel need to question the motives or reasons for someone else spending in any way?
Why do you feel the need to question the motives or reasons of those who question the motives or reasons for someone else spending in any way?

And so on, and so on...
Old 04-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #290

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Why do you feel the need to question the motives or reasons of those who question the motives or reasons for someone else spending in any way?

And so on, and so on...
I was being rhetorical really,I think that should have been pretty clear?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #291

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post

These new trailers will not be for everyone and they are not designed for everyone and it is fun to talk about and compare the design and features and price points of them all add nausea too but why is anyone's choice good or bad at all?

Live and Let Live,really.
MOST EXCELLENT!
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #292

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I couldn’t agree more with Ed Harris comment
Old 04-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #293

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
I couldn’t agree more with Ed Harris comment
Yeah, I pretty much am on board with his observations too.

If folks are spending their own money, all the power to them with whatever they decide.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #294

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Well said Ed. This preoccupation with cost gets tiresome. If you've the means and you like the trailer, get one. If you don't, don't.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #295

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
-76-
Old 04-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #296

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Glenn Baglo:
Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #297

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
"Spend your children's inheritance. You'll enjoy it more than they will."