Alaska Bound - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
ALaska Steep runs

The only long steep run I remember was the drive from Whitehorse down to sea level Skagway. Actually a beautifully scenic run with a stop at Carcross mandatory.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
LLN

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 2010
Pennsylvania
Registry
Onboard Air

Hi--Joy, I have A/C with the truck, but I also want to see about adding an air compressor for airing up/down. I guess if it has enough CFM I could use an impact wrench to remove lugnuts. Anyway, I am going to talk to the off-road guys at the Overland Expo, Adventure Trailer company, about a unit they could recommend. Always wanted an aircompressor. Good to know about the weather an potential heat. I have been investing in warm clothes and a warmer Wiggy's sleeping bag. I may be too warm. And I have heard from you all about moquitoes! I did not do that well when confronted with the black bitting flies. They raise lumps and those bleed. Mean little things/black flies. Experienced this in Labrador. I never thought about having mesh screen material along to cover vents on the outside to keep them from coming into the trailer.

Linda

Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #31

Florida
Another mosquito entry point

One night we saw a mosquito coming down the space around a vent handle.

As to clothing we never needed anything more substantial than a wind breaker and a sweater. we were there from June to August.

We carry a small air compressor designed for RV tires and a bottle jack. They do make battery powered impact hammers though I've never tried one. It may be simper to carry an extesion for a breaker bar.

In the Yukon Cottonwood is a fine campground right on Klaune Lake. They sometimes make homemade bread, call ahead and ask.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #32
LLN

Pennsylvania
Registry
Great thanks!

Extension bar, yes that really does work. Great to know it is not going to be that cold. And maybe a little disappointing. We really haven't had much of a winter in central Pennsylvania. I had the snowblower serviced so we may not see any at all. When I first bought the snowblower a few years ago, we went without snow for three years. The Tavern owner Keith, thanked me profusely. Appreciate the added comments--most helpful. If I buy too much gear, I won't have money for the trip.

Linda
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #33

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17SD
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
<snip> If I buy too much gear, I won't have money for the trip.
I agree that a lug wrench like: Gorilla suits your stated use and travel budget. Compressors capable of running pneumatic tools are very costly, typically limited to dedicated offroad fourwheelers in remote locations where such tools are often used during trailside repairs. An engine belt-driven Sanden or York air conditioner compressor is installed where an OEM A/C compressor would normally be. You'd spend a lot and likely give up your Toyota A/C too. I carry a continuous duty rated compressor in my jeep on trail runs for re-inflating tires before driving on pavement. Its portable, but heavy and fairly costly: Extreme Outback Compressor. I keep this smaller version in my tow vehicle: Q Industries MV50 Compressor, which IMO is well suited to maintaining TV and trailer tire pressures. There are cheaper alternatives, including at Harbor Freight etc...

DirtDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #34

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
My air pump is now in the garage as I recently purchased a Black & Decker Electromate 400. It's a rechargable power station. It is a Jump-starter, Air pump and a power supply with 1 a/c and 1 d/c outlet, plus a light. It gets charged by simply plugging an extension cord and then into any a/c outlet or you can plug it into your cigarette lighter in your tug and charge it while traveling down the road. I plan to make a pig tail for it which will connect to my solar panel when I'm dry camping. But then I can always charge it with generator. Obivously, I don't lack for power.

I actually had been wanting a jump starter in case no one else was around and need a jump. I saw the Electromate 400 last year while at the Quartzsite gathering and knew that's the one I wanted. Compact and is multi-purpose. The Electromate 400 is under $100 at Home Depot.

I'm just a little 5' 2" gal and can get lugs nuts off. I have one of those cross bar type lug wrenches. You can get better torque with them than the straight ones, which lots of vehicles come with. I also carry a rubber mallet which does the job if I run into a stubborn lug nut. Have hardly ever used it. An actual air compressor for pneumatic tools such as, impact wrench would be too heavy and take up too much room.

Another option would be a 12v impact wrench. They work good. I had one, but after carrying it around for several years I found it in pieces. Yes, pieces. The day I went to use it in my driveway I found it in pieces in the box. It literally came apart from simply bouncing around in the Jeep for several years. I purchased it at Harbor Freight, it was not expensive. Made cheap, obviously. One day, when I remember, I'm going to purchase another as when I put mine back together it just didn't want to work.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Extension bar, yes that really does work. Great to know it is not going to be that cold. And maybe a little disappointing. We really haven't had much of a winter in central Pennsylvania. I had the snowblower serviced so we may not see any at all. When I first bought the snowblower a few years ago, we went without snow for three years. The Tavern owner Keith, thanked me profusely. Appreciate the added comments--most helpful. If I buy too much gear, I won't have money for the trip.

Linda
Say you might be surprised this year with weather in Alaska. They are about the only ones getting lots of snow. Abnormal amounts in some places. It just might be a great year for their state bird the "Mosquito". Well, it not really a bird however some people have said they've seen very large ones. The few I saw in 2006 were normal sized.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
LLN

Pennsylvania
Registry
Generator Size & Type

What size & type of generator do you all recommend for the small 13 ft trailer?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #37

Florida
Light

A most interesting aspect of Alaska is the amount of Daylight. It always seems bright.-You have to force yourself to go to bed. If you can't stand sleep when it's bright get something to cover your eyes.

As a partial result the daytime and night time average temperatures are not that different. For June, July and August the typical average high is in the 60s and the average low is around 50.

We also carry a jump starter in our tow vehicle, it was a gift when we started out. I thought it was a waste but we ended up using it at every now and then as well used it to help others.

My most used tool is my Leatherman all purpose tool. I use it at least once a day and don't go out without it. We also carry two walking sticks and light rain jackets where ever we go. We sometimes hiked in the rain.

When we got to ALaska we also bought a can of bear spray. It's not uncommon that at trail heads you'll see signs that say Grizzilie seen on trail today at 10 AM....

When we went north in our small trailer we did carry a 1000 watt generator as well we had the ability to charge the battery from the tow vehicle. Now with solar panels I doubt I'd carry a generator.

We also carry a tire repair kit for nails and the like. We've used it once in 10 years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #38

I have a Honda 2000 generator. The generator has to be enough to start the air conditioner. The majority of Fiberglassers have the 2000 as it is plenty. Not sure I'd carry a generator if I didn't have the air conditioner.

I had a microwave in the trailer but just recently took it out since I really rarely use it. Mostly for heating things up. Well, I can do that on the stove. I might decide to put it back in if I go on a lengthly trip.

My solar panel is 55 watt.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #39

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
Linda
my wife and I went up thru Alberta into b.c. the Yukon territories a big loop thru Alaska to the arctic circle in Alaska and the Yukon. we needed extended rear mud flaps. the front of the 13 foot Big Foot we were in, has much damage from the dirt roads; (hundreds of chips in the glass finish) my brother in law had rubber bolted onto the existing mud flaps, that extended down almost touching the ground, and his had no damage, and no mud, from bottom to the top curve, we were 2 months July 15 thru Sept 20

later kenny
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #40
LLN

Pennsylvania
Registry
Northern Loop

Again, thanks all. I do have an A/C installed on the Scamp. I guess I need to consider solar vs. generator or both. Also, I am going to drive the northern loop, so the flying-mud information is important. Alot to consider. The Tacoma has four good size mudflaps as part of their package, but they are not all the way to the ground in length. Again, appreciate the input. I have been printing all of your comments and then makin margin notes in a notebook.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #41

Florida
Mud Flaps

I also have extended my mud flaps. I think this is a real positive and I would do it on all wheels.

We as well do not carry a mirowave. The space is more valuable than the ability to heat left overs or boil water for tea. We pretty exclusively use our stove or the slow cooker.

If you decide to put vinyl film over the front of your RV please let us know the results. I did notice that a lot of motorhomes put clear vinyl tape, over their headlights and over the lower third or so of their front windows.

We do have a closet AC unit and have only used it for a couple of hours in FL. I suspect it would never be used in Alaska. If you have longterm Generator needs buying a Honda is probably a good investment.

We spent $130 and bought a 1000 watt generator from Harbor Freight for our trip to Labrador. It is still running four years later used by friends for New England power emergencies. Our closet AC draws less than 5 amps.

For lighting and running the water pump the solar panels seem fine. Remember there's a lot more hours of sun shine in Alaska than FL or any where in the lower 48.

As well Solar panels are a lot more fun to carry than a generator and generator gasoline, quieter, always working. As well the ability to charge your battery (s) while driving from solar panels and/or your tow vehicle is valuable.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16