Airstream Nest - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #241

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Dear Airstream,

The Nest looks like a real nice trailer and I hope you guys enjoy a lot of success with it. I am writing to suggest that you might want to oil the hinges on the wardrobe, rear door, and the nose cone hinges before providing delivery to your dealers as hearing them all squeak on the Colonial Airstream video was kind of funny.

Regards,
Mike

Old 04-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #242

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Dear Airstream,

The Nest looks like a real nice trailer and I hope you guys enjoy a lot of success with it. I am writing to suggest that you might want to oil the hinges on the wardrobe, rear door, and the nose cone hinges before providing delivery to your dealers as hearing them all squeak on the Colonial Airstream video was kind of funny.

Regards,
Mike
I was chatting with a Tech at an Airstream dealerships (friend was doing the shakedown of their new 27'), and Airstream does very little quality control. It has gotten even worse now that Airstream is trying to pump out the units. Seems that one month all the AC units that the dealership received were broken. Turns out Airstream never even turned them on at the assembly plaint.

Most of the time it is left to the buyer to find the problems and then the dealership fixes it.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #243

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Thanks for posting the video. Nice trailer but not enough ventilation for me. Awning windows, no thanks. Is it worth the money? If it's well made on a par with Oliver but, towable by a smaller vehicle then I suspect there is a market for it. There are a lot of folks in all-in-ones that would like to move to a towable. Trading in a Winnebago View for a Nest and a tow.??? Easier exploring.

I look forward to seeing one in person.
Hi: Raz... Saw one at Can-Am RV London http://www.canamrv.ca on the way past yesterday. In to much of a hurry to get home to stop in and kick tires!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #244

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Dear Airstream,

Regards,
Mike
Excellent observation, Mike! I noticed one of those squeaks in the video and thought the same. I always keep a can of WD40 at hand, for regular, as well as off-label use - there are many and a small amount goes a long way.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #245

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I have done some more reading on the compressor refrigerator in the Nest. On 12 volt power, this fridge is 2-3 times more energy efficient than the absorption refrigerators that are standard in most RV's. Those units would generally run down a 12 volt battery in less than a day when running on DC power. The compressor fridge will average only 60 amp hours per day, so would probably run up to three days before depleting the battery. The Nest video says that an extra battery is installed in the trailer to accommodate the refrigerator. You could presumably keep the battery bank up with solar and/or generator. I already do that when boondocking. But my battery consumption is fairly low running only some LED lights and the vent fan. While I am glad to see a more efficient 12 volt operating system for RV refrigerators, I still think the propane burner is a very low maintenance way to keep the fridge cold without worrying about the battery system. On the other hand, the compressor fridge on 12 volts would be a much nicer and safer way to run the fridge while going down the highway. This is probably the direction all RV builders are heading in eventually.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #246

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Thank you, excellent refigerator post, David (& Nancy). It confirms some suspicions. Airstream has done their homework.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #247

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Patrick Botticelli posted 94 pictures of the Nest here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4801339&type=3

David,

I'm interested in where you were able to locate information on the refrigerator. Information for the N1090BR doesn't seem to be posted on the Norcold site, though there is some data available for the Thetford T1090 90 liter (3.2 cu ft) European model.

I ran some numbers on a small Engel compressor fridge a while back for some folks in Puerto Rico that were exploring using a 12V compressor fridge with solar during the extended power outage. Engel published some data indicating the percent runtime for their MT45F model, a small 42 quart (1.4 cu ft) chest-style refrigerator-freezer. Engel published 47% runtime for 35/5 degrees C, = 95/41 degrees F with a net of 27.4 amp-hours per day. They also indicate the power consumption as variable from 0.7-2.5 Amps (12V DC).

The Norcold in the Nest has a sticker with "day" and "night" mode, so it's not clear to me what sort of amp-hours to anticipate in a 24-hour period. Based on the above, I would guess something around 2.8 x 24 hours, which is about 66 amp hours per day. But, I'm making some pretty shaky assumptions here, so David's 60 amp-hours is right in the wheelhouse too.

Apparently the climate class N or ST on the label corresponds to an ambient temperature range from 16 to 38 C, = 61 to 100 F.
Attached Thumbnails
Airstream Nest Norcold N1090BR Refrigerator Data.jpg  

Old 04-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #248

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
What difference does it make to a fridge whether it is day or night. The temperature is going to be whatever it is regardless of the time of day. 20C is 20C.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #249

Denver, CO
I should wait for the experts. My guess would be that you run a solar powered refrigerator harder (colder) during the day when there is more solar available, and less at night, when it may rely on the battery.

If these small refrigerators in Puerto Rico are subjected to day/night ambient temps, and/or sunshine, I expect they need to operate more during sunny warm days, than somewhat cooler nights. For example it may have to cool from 90* or more to 40 during the day. At night from perhaps 80* to 40*.

But why use a manual switch, and not a clock on a chip based system for the solar part? Or just a thermostat?
Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #250

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
I ran some numbers on a small Engel compressor fridge a while back for some folks in Puerto Rico that were exploring using a 12V compressor fridge with solar during the extended power outage. Engel published some data indicating the percent runtime for their MT45F model, a small 42 quart (1.4 cu ft) chest-style refrigerator-freezer. Engel published 47% runtime for 35/5 degrees C, = 95/41 degrees F with a net of 27.4 amp-hours per day. They also indicate the power consumption as variable from 0.7-2.5 Amps (12V DC).
Interesting. I have an Engel MR040 40 quart fridge. Engel told me it would average about 1 amp consumption, which puts it pretty close to your number for a slightly larger fridge.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:12 AM   #251
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Hope I am not reposting something you have already seen but I found this video quite informative. It is long but does show both floor plans and most features.
Be sure to read the comments for some great misinformation about our fiberglass trailers😁.
https://youtu.be/m0l0BZ4a3d4
Old 04-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #252

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Airstream Nest Officially Announced

Do-It-Yourself Trailer has an article out this AM about the new Airstream Nest.

It is very sleek inside (as we saw on the early video)--Danish modern, really, with sliding upper cabinet doors.

It is $45,900. It weighs 3,400 dry/curb. It has a queen bed that can be permanent if you remove the 2nd galley counter and have a bench and movable table installed instead. Thus, the two floor plans.

This answers my big questions.

Only the one bed no matter how you slice it (we very much need two, even if they are cot-sized). 3,400 dry is too heavy for us. And $45,900 (not counting tax, license, dealer prep, and whatever else they can think of to throw in there, options and whatnot) is too spendy for us for a trailer I basically don't like.

My whimsical cloudy thoughts of upgrading one day to a Nest are over. Back to committing to Peanut until Paul is too old to handle it, at which time we'll sell it and be done camping.

May you all camp until you're a hundred, and may we be camping at the campground to offer you a toast on that day!

BEST
Kai
Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #253

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
If I had the money to blow and I had a choice between it and an Oliver I would take the Oliver every time! Maybe the high dollar seekers of a fiberglass trailer wont want to wait a year for the best trailer available which the Oliver is hands down!.

I wonder though!

bob
Old 04-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #254

Missouri
Take your money and head to Olivers factory for the best one!

bob
Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #255

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
It is a lotta lotta money, for something you already have in our compact models. It is over 50 with tax and a few options. But it will make ours more sought after. Carl
Old 04-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #256

Missouri
carl I agree I guess our 13f scamper will now be worth 10k

bob
Old 04-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #257

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
An interesting side-by-side comparo would match up the Nest, the Sport 16 "Bambi," and the Oliver Elite. Three very different answers to the question, "What does $47K buy in a small entry-luxury class travel trailer?" Wondering if there is anything else that should be included- Bigfoot 17.5FB, maybe?

I'll volunteer to be the tester.

I'm actually kind of curious. I think I know the outcome, but I am prepared to be surprised. Give me 3 days off-grid with each one and 3 hours towing each with the same vehicle.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #258

Missouri
are they needing volunteers for this?

funning you

bob
Old 04-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #259

Denver, CO
Sorry guys & gals, the comparison is complete. A link is below. Oliver completed this comparison against 3 Airstreams and an Escape 21.

I notice their first assertion is that the Nest is two piece fiberglass. I am pretty sure the back is a third piece. But their point was double hull.

Also, they seem to imply the Nest has no frame. I think that was early designs.

All fine trailers. The Oliver compared starts at $8,000 ($6,700?) more. Appears this comparison was completed before the Nest was released.

The Oliver is 1,200lbs more, at 4,600lbs & may force a heavier tow vehicle. The Escape 21 is 190 lbs. less. 190lbs isn't huge, and there are many reasons to justify any of the FG units. It appears FG units in general are less than aluminum. I could go on.

The Nest is 16'7" total, The Escape 21'4", and The Oliver 23'6".

Finally, The Escape, while not quite as nice, is half the cost, in U.S. $ - 27,000

Who won? That's up to you. I'm pleased they are different.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/tra...avel-trailers/
Old 04-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #260

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Whoever sets the judging criteria makes the winner...

I really wasn't thinking about winners and losers as much as real-world, real-user comparisons of the strengths and limitations of each design. How do the beds feel? How does the galley work in practice? How adequate and accessible is the storage? How practical is the bath set-up? What's it really like to live in this trailer for several days? Some things you can judge by numbers and specifications, but numbers don't tell the whole story.

For an apples-to-apples comparo it has to be the smaller Oliver, both on price and weight. I was looking at the following numbers (dry weight/GVWR): Oliver Elite (3400/5000), Nest (3400/4000), Sport 16 (2900/3500), Bigfoot 17.5FB (3400/4300). They all have base MSRP's in the upper $40K range, although I'm just guessing on the Bigfoot. Discounting varies across the group, ranging from none to quite a bit.

Not many people will get to try out even one of these, let along all of them.
Closed Thread