All Electric Egg Camper - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Thumbs up

I keep watch on the Egg Camper website - dream, dream, dream. They now show a total electric camper without propane. Has bath with shower and everything. I sort of like the idea. We have had 7 standard campers in the past always with the propane and without it - well, one less thing to hassle with, maybe? I did know someone who set up a camper in one of those cargo trailers and they went all electric. So I am thinking "good idea or not so good". What do you think in your experiences with camping? Thank you. Cathy

Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
If you plan on being an RVer and always stay in RV parks or place were electricity is available then all electric is OK. If you think you might get "off the grid" at times then it won't work so well. I've actually gone the other way and want my trailer to work without being on the grid. We spent this past week-end in an Oregon State Park where full hook-ups were available, but because of site location chose to be in a non-electric site. Battery and propane did their thing and we had a warm comfortable week-end.

If you're set up to be off the grid you can camp anyplace, if you're set up to only on the grid your camping spots are limited, which is OK if that's what you want.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
They did mention that you would have the option of running a generator for off-grid. I sort of consider them a hassle though since if seems that many places limit there use because of the noise they create. Cathy
Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
my friggie is a 110 which can be an inconvenience.. like Byron said unless you hook up to a site with electricty or take a generator your sortta outta luck... or just go with a ice cooler for food. I would love to switch over to a 3 way but vents would have to be cut and copper piping put in.. and i think to much hassle for that... if i do switch it might be just battery and 110. I do have the propane hot water tank and the heater tho... I might consider a generator one of these days..but its just one more 'heavy' thing for me to try to lift and haul around...
Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
They did mention that you would have the option of running a generator for off-grid. I sort of consider them a hassle though since if seems that many places limit there use because of the noise they create. Cathy
I saw that. In my opinion generators are noisy, polluting, require maintenance, and a system just waiting to fail when you need it most. That's beside the fact they are banned in many places totally and a lot more places banned between 10pm and 7am. I also don't think they're any safer than propane, spilling volatile gasoline is a hazard.

One of the beauties of our little trailers is simplicity. The fewer systems to deal with the less hassle there are to maintain and more time spent enjoying than fixing.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 75 Boler
Quote:
I keep watch on the Egg Camper website - dream, dream, dream. They now show a total electric camper without propane. Has bath with shower and everything. I sort of like the idea. We have had 7 standard campers in the past always with the propane and without it - well, one less thing to hassle with, maybe? I did know someone who set up a camper in one of those cargo trailers and they went all electric. So I am thinking "good idea or not so good". What do you think in your experiences with camping? Thank you. Cathy
Our Red boler is 12v/110 only. no fridge, only an Ice box and 12v car cooler, 110/12v heat

Click image for larger version

Name:	163.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	12205

Look at the tonge, only a battery, no propane!

Everything runs through the battery, even when it's pluged in (Via a Marine charger)

So,
1) (Battery) to boler electronics! (Lights, fans, 12v cooler fridge, heat)
2) (110) to (Marine charger) to (Battery) to boler electronics! (Lights, fans, 12v cooler fridge, heat)
Battery is charging.

Soon a solar panel will charge the battery
3) (Solar) to (coverter) to (Battery) to boler electronics! (Lights, fans, 12v cooler fridge, heat)
Battery is charging.

No cooking in camper.

TV only runs off of 110
Old 03-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #7

Oregon
Registry
12 Volt heat???
Old 03-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
12 Volt heat???
Yep

Click image for larger version

Name:	153.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	12206

It's portable, not built in.
You can see it sitting on the counter. Fan/heater with built in thermostat. It osculates, stays cool to the touch, heats the boler up in about 2 minutes, and can be packed away.

Mike
Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #9

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
They do make 12v car heaters.

I suspect the current draw is major tho.

Coleman 12v heater, one of many...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #10

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Yep

Attachment 12206

It's portable, not built in.
You can see it sitting on the counter. Fan/heater with built in thermostat. It osculates, stays cool to the touch, heats the boler up in about 2 minutes, and can be packed away.

Mike
Mike,
I'm curious, how much current does that heater draw?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:

Those of you that are tied to electricity for your camping comfort have no idea what you are missing.
There are many dispersed camping areas in the National Forests, BLM land and other areas that are safely accessable by a mini-van or other 2WD vehicle.
For those of you that are new to camping, a dispersed camping area is one that you find by driving down a dirt road and just picking a nice spot.
The only dog or child you hear is your own. If you hear a generator it's yours. You have no idea how nice the lack of the sound of civilation is. You can hear the birds and the slightest breeze through the trees. There is nothing better for the soul than enjoying nature without the noise of civilization.
To be completely civilized and mercenary, I think you will limit your resale value by eliminating propane.

A confirmed boondocker,
John
Old 03-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Mike,
I'm curious, how much current does that heater draw?
You know Byron, i'm not sure. It' not a perfect system. I'll admit to that. I just didn't want Propane in the remodeled version. I think I could get about 4 hours out of it running off just battery alone because it shuts off when it hits its target temp. That's why I'm looking to add solar. A small gererator (honda 1000) will run everything as well (for boondocking), plus, with the Duraback paint used, the boler holds it heat quite well now as it is insulated very well. The paint added 2/8th of an inch hard rubber water/air proof coating over the whole camper. To tell you the truth, I have a bigger problem with it getting hot in there, then cold, That's why you see all the fans!

Mike
Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #13

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Those of you that are tied to electricity for your camping comfort have no idea what you are missing.
There are many dispersed camping areas in the National Forests, BLM land and other areas that are safely accessable by a mini-van or other 2WD vehicle.
For those of you that are new to camping, a dispersed camping area is one that you find by driving down a dirt road and just picking a nice spot.
The only dog or child you hear is your own. If you hear a generator it's yours. You have no idea how nice the lack of the sound of civilation is. You can hear the birds and the slightest breeze through the trees. There is nothing better for the soul than enjoying nature without the noise of civilization.
To be completely civilized and mercenary, I think you will limit your resale value by eliminating propane.

A confirmed boondocker,
John
shhhhh.. Don't give away our secrets. If all those guys that are tied to electricity would start boondocking there'd be nothing left for us.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #14

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
One consideration I have for our campers is that we're able to live off the grid for a matter of days should a natural disaster strike. More and more in the past couple of years that seems like not such a bad idea. Propane for heating and cooking and an LP refrigerator under those circumstances is a good thing.

Roger

Tags
eggcamper