Aliner Folding Campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

How water tight are the hard sided Aliner Folding Trailers? Seems like their are some on this forum who have them. We will be going to Yellowstone in June along with our daughter and her husband. They will be renting an Aliner for the trip. Just curious, as to how they do in rain?
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
How water tight are the hard sided Aliner Folding Trailers? Seems like their are some on this forum who have them. We will be going to Yellowstone in June along with our daughter and her husband. They will be renting an Aliner for the trip. Just curious, as to how they do in rain?
Check with your reservation, I don't know first hand, but I was talking to an owner once who said he was denied a site in an area for For hardsided campers only , because they considered the A-liner to be a pop-up which would allow bears and such to simply fold the thing into a sandwich with minor preesure on the sides. Otherwise I am told that they are very pleasant and good to tow and dry in inclement weather. More like a travel trailer than a pop-up for camping and more like a pop-up than a travel trailer for towing! {Again heresay}
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Aliner
I replied on the other forum, but our little Aliner's roof has never leaked except when a vent worked loose and needed resealing, and we have a tiny seeping leak at the rear of the roof that I can't find the source of. The wood under the wallpaper is slightly bubbled there, but we have never felt water inside the trailer from it.

In cold weather, there is a lot of condensation, but we just carry a Swifter mop and put a washcloth on the end and wipe the peak of the roof down, and it takes care of it.

I've been in some awful thunderstorms with strong wind gusts and felt secure in the Aliner.... so far!

Quote:
Otherwise I am told that they are very pleasant and good to tow and dry in inclement weather. More like a travel trailer than a pop-up for camping and more like a pop-up than a travel trailer for towing! {Again heresay}
That's a perfect description, Floyd.

The only reason I want an egg is because I think it would be stronger in heavy wind, and I want a real toilet with a larger holding tank than the cassette toilet in the Aliner. I do think I would miss the interior height of the Aliner, though.

The real truth is that I have fallen in love with the folks on the fiberglass forums, and would love to be a REAL part of the community!

Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
The real truth is that I have fallen in love with the folks on the fiberglass forums, and would love to be a REAL part of the community!
You are by just being here.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
WOW! I feel like I just had a cyberhug!

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
WOW! I feel like I just had a cyberhug!

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #7

Thumbs down

.......would love to be a REAL part of the community!

Quote:
I agree with Chester, and Thanks for your posts!

I do think I would miss the interior height of the Aliner, though.
We stopped at a used RV dealer this morning when we saw a Chalet, similar to an Aliner, I was very surprised how much headroom it had and how roomy it seems and it was a smaller one, not the smallest. Very nice units.

Floyd, Thanks for your concern, Check with your reservation, I don't know first hand, but I was talking to an owner once who said he was denied a site in an area for For hardsided campers only , because they considered the A-liner to be a pop-up which would allow bears and such to simply fold the thing into a sandwich with minor preesure on the sides. Otherwise I am told that they are very pleasant and good to tow and dry in inclement weather. More like a travel trailer than a pop-up for camping and more like a pop-up than a travel trailer for towing! {Again heresay} But we were there last year and there were tent trailers next to our site as well as people in tents. As far I know Fishing Bridge is the only one which does not allow soft sided campers, it could have turned away an Aliner I assume as well. We have never gone with making a reservation so far in Yellowstone and more than likely will not. Too late by now anyway, I am thinking.

Thanks for all your replies!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We have a Chalet. When we bought it the salesman used the "you can camp in Yellowstone with this camper" line as part of his pitch. Made me laugh. I saw a show once where some fool left food on the seat of his car and a bear removed the door to get it. Anyway, when we were there the camper was not an issue. Lots of tents, hybrids, pop ups etc.

Because of the folding nature of the camper, water getting in can be an issue.

If the camper has roof vents, which I'm sure it will, they will be mounted backwards i.e. opening toward the tow vehicle. Make sure they are secured when traveling as they don't last long at interstate speeds and leave a rather large hole when missing.

In a hard rain we have had leaks in the corners due to the foam that seals them coming loose. Look for daylight in the corners and replace the foam if needed. It's a once in a while maintenance issue.

If you fold down in the rain it's a good idea to remove as much water as possible from the A-walls otherwise it will end up on the bed. We cover the bed with a plastic sheet just in case we miss some.

Hope this helps. Have a safe trip, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I almost got an Alite 400 before I found my 13 ft Burro. I thought it was pretty cool, a bed in a box, so to speak, and would be comfortable enough if stuck in a storm some where.

That said, I have read in my research that wind is a bigger problem than rain. the sides collapse after the wind lifts up on the roof a little.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #10

Quote:
That said, I have read in my research that wind is a bigger problem than rain. the sides collapse after the wind lifts up on the roof a little.
Gina, wind is a concern. If a strong wind blows when you are putting the Aliner up, it can rip the roof off its hinges. Also in a storm, you are not supposed to leave your roof vents open because theoretically, you could also lose your roof that way, too. (My details are fuzzy. I remember reading an explanation a long time ago, but my brain doesn't handle engineering concepts!) Aliner does sell a wind kit that is basically two straps with ratchets that prevent that from happening.

One of the engineers on the Aliner board a long time ago calculated that the A sides could stand gusts up to 59 MPH before collapsing. Some owners have come up with some clever ways to strengthen the wind resistance. But they advise keeping the Aliner front pointed into the wind in bad weather.

That is a huge reason for my interest in eggs. I read a story once about a little Casita in Florida weathering a hurricane with no damage.

That impressed the heck out of me!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #11

Red face

On the Scamp Factory web site, they have this in the TESTIMONIALS section: Scamp Trailers have survived tornados, hurricanes, and everything else you can imagine. One owner wrote, "I know it is a strange way to test things, but when hurricane Hugo left us without power for four days the Scamp filled our needs..." http://www.scamptrailers.com/Family/Testimonials.aspx