Alaska Trip pictures - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2003, 09:35 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Alaska Trip pictures

I've created a slideshow with the help of shutterfly.com to view a few of the good pictures from the trip

you can view them here

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de...e21b3217527c413

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:39 PM   #2

Great photos.Glad you showed us.:wave

Old 07-04-2003, 06:18 AM   #3

What an adventure!

Old 07-04-2003, 06:53 AM   #4

Posted by Rick B in a separate thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick B:
[b]Alaska trip

I really enjoyed the photos, as opposed to an 'urban holiday', you captured some peaceful scenes.

You may have passed through my town of Williams Lake, BC- I should do the trip while I am partway there!

Rick B

Old 07-04-2003, 08:05 AM   #5

Locked thread

Hi Mary:

Sorry, I clicked the wrong button, creating a new thread, as opposed to responding to the current one, which was my intent.

Rick B

Old 07-04-2003, 10:00 AM   #6

Absolutely fine, Rick B. If we had thread merging capability, nobody'd ever been the wiser. (And I'm adding that to my wish list for Michael to add to this website!)

:cheers

Old 07-04-2003, 08:39 PM   #7

Trip

I'm jealous! What beautiful pictures. What a wonderful trip.

Old 07-05-2003, 09:42 AM   #8

More

Your photos bring back wonderful memories of my trip to Alaska last August. I was ready to go back before I even got home. I'm going to do it again next year but until then, how about more pictures and a few words about your trip.

Old 07-06-2003, 11:15 AM   #9

Alaska trip

:wave

WOW !! Thanks for the great pictures. A neat way to display your photos. The scenery is beautiful and makes me want to leave today.
How about some words about your trip as we are thinking of making it next year.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:50 PM   #10

Words

I'll try to give a little more detail about the trip, as people keep asking. It's truly hard to put into words, as you can tell from the pictures it's quite amazing. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

First of all, i would say don't believe the hype. When i first started planning for the trip, i read all sorts of horror stories about damage to cars and trailers. I did not put anything special on the front of the car or the trailer, and i came out fine. I did catch a stone on the windshield in the Yukon on the way back home. I think it's important to keep in mind that it's just a road like any other. Remember to keep your speed down when on the gravel and construction and you will be fine. Almost every town you pass will have a tire repair place, because people drive too fast and either blow out a tire or dent their rims. I did not experience wither of those problems while on the alcan, but many others did. I can only attribute it to pulling heavy trailers and driving too fast.

The second thing i would say is just do it. It will be the most rewarding experience of your life. It took me 8 days from Ann Arbor to Fairbanks, but i was stopping often enough to see the sights along the way. If you had two people and did team driving, you could cut a few days off of that time. Also, remember that the further north that you get, the lighter it will be. So you can drive longer if you wish. It's so easy to drive for longer periods of time up there beacuse of the light and the spectaular scenery. I was never bored while driving at any point during the entire trip.

Alaska is a place that is beyond description. It's almost like another country. They refer to the lower 48 as "the states". Like it's a foreign place. Be sure to take the time to go to denali national park. It's worth it to take one of the guided bus tours.

The Northern part of British Columbia, and the the Yukon are unbelievable. It's just beyond description. The only way to "get" what i mean is to experience it yourself. I would often think to myself, as i was taking pictures, that these pictures just pale in comparison to the real thing. There are entire days i would have loved to capture in a picture so that i could show them to others.

When you drive the alcon through BC, the Yukon, and Alaska, you will experience The Wilderness as it truly is. The way few people will ever experience it. I drove for days, seeing nothing but trees, mountains, lakes, and rivers, for thousands of square miles. It's almost like sensory overload. This is a part of the world is where "civilization" is the exception. It's the opposite of how we view things down here.

I truly feel that this experience has tainted my view of the rest of the world. This will the be pinnacle experience that everything i do will be measured against for the rest of my life. I've picked up a saying. "It's no Alaska".

I went to yellowstone national park on the way back home. While it was a truly beautiful and wild place, it was packed with people, access was limited, and the just outside the borders of the park civilization was overflowing. There was an IMAX theatre in west yellowstone, just ouside the park border. After i left i was thinking to myself, Yellowstone was nice, but it' no alaska.

Well, i rambled on a little too much i think. If anyone has some specific questions or wants some advice, reply to this thread and i'll help out however i can...

Old 07-06-2003, 09:46 PM   #11

It's no Alaska.

Very nice, B. David. Thanks for posting that.

You might try Africa (but, alas, you can't bring the travel trailer).

:cblob

Old 07-07-2003, 06:05 AM   #12

It's sounds like my kind of place. We had hoped to get up to Labrador this year but we have to wait. Thanks for the vicarious vacation. I needed to take a breath of northern air. Beautiful pics!

Old 07-07-2003, 09:11 AM   #13

Alaska

You are so right. There is nothing like Alaska. I keep trying to tell people that, and tell them it is a trip you will never regret, and one everyone should do in their lifetime. Bill's sister lives in Anchorage, which gives us a good excuse, and we still havent been there for 8 years. We were going to take a 7 week trip this year at the end of August, but the house remodeling is sucking down our time and cash(naturally), and I am really bummed. I really want to take a nice long trip in the Scamp, and Alaska would be the best. I'm pretty fond of the Canadian Rockies too. Banff and Jasper are pretty amazing also. But the people...lots of them. We prefer "off season" camping, but up there, and here with all the budget cuts, most everything is closed when we like to go. My advice to anyone, is get there at any cost. It is worth it.