Alaska TripReport: Two Weeks in a Springdale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Alaska TripReport: Two Weeks in a Springdale

Yep, LadyHawk & DesertHawk did another 'Fly-Up' to see our son & his family. Three weeks total, two camping with our son & family. Our 4th time to go see them, 3rd time to go camping. This was the longest time spent camping.

Friday, July 26: We drove from Eielson AFB, near Fairbanks, to Eagle River, near Anchorage, after FishHawk, our son, got off work (around noon). A cloudy, rainy day (off & on), we could not see Denali at all due to the cloud cover. Lot of road construction as one comes into the Nat'l Park entrance area from Fairbanks, slow going, but not too rough. Lot of single lane traffic, guided through at times, flagman stop or start other times.

LadyHawk & I had a hotel room reserved in Eagle River. They could not get us a room on Elmendorf AFB, turns out they were having an Air Show Saturday. FishHawk & Fam Stealth Camped in the parking lot of the hotel.

I'll began my account with our stay in Seward:
July 26 ~ 29, 2014- Saturday to Tuesday: We camped on the east shore of Resurrection Bay across the bay from Seward at the City of Seward's Spring Creek Campground on Nash Road. Having no amenities, except a couple dumpsters & port-a-johns, not even designated sites, the campground, though used a lot at times, was never crowded. Used mainly by those there to fish, it was a great place for our 3 granddaughters to ramp & play.

We did some walks along the beach, admired the vistas of the mountains & glaciers as well as Seward across the bay and the mountains & glaciers behind the campground, even the dry dock activity near by was interesting. Several eagles were around, at least one pair as a couple which is a treat to watch & photo. Of course, the boats & ships moving about to & from Seward are neat to watch. Many gulls around to put on a show as well as some crows, which did make a mess of a trash bag left out one night. My son did some fishing, which is his thing to do, but only caught pinks, which he only kept one to cook & eat in camp. Pink or dog salmon are not suited for freezing & not as tasty, he says.

On Monday, the 28th of July, my son drove all 8 of us around the commercial/dry dock area just south of the campground on back roads to where the beach continues on south. A nice walk along the gravel size rocky beach. We walked maybe a mile or so before it was cut by a swiftly moving creek/river with glacier clouded water. It was a windy, cold day with dark clouds around. That evening, it began to rain hardily.

We had been to this campground last year, but did not do the longer beach walk. Last year, Lady Hawk & I were camping in a rented Aliner, the second one rented from the Air Force Outdoor Services at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JEBER) in Anchorage. Our son rented a Springdale TT from Fort Richardson's Outdoor Services for us this year. Nice & roomy & well constructed trailer. Two of our three granddaughters slept with us as they did in the Aliners. Eight in all on our two week camping trip this year, the Springdale was really nice to have at meals & to have a place to hang out on wet, cold & windy days.

Seward is a neat town to visit as well with the Alaska SeaLife Center, places to eat & shopping places. Lot of fishing & sightseeing charters, which we did not do.

We enjoy camping at Seward's Spring Creek Campground. There is a very busy city campground along the waterfront & near harbor/marina in Seward & at least two more more inland, in more forest-like sittings & a Military (Army) campground (an Air Force one has been closed) and perhaps (?), one or more private campgrounds. Water & dump station is across the road from the Waterfront Park Campground. This campground has great views of the marina & harbor & ship traffic as well as the mountains & glaciers, but is also very narrow & the sites are very tightly packed together. Cost: $15 per RV per day. Same as the ones in town, except the ones with hookups, perhaps. Not sure about the military one.

We are now back in Las Cruces. Flew back to Tucson, Sunday, Aug 10. Drove home Wednesday.

LadyHawk & DesertHawk ~ Happy Campers with many Happy Memories!

A few photos:
Hawks @ Alaska SeaLife Center

Campsite Views

Around Campground: Eagles, Fireweed

Window Views Springdale's Bed

FishHawk's Catch

More To Follow.........
Attached Thumbnails
AlaskaSeaLifeCenter.Seward small.JPG   aSewardCsite.JPG  

IMG_1304.jpg   IMG_1237.jpg  

Seward Eagles small.jpg   Seward Eagle small.jpg  

Seward Fireweeds Small.jpg   Seward WindowView.a Small.jpg  

Seward View out Window.b.jpg   Seward Catch.jpg  

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Looks like a lot of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Seward Seward Con't: Seward's Harbor View CampgroundContinued

Seward Con't:
Seward's Harbor View Campground, Not a Bad Looking CG, But Very Close Together & Traffic to contend with.

One of Seward's Inland/Forested Campgrounds, near Military Resort. With a Scamp in one site.

Seward's Dump Station Viewed from Waterfront Campground. Yep, That's the Springdale IN TOW by FishHawk's TC.

View of Spring Creek Campground from HarborView or Waterfront Park Campground. Spring Creek CG is across the Bay, left of the white building.

More to Follow.....
Attached Thumbnails
Seward HarborView CGround .jpg   Seward Harbor Veiw CampGround.jpg  

Seward HarborView GG.jpg   SewardHarborCampGround.jpg  

Seward Forest CG small.jpg   SewardForest CG Scamp small.jpg  

SewardForestCG Tents small.jpg   SewardDumpStation Small.jpg  

Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Wow, Adrian what a dream trip that would be! Someday...

I once spent a week in January at Eielson AFB for an Arctic Survival Course in '81. It was -40 F. at night. We stayed in shelters we built from what nature provided. I vowed to come back under more favorable conditions. The scenery you captured in your pictures re-lit the flame. Thanks for the report!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #5

Seward Con't:

Photos of what I call, 'Glacier View Pebble Beach' were we hiked.

Monday, the day before we left the area. See Why I Call it 'Glacier View Pebble Beach'?

Purchase of Rubber Boots in Fairbanks, A Wise Choice! For each of us.

Glacier River/Creek, Ended Our 'Pebble' Beach Hike.

It had been a very windy, cold day with clouds building up in on the mountains & over the bay as well. Once Back from the Hike, the Weather Reached Us, Rainy Rest of Afternoon, Evening & Night.

But next morning, what a difference.

Having a larger trailer was really nice to weather the Weather in.

DesertHawk in his ManCave.

Tuesday, we moved camp to Cooper Landing & the Russian River Nat'l Forest Campground.

To be Continued at a later time, the Hawk is tired of the computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Seward BeachHike small.jpg   Seward BeachHike Glacier Small.jpg  

Seward BHike Vista.jpg   RubberBoots small.jpg  

Seward BHike River.jpg   Seward BHike GRiver Small.jpg  

Sewaer RainyDay.jpg   Sewart Monday.jpg  

Sewart Tuesday.jpg   ManCave.jpg  

Old 08-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #6

Smile Some Thoughts & Photos: Alaska Sunsets, Rain & Green Landscapes

Yep, Thinking about Alaska Sunsets, Rain & Green Landscapes. We did experience a few. And a few Rainbows as well. Always enjoyable.

Yes, the Monsoons have been around the Southwest. About time! Speaking of Monsoons, I noticed yesterday just how green our Organ Mountains have gotten since we'd been gone. I need to drive out that way tomorrow & take a few pics.

Missed most of the Monsoons, however. As I mentioned, just returned from 3 weeks in Alaska & have been gone about a month in all. Flew out of & back from Tucson, which has been have more rain than Southern New Mexico. Parts of Arizona along I-10 was very green when we drove to Las Cruces Wednesday.

Saw a little bit of rain in Alaska, but lucked out with mostly Sunny, Blue Sky days. Especially, when we were camping.

Here's a Sunset I snapped while driving toward Eagle River & Anchorage, not far out of Wasilla about 3 weeks ago Friday. Checking on Google Maps, the water must have been part of Knik Arm close to where the Knik River enters on the way to Cook's Inlet & out to the Gulf of Alaska.

It had been raining on the way from Fairbanks on & off. Rained that night in Eagle River. Then it was mostly Sunny with Blue Skies. But not really warm, for us anyway.

Saw a lot of water in Alaska: rivers, lakes, creeks, bays, arms of the ocean. Reason it was Extremely Green this year, kind of dry & dusty when there last year. Many WildFires & Smoke from them last year around the Fairbanks area.

Photos will try to convey some of what I have mentioned.

More of the Trip Report Will Follow.....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02514.jpg   DSC02517.jpg  

DSC02518.jpg   DSC02856.jpg  

IMG_1251.jpg   DSC02563.jpg  

DSC03338.jpg   IMG_1323.jpg  

IMG_2465.jpg   IMG_2657.jpg  

Old 08-17-2014, 04:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Wow what a kool trip? Thanks for shareing with us.
----------
Ron
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
what a beautiful trip!! the photos are gorgeous
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #9

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I retire in December from 30 years in Law enforcement. I took a cruise once to Alaska but only got to see the more touristy spots. I want to take a 3-4 month trip from N.C. out west then up into Alaska then finish it off through the Canadian Rockies back into U.S. and return home. I'm a gold prospector at heart and want to go to Chicken Alaska. I know there's not much in Chicken but it's a gold miners thang. Yea, I know thang is spelled wrong LOL. My wife works part time now as a nurse so paying off a few bills and then we should be able to plan the trip I've always dreamed of. However, my parents are not in the best of health and that worries me. One part of me feels obligated to stay close. But then I think if I don't take the trip soon I may never get the chance. I am a 64 hour drive to Chicken from N.C. My plan is to travel 4- 6 hours a day and just take our time; at that rate it would take anywhere from 10-16 days to make it to Chicken.
But I want to be able to take my time and if we decide to stop for a few days in any certain place we can. God willing that's my trip. Just hope it will all come together.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
It looks beautiful. Thanks for giving me some specific sites (and sights) to go with my Alaska dream-trip!
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #11

Smile Alaska TripReport Con't: Russian River/Cooper Landing

July 29 ~ Tuesday, we woke on Resurrection Bay to a sunny, bright day with blue skies, still windy, but a beautiful day. Later, we broke camp, drove to Seward to dump tanks, stop at a Safeway for supplies before driving to Cooper Landing. The day was still sunny with blue skies, but no wind & it was warmer. We would be in tall trees now.

Cooper Landing is a short drive from Seward. Away from the coastline & the sea, it's at a higher elevation with forests & two rivers running through. Like most of Alaska, there was many lakes around with Kenai Lake being considerately large & very long. The area is a noted salmon & trout fishing mecca with loads of guides & places to stay. Mainly on the rivers.

This will be the second time, LadyHawk & I have stayed there. Stopped by last year, but gave up on getting a campsite. FishHawk likes to fish there & to stay at the very popular Russian River CG, a Nat'l Forest Campground, nestled between the large Kenai River & the small Russian River. An extremely neat place & an excellent campground with paved roads & paved sites.

We had to wait a couple of hours to see if we scored a site, this time we waited to see & we did. Normally, they have a 3 day time limit. We were able to get 2 nights. We took the time to fill the fresh water tanks at the dump station, then wait to see our camping fate for the night. Yep, not problems getting a site. An excellent one as well, close to access site to the Russian. $9 per night with my Federal Senior Pass, per site, double site, two RVs & a Durango. Best camping fees on our trip. An extremely nice young woman at the booth, very pleasant & professional.

FHawk & his wife's nephew, Ax, walked down to the Russian River from the campsite soon after getting the campsite setup. After awhile, the rest of us walked down. There's an excellent system of walkways setup with steps & ramps going down the somewhat steep 'canyon' like hillsides to the river.

A walkway/boardwalk then makes it way along the bank of the river to the confluence of the Kenai. At times, this is a raised metal and/or a man-made material. Other times, it's laid onto the surface. Usually, there are side rails along the path/boardwalk. At intervals, access boardwalks extent over to the river with steps down into the river. This boardwalk system runs from the confluence of the Kenai with many entry/exit stairways/ramps up to parking areas for well over a mile, when the boardwalk ends with a more natural path/trail going on. It's constructed & maintained to keep the vegetation from being destroyed & keep the river unpolluted, to keep the salmon stream healthy.

We didn't walk all the way to the confluence. Our fishermen had, but without luck. We had returned to camp for some time before they returned. We had a late supper that night. After supper, our son & his wife when down to fish & to give her some away time from the girls. G'ma & Papa watched them. They watched videos in the Springdale. Computers are neat things.

We had seen numerous fishing along the Kenai driving in. FH reported, it was crowded at the confluence, too. Some were having success. It's a beautiful area. Down along the Russian, it seemed much like a rain forest with huge ferns growing.

We had another fulfilling day!

To be Continued......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1711.jpg   DSC02806.jpg  

DSC02811.jpg   DSC02813.jpg  

DSC02818.jpg   DSC02821.jpg  

DSC02820.jpg   IMG_1723.jpg  

DSC02824.jpg   IMG_1737.jpg  

Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #12

Smile Con't. Russian River Campground, Cooper River

Wednesday, We woke to another sunny day & somewhat warm for Alaska standards. Taking a break from fishing. We took the Durango to the trail head of the Russian River Falls Trail. The trail head is just down the road from the several camping loop within the area of the campground boundaries. A 2.3 mile hike mostly up hill to the falls, which proved to an easy to moderate hike. Extremely picturesque place with two viewing decks & salmon trying jump & swim up the stair step falls with a gaggle of others milling around in the poll at the base. Carried lunches with us & water of course. It took a good part of the day, we spent a long time viewing the falls/salmon. Extremely enjoyable! Made the entire 4.6 mile hike without a problem. So much better than last year (I wouldn't have tried it). Surprised everyone, even me (except LHawk).

FHawk & Ax went back to the confluence fishing after returning. I rested my back from the hike on my bed. Everyone else mainly rested & the kids played outside.

After the fishermen return, still without success, FHawk, once again, grilled our supper for us. He grilled most evenings for supper, a really good master grill chef.

FishHawk's FRS walkie talkie, a CB-like, radio slipped out his shirt pocket when bent over in the river & floated away. Another fisherman retrieved it for him down stream. It worked at first. He called his DW to ask her to drive to an access closer to the confluence to pick them up. At first, she could not understand him. After giving it a couple slaps, she could then hear him. He used it a few more times, then it stopped. After taking the battery out, air drying it with a hair dryer, it started to work again. After monkeying with it awhile, it stopper again.

All in All, it was a Extremely Rewarding Day!

More coming later......
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02833.jpg   DSC02848.jpg  

DSC02880.jpg   IMG_1868.jpg  

DSC02871.jpg   DSC02868.jpg  

IMG_1842.jpg   IMG_1965.jpg  

DSC02869.jpg   DSC02877.jpg  

Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #13

Smile To Papa-T concerning Chicken

Our son has caribou hunted in the Chicken area, two or three times. Always has been successful. What he has said & the photos he has shared with us of the area, it is extremely Alaskan with it's colorful lichen covered rocky hills with tundra instead of grass and/or trees. Especially, in the Fall with the tundra in a blaze of color.

It would be a difficult landscape to hunt. They often could not get the ATVs close to the fallen animals, due to the often boggy tundra in the low areas. Take a strong, young person for it. IMHO.

He & his hunting buddies have had some adventures out that way. Often sleeping out in the tundra in tents. Always camping out way in the boondocks.

Chicken does have a campground, a small general store, an air port a few other things. It's on the way to the Yukon as well. Plenty of places to boondock closer to the town, too.

He has a gold pan now, as far I know hasn't used it yet. Other's at the Air Force Base have & some have used water pressure & scuba gear to hunt for it.

Good Luck with your Quest!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
It's addictive for sure. I will never get rich prospecting. Usually I never make enough to pay for the gas. BUUUUUUTTT, you never know where the big nugget is lying. All those tiny specks come from something bigger. My brother in-law prospects in Vermont and does pretty good at times. Were heading up state N.Y. in October to visit him and my DW sister. Him and I are going to hit the creeks in Vermont to his secret spot while were there.
This is what I usually find on a decent day.

This is what my brother in-law was finding last year.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #15

Smile AK Report Continued: Soldotna Next.....

July 31 ~ Thursday: We moved camp down the Sterling Hwy. to the Centennial Park Campground, a city of Soldotna park & another major fishing site on the Kenai River. My wife & I had camped here once before on an earlier trip.

As our custom, we stopped at the Soldotna Fred Meyer for much needed supplies first thing. Campground Cost: $25 per night each RV in July, a peak fishing month (next day August 1, it would be $20).

After setting up camp & eating lunch, FishHawk read 31 July was the last day to dip net for salmon on the Kenai. Off we raced to the dip net area, stopping on the way to get a permit at Fish & Game on the way. Only a Alaska Resident may use dip nets.

Got to the dip netting area by the bridge over the Kenai well before high tide. Can only dip net close to the ocean. High tide is the best time to dip net.

The were quite a few people lined along the river trying their luck & a few in boats out in the river also with dip nets. FHawk had dip netted here last year when we were visiting. It's a long processes, one in which one need a good pair of hip boots or higher duck hunting waders. Stand in the water with the long 6' to 8' or longer handled 5' net upright in the river. Wait for a salmon to swim into the net. After a long time netting with many others having success around him, he netted a good sized pink salmon, not his favorite kind for they do not freeze well. We had it grilled (wrapped in foil) for supper. Very tasty freshly caught.

Another bright, sunny day in Soldotna & Kenai area, but very windy & chilly by the river near it's mouth near the town of Kenai. Pretty with two or three volcanos in the distance.

The campground is pretty with most of the sites nestled in trees. The roads & sites are gravel. It's not a resort. The draw is the fishing area within walking distance of many campsites. It has a boat ramp, fish cleaning tables, nice rest rooms (not so nice in the campground), a large parking area & a wide well maintained walkway set back from the river with access boardwalks out to the river with steps down to the water.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02908.jpg   IMG_2037.jpg  

IMG_2038.jpg   DSC02913.jpg  

IMG_2062.jpg   DSC02909.jpg  

IMG_2072.jpg   DSC02919.jpg  

DSC02921.jpg   DSC02922.jpg  

Old 08-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #16

Arrow A Few More Pics From Soldotna

First 5 pics ~ Soldotna Centennial Park Fishing Area.
Sorry about the second photo, I must have moved.

6th pic of neat old fiberglass Mini Class C I assume on a Dully Ford Ranger, we saw in the Fred Meyer parking lot.

Last 4 pics ~ From Dip Netting Area & Volcanos seen from there:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02928.jpg   DSC02929.jpg  

DSC02923.jpg   DSC02924.jpg  

DSC02925.jpg   DSC02905.jpg  

IMG_2031.jpg   IMG_2034.jpg  

IMG_2048.jpg   IMG_2020.jpg  

Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #17

Smile A Few Signs We Saw in Alaska

Signage Could be Informative and/or Attractive. Both makes them even better.

Rose's Cafe is one of the few places one can eat after leaving Fairbanks to Wasilla. We had eaten there, but not this year. We'd did a potty break near it. It's in the Healy area, just before getting to Healy from Fairbanks. Just past Dry Creek. On our first fly up (2010) to go see our newly born granddaughter, we'd driven down to Denali Nat'l Park & ate there. It was late in the Season, most of the shops & lodgings, etc. were closed & being boarded up for the winter. Being allowed to drive farther into the park (to the large staging & restroom area the tour busses taking visitors into the park, than normal. After leaving the park, we were out of food. Rose's was open. Wasn't too bad eating, nothing to rave about. We were happy it was open.

The "Welcome To" Sign Both Informative & Attractive.

The rest gives insight about Russian River Campground & Fishing Area.

The Graying Sign is for the nearest Access point in the CG to the Confluence of the Russian & Kenai Rivers.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02464.jpg   DSC03686.jpg  

DSC02896.jpg   DSC02897.jpg  

DSC02898.jpg   DSC02899.jpg  

DSC03126.jpg   DSC03223.jpg  

DSC03226.jpg   DSC03241.jpg  

Old 08-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #18

Arrow AK Report Continued: Homer & Homer Spit

Aug 1, Friday: We drove south from Soldotna along the west coast of the Kenai Peninsula to Homer. Again, it was a sunny, blue sky day, a simply beautiful day. Following the coastline, but with trees & vegetation too thick or high to see Cook's Inlet to our right very often. Often only glimpse of it and/or the land across it, especially the three or four volcanos which were visible scattered alone that distant coast.

Very beautiful sights, although somewhat covered by clouds, some more or less than others. All apart of the Pacific's Ring of Fire. Also saw one or two area driving to the Soldotna & Kenai area & especially by the Kenai dip netting, two or thee. I do not believe, the one's seen on this drive were all the same ones from the day before.

Very scenic, fantastic vistas, nearer Homer, as well as in Homer & on the Spit. Many glaciers vistas from Home. We did stop at a few of the too few vista photo pull offs. Mostly closer to Homer.

A very large & nice vista point is found on top of the hill just before descending into the town. Grand vistas of the distant landmass & at least one volcano, Homer's Spit & the Kachhemak Bay & mountains & glaciers on the far side of the bay, as well as an island or three.

Quite a view on a clear day, we had a moderately clear one. Extremely enjoyable! Cook's Inlet & Kachhemak Bay are extensions of the Gulf of Alaska. Cook's Inlet leads to Anchorage & Turnagain Arm as well as Knik Arm which is near Eagle River, Wasilla & Palmer.

The view of the mountains & glaciers as one drives into Homer is quite grand. Then a little farther on one drops down to a low slough area, then out into the Kachemak Bay on the Spit jutting out into the waters.

To Be Continued......
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02940.jpg   DSC02942.jpg  

IMG_2090.jpg   DSC02959.jpg  

DSC02963.jpg   DSC02962.jpg  

DSC02964.jpg   DSC02966.jpg  

DSC02972.jpg   DSC02978.jpg  

Old 08-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #19

Thumbs up Homer Spit Campground

Homer Spit is thin strip of sand & pebbles jutting 4.5 miles into the Kachemak Bay. The spit is home to the Homer Boat Harbor. The harbor contains both deep & shallow water docks and serves up to 1500 commercial & pleasure boats at its summer peak. The Spit features the longest road into ocean waters in the entire world, taking up 10–15 minutes to cover by car.

FishHawk (our son) found the city campground on the spit, he'd camped at in the past & wanted to do so again was now only for tents or RVs 20' or less. It was also very filled with tents, no room for us anyway. This campground is on the west side or wave action side of the Spit.

Across the Hwy. (on calmer side of the Spit) was a larger campground, also city. It is by a manmade lagoon. The Fish Lagoon Campground sites along sections nearest the bay & by the lagoon were filled. There were plenty of empty sites in the 'Back 40' & the meddle section as well as those on the side fronting the highway.

We choice 2 sites side by side in the meddle area. Cost: $15 per RV. Could've parked both RVs in one site, but rules said must pay for 2 sites, so took two sites. Another easy setup, thus far each site has proven to be somewhat level side to side requiring adjusting just with the 4 stabilizer jacks on the trailer.

FishHawk, Ax & the 3 girls tried fishing in the lagoon (man-made with a small access cut to the bay which can be closed off by low tides). It was full of salmon which were released from the lagoon into the bay as smolts in earlier years. They return to this lagoon to spawn as mature salmon (mostly Red Salmon, but King as well. But can not because it is salt water. The returning salmon simple swim around, jumping out of the water again & again.

Many salmon were being caught, but many more trying to catch them were not being successful. Our anglers were among the later.

I'm not sure how any are caught. Rules state: can't snag them (not snagging hooks allowed), must be hooked in the mouth, but they are no longer feeding. Most were casting & reeling lures with the idea of the line getting into a fish's mouth, then the hook. Lures were feathery like large flies, bright or shinny spoons, spoons mimicking salmon eggs which they try to scoop into the mouth to go re-bury & artificial squids. Some had bobbers out with bated hooks, not sure with what. Our Fishermen tried everything except the bobbers on the few days we were there. No luck. Not only in the lagoon, also in the bay.

Friday evening, our son & his wife were able to book a half day halibut charter for Sunday, earliest available for a half day. This was the main reason for them coming to Homer. I did feel I was up to halibut fishing. Our daughter-in-law had never gone. Her nephew would be going also, his second time.

There were a couple of large ships anchored off the Spit (calmer side). We believe they were collecting salmon catch from smaller salmon fishing boats.

At low tide, water levels in the lagoon were very low indeed.

To Be Continued......
Attached Thumbnails
HomeSpitCampsite.jpg   IMG_2139.jpg  

IMG_2148.jpg   IMG_2238.jpg  

IMG_2149.jpg   IMG_2147.jpg  

IMG_2175.jpg   DSC02995.jpg  

DSC03002.jpg   DSC03034.jpg  

Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #20

Arrow Homer & Homer Spit Report Continued

Saturday, Aug. 3, Drove to Homer:
Ace Hardware, Farmers Market (lot of Arts & Crafts, as well as food), ate lunch @ "Mermaid Cafe Cajan Food & Sausages", (Lot of Poor Boys; limited menu, LadyHawk had cup of Red Beans & Rice with cornbread, I had cup of Chicken Gumbo & a salad, both good, but wouldn't return), took a scenic drive into hills above the city, found a neat city park with neat playground and before returning stopped at "Boss Hoggz", a burger, milk shake/malts/ice cream, BBQ place on one end of a gas station/convince store, the Petrol Express for shakes & malts. LH & I shared a small cup of vanilla ice cream a treat for us.

The Scenic Drive had Great Vistas of Homer Spit, the mountains & glaciers across the Bay. Well worth the effort to drive up it.

After supper, we all walked to the harbor, found the charter boat. Then crossed over Hwy. to ocean side to walk back to the campground. Many of the shops & cafes are on stilts overlooking the beach along there.

Always so nice & refreshing walking on a beach, even pebble beaches.

A very enjoyable day.

To be continued........
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2271.jpg   IMG_2252.jpg  

IMG_2266.jpg   IMG_2275.jpg  

IMG_2294.jpg   IMG_2201.jpg  

IMG_2208.jpg   IMG_2226.jpg  

DSC03013.jpg   IMG_2215.jpg