Airstream Nest - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #57

Name: Paul
Trailer: Looking for the NEST
Ontario
Nest and Airstream

Am not sure what gen I am, probably part of the BB born in 54, but man I love this NEST! From it's inception as Robert gave us a Blow by Blow of the Prototype I have been enamoured with this unit. I have looked at a number of items, BaseCamp, Lance 1475, Alto Safari, T@B 400, Trillium Outback, Scamp, Escape, Oliver, Lil Snozzy........Nest has still got me. And 40K, that is peanuts.....am looking forward to the release! We have a Toyota Highlander 2002 with a new engine (2.4) and a Tranny Cooler......looken for Light Weight and do not care about the price.....

Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #58

Name: Hidalga
Trailer: Modified 13' Scamp
Full-Timer
Correlating Thread

RV Daily Report just posted an article on the Nest today (Airstream gives official sneak peek of The Nest | RV Daily Report), and there's a FiberglassRV correlating thread about the same trailer, linked below.

Woo Hoo: Airstream Nest / American Web Media article

Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #59

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Still it is a lot more like a glorified "Lil'Snoozy" than it is like an Oliver.
Shear size and weight alone shows that, then look at the Oliver sub-floor design. I'm not a big Oliver fan but I can sure see the difference .

That's funny. I have followed the threads on the Nest from the start. It is an attractive design. I have no doubt Airstream will sell some of them . I always thought it was a bad copy of the LIL Snoozy..Less room, roof openings.. port a potty, narrow door. those awful chairs. Hopefully AS will fix some of that. Even though everyone admired the design I don't think even one was sold before AS bought it.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #60

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
It is also heavier than a LiL Snoozy..
Old 07-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #61

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJ-2012 View Post
Am not sure what gen I am, probably part of the BB born in 54, but man I love this NEST! From it's inception as Robert gave us a Blow by Blow of the Prototype I have been enamoured with this unit. I have looked at a number of items, BaseCamp, Lance 1475, Alto Safari, T@B 400, Trillium Outback, Scamp, Escape, Oliver, Lil Snozzy........Nest has still got me. And 40K, that is peanuts.....am looking forward to the release! We have a Toyota Highlander 2002 with a new engine (2.4) and a Tranny Cooler......looken for Light Weight and do not care about the price.....
Don't worry about there being a line when you go to plop down 40k, there won't be one. And no, it's not peanuts
Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #62

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
To those that think at $40K it won't sell, the Airstream Basecamp starts at $36K. The 16 foot Airstream Sport starts at $46K.

For Airstream's pricing, $40K is right there and should sell just fine. Will I buy one? No. But others will.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #63

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Will I buy one? No. But others will.
You're right. I've no interest in one but a bunch of people will. And with Airstream's production capacity behind it, no doubt we'll soon see new fgrv members with a Nest.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #64

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
For $40K, one can buy TWO Casitas, better equipped.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:25 AM   #65

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
While a Casita is a great value, there is no way you can compare how they are equipped, the Nest outfitting, let alone the construction, is way above and beyond what Casita uses. Same applies to Escape, that while great value, it is equipped nowhere near as nice. This is why I chose to buy a brand new trailer and do a lot of the finishing myself, upgrading lots of the equipment and fixtures.

You could just see as Robert Johans was building the first prototype, that there was incredible detail put into every aspect of it, well beyond what the vast majority of RV's employ. He did a lot of thinking outside of the box, and to good end. The glut of RV's frankly are made as inexpensively as possible to make them affordable, cheaper fixtures like sinks, stoves, hood fans, furnaces, fridges, plumbing fixtures, etc. It is nice to see an option of quality out there, and with Robert overseeing the Airstream production of the Nest, I do believe it will find a customer base, and do well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #66

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
I see lots of Airstream Sport 16 "Bambis" in camp and on the road but not one Basecamp. A big part of AS's appeal is style, and the large majority of AS buyers want an AS to look like an AS.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #67

Ontario
One NEST in the Driveway worth 2 Casitas in the Bush!

Quote:
And then I would be about $40K down with TWO Casitas that I do not want and without the NEST that I do want!!!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #68

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
That was not a command. That was an illustration, a comparison.

The Don Pod
Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #69

Ontario
Illusions vs Illustration

Quote:
That was not a command. That was an illustration, a comparison.
Sorry Don, going to have to go with Jim on this one! Am sure that the Process will not be exactly the same with the build once they streamline the plant build but am really excited about this one. Also am peeking at Castita, but with the Exchange and getting it over the border and then the Safety Inspections.......ad nauseum
Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #70

Texas
There is much talk about how they are equipped, The Nest outfitting, the construction being way above what Casita uses. That's advertising hype. The implication that the detail is better and nicer? (subjective)

I do not own a Casita but the implication is that it's just thrown together and not very nice, cheap materials as opposed to expensive materials and superior engineering in the Nest. I've owned an Airstream for 20 years. The woodwork is amazing, it's extremely comfortable. The mini blinds, the refrigerator, the toilet, the sink, these things are all standard in most RVs as will be the refrigerator, the toilet, and the sink in the Nest.

Yes it'll be a nice trailer with a different style. I like the design using the rear entrance, which is why I like the Lil Snoozy.

But $10,000 of the price of the nest is going to be because it has the Airstream name on it, not because of the quality or superior everything.

The Don Pod