Alaska questions??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2003, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Alaska questions???

Okay, we have decided to drive the Alcan with our little Trillium in tow next month. Several questions arise. One, in wild country like that I feel better with a rifle along. Is there any problem carrying a firearm into Alaska? Two, we are proficient with a 35 mm camera but we are considering taking a movie camera too. Now we have all been forced to endure the dreaded home-movies of others. We would like to edit the finished product with titles, sound-on-sound overlays, and video editing. What would you hi-tech folks recommend as a camera and an editing device. Is there a software program for editing, or, do we require an expensive tv studio editing machine?

I trust there is someone out there who can help. Thanks ever so!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 02:42 PM   #2

ALASKA

Ken, You can no longer take a rifle into the states unless you have a valid hunting licence for the states, or a receipt for a shooting event you are competing in.
since 911 a lot of rules have changed for the worse.
A fellow from Que. lived in a border town and drove over to get gas before going hunting (a distance of 50-75 feet in this town)
Making a very involved story short as possible he spent three months in a US jail, and can not return to the states, because he did not have the required paperwork.

get a digital camcorder, then you can do all your editing on the computer. There is a lot of software available for editing

Old 07-12-2003, 08:34 PM   #3

Thanks Joe! I think you savd me from a problem. I would have expected that reaction from the lower 48 after 9/11 but I doubted Alaska would be so silly about guns.

And, you hit the nail on the head, we just bought a new Sony digital camcorder this afternoon. Upon reading the instructions I find this thing will do everything except cook breakfast. Now if it just had an idiot off switch I might get some good pictures.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:40 PM   #4

Traveling with guns

I know what you mean about taking a rifle along with you. I struggled with this question for many months before deciding not to take my shotgun with me. Usually i take it with me when i go camping in the states. As I am from the lower48, i did not want to deal with the extra hassle of crossing the border 4 times with a firearm. I figure it just gives them another reason to pull you over at the border. I found that there was never a situation where i needed it anyway. Just be "bear smart" with your food and you'll be fine.

Have fun in alaska. It was the most rewarding experience of my life, so far.

Old 07-14-2003, 01:14 PM   #5

Hi All
I have never found a use for a weapon in my entire life when camping.If I needed a weapon I would just stay home or go to safe areas.
My 2cents worth.;)

Old 07-14-2003, 02:17 PM   #6

Packin' Heat

Maybe i should clarify the reasons why i take the gun with me when i go.

If i'm in a state park or organized camprgound, i leave it at home. Always.

In michigan, many state parks have rules against having a loaded firearm. However, i do most of my camping on a few selected sites on state land. As long as you pay the fee and get the license, you can camp anywhere on state land as long as it's not expressly prohibited. These areas are far from roads, hospitals, police stations, and other conviences that we are used to when camping. My cell phone doesn't work at one place that i visit frequently. I don't have the gun for protection from bears or other wildlife. I have it just in case.

Old 07-14-2003, 02:28 PM   #7

be thankfull you can still carry

And you have the choice to carry a firearm. It is your choice ! but knowing what not so say at the crossing and what to say ! that
i have found insightfull here . For what it is worth bdavid i carry when in deep primitive country. 3 shots in the air for help stand a better chance of being heard then finding a placewhere your cell phone would work.:drillsrgt

Old 07-14-2003, 04:24 PM   #8

I do not mean to be an alarmist to you campers, but, I taught Search & Rescue in the far north all across Canada for many years. I know what lives in those woods. Yes, most bears avoid humans. Yes, I have shooed many a black bear out of camp - but there are a few cases on record when only a rifle could salvage the situation.

Here is a case in point. PLEASE, if you are faint-hearted do not click this link.

http://groups.msn.com/KenJamesPhotoAlbum/g...zzlyattack.msnw

Old 07-14-2003, 04:48 PM   #9

Look at this picture that Ken James provided

Does anyone honestly think that a Boler, Trillium or for that matter, any fiberglass or stickbuilt trailer would keep a bear that size out? I don't think so!
Nancy

Old 07-14-2003, 04:51 PM   #10

guns

Ken writes:I do not mean to be an alarmist to you campers, but, I taught Search & Rescue in the far north all across Canada for many years. I know what lives in those woods. Yes, most bears avoid humans.

Ken it sounds as if you already have your answer.

Old 07-14-2003, 04:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Orginally posted by Ken James
Here is a case in point. PLEASE, if you are faint-hearted do not click this link.
Ken, Thanks for NOT posting the photo and giving people a choice. I do appreciate the caution though.

Old 07-14-2003, 05:18 PM   #12

I want to contact the American authorities in hopes of getting a clearance to carry a gun. I have a firearms permit.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Orginally posted by Ken James
I want to contact the American authorities in hopes of getting a clearance to carry a gun. I have a firearms permit.
Do you shoot Black Powder? You may be able to go to a Mountain Man Rendezvous as a competitor, thus have a compitition to attend as part of your trip.

Just a thought. :conf

Old 07-14-2003, 06:12 PM   #14

funny you should mention that

As it turned out there were a supriseing amount of black powder's
at the adirondack mini about 6 of 10 or so . If we only knew before hand !! Amazing how the threads of life cross.
:cheers

Old 07-14-2003, 06:20 PM   #15

A black bear wandered into our camp a couple of weeks ago, and ran right by our trailer.

Two men from another campsite "shooed" it out of the campground (while I watched from inside my trailer).

What I found amazing, was right behind the two men and the bear, were a string of other campers, following along, including several little children, including a baby being carried by the mother.

I swear, people don't realize how quickly that bear could turn and charge.

Reminds me of the time up at Lake Louise when Pam and I watched a tour bus stop at the sight of the grizzly bear ... several camera toting tourists climbed out, with pieces of bread in their outstretched hands.

Talk about stupid!

But, in answer to your question ... bears (like me) are naturally lazy beings. They are quick studies, learning the most efficient, effective method of getting food.

They rarely will go through the trouble of tearing into a hard-sided trailer when there are careless tenters or worse yet, pop-up tent campers, nearby.

One ranger told me they call the pop-up tent campers "picnic baskets" because the bears have learned that one swipe of a paw results in food.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:39 PM   #16

pictures

Ken, I hate to be a nay-sayer, but the picture you posted is a fraud,
I received it in my e-mail about 2 months ago and did some research as I sometimes guide for a local outfitter.
If you follow this link , you'll get the proper info.

Still it was a massive bear, and I wouldn't want to meet up with that size bear unarmed.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:44 PM   #17

Black powder or otherwise

You still need a permit from the batf, it is a form six, can be found on their website in downloadable format, then print it out and mail in the original, keep a copy for yourself. Takes about 4-6 weeks to get it back.
They will only issue this form if you are registered for a shooting event, or if you have a valid US hunting licence.
Trust me on this one, I hunt in the states on a regular basis, and so does my brother who is a licenced outfitter.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:55 PM   #18

Thanks Joe.

So I guess I go without a gun. No real biggie but I always feel better with one onboard. The human predators out there are more scary than any wildlife.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:47 AM   #19

web myth

Thanks for that Joe. I was reluctant to say it first. Web myth is very pervasive it seems.

My instinct tells me that photo number two was taken at a different time of day, at a different geographical location - totaly unrelated to pict number one. The poor guy looks like the victim of a different set of circumstances altogether.

Old 07-15-2003, 09:11 AM   #20

I apologize gang - I was taken in by the hoax.

Still, I have been in grizzly country and there is a genuine concern when it comes to these guys. Everything they come upon becomes theirs and heaven help you if you try to explain to one that the trailer belongs to you.