Alberta Floods - check in please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Alberta Floods - check in please

I've been watching the news about the flooding in Alberta and wondering how some of our members like David Tilston are doing?

Can those affected please check in and let us know how you are doing? Is there anything we can be doing to help?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We live up higher in Calgary and were unaffected by the flooding, but both our kids were evacuated from their homes. Not likely that they will see much damage, but were in areas where access and many services were cut off. They are staying with us now.

The damage caused by the rushing waters, and the subsequent flooding is extensive, the full extent not likely known until the water recedes more. Lots of homes lost, or badly damaged. Places like the Saddledome (home of the Calgary Flames) was flooded up to the 10th row seating as of the last report earlier yesterday, LRT tunnels and underpasses completely flooded. Other communities to the west and south suffered even worse damage.

We went out to our rec property yesterday, which is about 80 minutes NW of our place, which is located on the James River, a small tributary river that you walk across in most places mid summer and not get your knees wet. Fortunately, we only lost a few acres due to the high water levels, along about 1/4 mile of the river bank, along with all the big trees that grew there. As we stood there watching, more bank was sloughing off, and a couple trees fell in the water. Lots of trees floating by too. Our buildings were not affected, but now after a couple big floods (2005 and this year) are at least 75' closer to the water, and will have to be moved. Here are some quick phone shots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-21 16.56.32.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	60846

My wife and SIL looking at the carnage. This is our cookhouse, which used to be about 150' from the river when we built it.

Name:	2013-06-21 16.57.04.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	60847

If you look from where I am standing to take this, and look to the point ahead on the right bank, most of this area to the right of this line was lost, PLUS a heck of a lot more upstream.

Name:	2013-06-21 17.03.17.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	60848
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Wow ..... that does look like a lot of loss , not good . Glad you and your family are all ok , we too are lucky - family as well . It was a surprise to come home to on Thursday evening , we only new of Canmore really . Radio reports were mostly about Canmore ( Trans Canada ) and BC flooding . Hadn't been back in Calgary since a week before the rally and not much communication the last week .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Good to hear no loss of life as of this morning and your family with you. Take care.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #5

Registry
There have been 3 confirmed death near High River south of Calgary. As unfortunate as that is, it sure could have been worse.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There's no problem at all up here in the Edmonton area, so we have been sending police officers, soldiers with transport equipment, and river rescue crews (with vessels including an airboat) down to help.

Canadian Blood Services is asking us to make sure that we keep appointments to donate, not because of any increased need (there are few injuries), but because blood clinics in the affected areas have had to cancel appointments.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #7

Registry
Those affected have had amazing support from many sources, both locally and for other areas as Brian mentioned. A bit of a feel good thing amongst the devastation.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #8

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Good luck to all you folks up there.....our thoughts and prayers are with you and your families. Be safe!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Like Jim we also live on higher ground as do my parents and other family members so we are all OK.

The magnitude of the flooding and damage is unbelievable, The Emergency response has been equally impressive. There ability to evacuate 100,000 residents in such a short time period demonstrated their skills and planning.

I store both my Casita and Boler just outside Calgary at an RV storage lot, yesterday I went out and was very happy to see both high and dry. The Boler is now home as I continue with this years upgrades and modifications.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Sorry, Late to the party again. We are fine, I have been posting updates on my belly band thread. We are on the east side of the river, and I work on the west side. Friday was a flood day. I did some work on the trailer, but then I took the family out to the hill that looks over the river. What a sight! Things that I never expected to be underwater, were. There is a CN bridge across the river that I used to ride my bike across. The rail line went right over Dearfoot Tr as well. Very convenient, if very bumpy.

From the belly band thread:
Ah yes, the flood. We are near the river, but about 30-40 ft above it. Many of the kids that my kids go to school with, are out of their homes. In fact, how we found out that our neighboring community was being evacuated was that my sociable daughter started getting, "R U OK?" texts, and offers of a place for my family to stay. This from people who only know of us through our kids. Wow. I love my city.
We started to reach out to the people who, we know live in that community. We woke up one person who after five minuets of conversation, she started to hear the loud speaker making the announcement. We offered our place to stay, but they have family in the city.
Attached Thumbnails
Flood 2013 - 01.jpg   Flood 2013 - 02.jpg  

Flood 2013 - 03.jpg   Flood 2013 - 04.jpg  

Flood 2013 - 05.jpg   Flood 2013 - 06.jpg  

Flood 2013 - 07.jpg   Flood 2013 - 08.jpg  

Flood 2013 - 09.jpg   Flood 2013 - 10.jpg  

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Amazing......... never ever would have expected to see this in Calgary ( never want to again )
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #12

Registry
Here is a slide show someone put together. The enormity of the disaster is overwhelming. A disaster unprecedented for this area.

Smilebox Playback
Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... We went out to our rec property yesterday, which is about 80 minutes NW of our place, which is located on the James River, a small tributary river that you walk across in most places mid summer and not get your knees wet. Fortunately, we only lost a few acres due to the high water levels, along about 1/4 mile of the river bank, along with all the big trees that grew there. As we stood there watching, more bank was sloughing off, and a couple trees fell in the water. Lots of trees floating by too. Our buildings were not affected, but now after a couple big floods (2005 and this year) are at least 75' closer to the water, and will have to be moved. Here are some quick phone shots.

Attachment 60846

My wife and SIL looking at the carnage. This is our cookhouse, which used to be about 150' from the river when we built it.

Attachment 60847

If you look from where I am standing to take this, and look to the point ahead on the right bank, most of this area to the right of this line was lost, PLUS a heck of a lot more upstream.

Attachment 60848
Jim: Since in Alberta, ownership of the river beds is generally by the Crown (i.e. the government), I was wondering how the erosion of banks onto private land such as yours would impact you relative to land ownership. Seems to me that with extensive erosion, you could have the Crown owned river running over land that would be considered as yours. Did a quick Google search and came up with this file that seems to have the answers: http://srd.alberta.ca/FormsOnlineSer...s-Oct-1997.pdf
They seem to be stating that you have the right to reinstate your land to the condition it used to be prior to the erosion. I imagine the cost to do this would be prohibitive for you. Any plans for armouring the existing river banks?

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #14

Registry
Dave, we are basically resigned to the loss of land. We have looking into armouring with rip rap, at least in a section where deflection of the flow would have the biggest effect. The costs for bringing in the amount of rock we would need are very high. We could likely spend $50k, or more getting it done. You do need permission to do this, but there is little doubt it would be granted to us.

Between 2005, this year, and a bit of flooding last year, I imagine we have lost nearly 10 acres of forested land. Around the bend though, there is a build up of silt and gravel, that in 50 years or so might be usable.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Home owners at Deep Bay, a sand spit, have placed rip rap to stop erosion by the ocean. What they accomplished is accelerated erosion of neighboring properties. Water also has a way of sneaking up from behind.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The costs for bringing in the amount of rock we would need are very high. We could likely spend $50k, or more getting it done. You do need permission to do this, but there is little doubt it would be granted to us.
Not to mention the Federal Government brought in new tougher laws recently in regards to remedial work down on river and ocean properties in order to protect the fish .... making the pre environmental assessments and authorization required and the cost of the work very costly..... don't ask how I know this!!

Sorry to hear of your property loss Jim but glad to hear your family is all safe and sound.

The photos coming in from Alberta are something else, my heart goes out to those who have lost everything and it looks like thousands of families have. Very sad to see.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Between 2005, this year, and a bit of flooding last year, I imagine we have lost nearly 10 acres of forested land. Around the bend though, there is a build up of silt and gravel, that in 50 years or so might be usable.
I don't want to minimize the genuine loss of Jim and other landowners but...
Isn't that how nature has always worked?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't want to minimize the genuine loss of Jim and other landowners but...
Isn't that how nature has always worked?
Yes, government has got to start looking at the big picture, and to me that means restricting certain types of development within the flood plains of our river systems. Ideally, if construction of private dwellings and businesses were restricted to outside of the flood plain, there should be minimal risk of damage to those structures during these flood events (which yes, are expected on a periodic basis). We can allways use more parkland, playing fields, hiking paths, campgrounds and other infrastructure that could be built on lands adjacent to our rivers.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I serve on a local community based board that gets the unfortunate task of hearing appeals from residents who have had their building schemes turned down by the local government. In recent years there has been a big change in local codes regarding how close buildings can be located to streams/rivers/ocean and steep banks etc, not only for environmental reasons but due to the dangers of mother nature deciding to let loose with rain one night or the ocean whips up big waves and the home owners finding themselves trapped in a home that has collapsed down a bank into the water or is covered in mud from an uphill slide. Some of the changes to requirements are the result of new Federal environmental laws but most of them have been developed by local government who knows the area much better than the Feds & what happens in this area during wet stormy weather & due to having computer programs that can map out for them what will happen in the event of a water rising just an inch or two - they simply want to prevent further property or human losses.

Never easy to hear that someone has put their life savings into purchasing a property and gone into the local government with their dream home plans in hand only to be told they cant build it as they want and that it needs to be moved much further back from the property line or water line which resulting in a much smaller home or in one situation it was questionable if anything at all of a livable sized home could be safely built on the property due to the restrictions placed on it. Not an easy situation for anyone - & sure as heck not even the folks who have to be the barrier of the bad news to the property owners. Is it better to suggest the homeowner cut their losses now & be a bit more diligent in doing their homework prior to purchasing property in the future or is it better to let the property owner spend a few hundred thousand more on their project and risk losing it all in the future - next winter or 10 to 25 years from now or maybe never if they are lucky? Would be nice if our Big Government was to be the party to bring in stronger legislation on the topic and then we could just blame it on them! Always makes a situation easier if you can just blame Big Brother for it. ;-)

Unfortunately the situation in Alberta and much of Manitoba is such that most of the big cities have been built on a floodplain. Not sure what can be done at this point.

As I said it is heartbreaking to see the devastation and personal losses for everyone involved in this weeks events including members here :-( but I am struggling with whether there really is an easy fix to preventing it from happening again in the future. If there is you can be sure its not going to be a popular one!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Unfortunately the situation in Alberta and much of Manitoba is such that most of the big cities have been built on a floodplain. Not sure what can be done at this point.
Toronto did it after Hurricane Hazel. The created the Toronto Region Conservation Authority. About : TRCA
Wikipedia gives better explanations Toronto and Region Conservation Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This one has better pictures of my neighbourhood
Effects of Hurricane Hazel in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Homes that were destroyed were not allowed to be rebuilt, waterflow control measures were put into place and parkland was created. Prime reason for Toronto calling itself the "City Within A Park".

Carol, I feel for you dealing on those boards. Sometimes the politicians and planners make decisions on generalities and are not site specific. After Hurricane Hazel they rebuilt the Lawrence Ave Bridge, about 10 houses from me and raised a portion of the street so it was not so steep. The street is now higher than my front door. My hardscaping now prevents the water from coming in the front door when the overloaded antiquated sewer system can't handle the load.

The planners allowed a solid wall 2 stories high be built on the uphill side of my property line for a parking garage. Then they allowed an 8 storey apartment on my rear property line. Years later they modified the River Bylaw setting limits for landscaping X meters from the center of the Humber River. Lo and behold the map puts almost my entire back yard in the restricted zone for grading. Then they enacted the downspout disconnection by-law where all the downspouts are to be removed from the sewer system.

That's when I called the inspector over for a site visit. They were adamant that I had to believe the map lines until they got here. I explained my landscaping and grading plans to resolve all the problems they created. I was given unofficial permission to fix things as long as I didn't tell anybody. Then I was chastised for planting a Black Austrian Pine rather than a native species. I apologized letting them win.

They can fix the problems to prevent extreme damage in the future, but it has to be a co-operative effort to work.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote