All-electric Trailer Owners - Happy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Name: Dave
Trailer: Seeking Bigfoot 25 RB
British Columbia

The only time I have been camping "off the grid" and NEEDED a generator was at Bonneville Speedweek. Temps were in the 110-125* range during the day and still 95* or so at night. A/C was not a luxury - it was a life-safety issue. (Wife was gonna kill me if I had suggested staying any longer sans working A/C! )

Nearest place to plug in would have been about 30 miles away or else I'd have needed about an acre of solar farm plus a ton of batteries to be able to use battery power with a huge (power-hungry) inverter to run my A/C

I sat down to figure out how much battery I would need to run the A/C at night, given a suitably-sized inverter. The back of my pickup would have been mostly full and I'd likely have been WAY overweight on the one-ton truck. Now how much solar would I need to be able run the A/C all day through the inverter, PLUS recharge the battery banks for night operation? (Hmmm - that'd be visible from the International Space Station!)

How much would all this gear cost? Yep - might even be a lot cheaper to just buy a 40 foot motorhome with a built-in genny

Solution: carry a genset along. If I were to ever stay in a park that didn't have a "current bush" and didn't allow gennies, I'd be OK for a day or 3, using propane for everything except lights and waterpump, but there are some situations......

BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #16
Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Originally Posted by Dan Jones View Post
Thanks folks, I am paying attention and appreciate your comments. Sure would like to hear from some EggCamper folks though. I understand that they are all electric.

Dan, My 2007 EggCamper was all electric when I bought it, but I've since added a propane furnace and an electric/propane combo water heater. (Two 11# tanks fit nicely in the tongue box.) I live in NH where state/federal parks don't have hookups, and these are really the nicer parks up here. I tried camping with a generator, but the hours of use are very restrictive and even with my quiet honda, it was too noisy for me.

Even when we're hooked up, I always cook outside on a grill or a propane stove. The EggCamper has a coffee maker and microwave, but off-grid, we make coffee on the stove and don't leave any left-overs to be re-heated in the micro. We have a dog who helps with that.

I've also traveled in the southeast where electric is everywhere (obviously because of the need for AC). If I camped exclusively down south or where there was electric, I would not have added the propane. Electric is very simple. (There is seldom a need for AC up north and I've never used the AC in the EggCamper.)

To make off-grid camping more feasible, I added solar and a fairly substantial battery (150 amp/hours). LED lights throughout, the original fridge and the new propane furnace use about 15-25 amp-hours/day depending on the outside temperature, so even off grid, I can go for several days without bright sunlight. Except in winter up north, on a sunny day, the solar can easily restore the daily usage. Forget about using any of the 120 vac appliances while off grid. At best I can watch a little TV using a small inverter plugged into a 12V socket. But then, this is camping and a campfire can be better entertainment.

I also kept the original furnace (so there are two furnaces in the egg). When I have hookups, I use the electric furnace.

I think you can still buy EggCampers with a propane option. For my situation, and knowing what I do now, I think that I would have opted for the propane version. In fact, I'd see if Jim Palmer (the owner of EggCamper) would install the same Atwood furnace and water heater setup.

Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
We have lived in our all electric house for 15 years without complaint. The heating/cooling is geothermal so the electric bills are very reasonable. We also have an all electric Egg Camper. I plan to add a second battery and we do have a Honda 2000 watt generator that we have not yet used. We cook outside on either a propane grill or a propane 2 burner stove. We shower in campground facilities because our bath is a wet bath and the water heater is very small. Like anything else, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Heck, if they offered a propane A/C I would never need hook-ups!
Other than that I would rather have propane than 110V AC. luckily I don't have to choose and can have both available when needed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
For me it would be a problem if I could only camp in places that have electric. Part of the reason I have a trailer is to get out and go places I have never been. Part of the fun of hitting the road for a month or more is never really knowing where your going to end up. Many of the greatest campsites I have stayed at where only stopped at as a result of what someone camped at the last place I stayed at said.

Just finished a month on the road through six states and I know I would not have enjoyed the trip nearly as much if I had not been able to stay at some of the places I did. Only about half of the places I stayed at had power and of the ones that I would call the best of the trip, only about half again had power. Here in BC there are very few Provincial Parks with power and many of the nicest county, state and some national parks I have stayed in State side in the past 5 years had no power. Many of these places are very popular destinations and not what I would consider "out in the wilds" :-)

Yes generators are an option but they have downsides that someone starting out may not be totally aware of and not just the operating costs and the space they take up. The shift away from generators to solar is happening big time. On my recent trip it was very common to see many of the big rigs with equally as big solar banks on their roofs - a sight that has far less common to see just four years ago. But more importantly to me personally is the fact that generators are becoming ever increasingly unpopular. Number one complaint at many campgrounds I was at was about the use of generators. It would seem to me that the majority feel its a big disappointment to discover the camper near them has a generator no matter how silent the owner thinks it is and how few hours they ran it. Many campgrounds are increasing the restrictions on the use of generators and some are out and out banning them as solar becomes a more affordable and popular option. If it was put to popular vote as to whether or not generators should be out and out banned in State and National parks I have not doubt as to what the result would be.

As correctly been said its a personal choose but someone starting out may not be aware of some of the pitfalls of going all electrical.
Generator usage certainly has been restricted these days. I can't think of any non-electric campground that doesn't have some restrictions. Almost all don't allow generators between 10pm and 7 am. Many National Parks (US) only allow generator operation 6 hours per day, 2 hours at each of three meal times. It appears that most non-electric campground managers view generators are to be used primarily to charge batteries.
Another note, the cost per night goes up dramatically for electric sites. Example, last year we were out for 97 days, average cost per night $7.50, the most expensive was an electric site at $20.00 per night, the cheapest non-electric in a campground was $2.50 per night. Many RV parks the prices are much higher than the $20.00/night.
Something more to think about when wanting to go all electric.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
My wife and I pretty much limit our camping to state parks here in the Southeast. All the parks in this part of the country seem to have electricity, probably because air conditioning is so important in the summers. So, for our needs, all-electric is all we need. Oh, and the water heater in the EggCamper does more than an adequate job of producing all the hot water we need.

If we boondocked, or lived where the parks didn't have electricity, then propane would have been important to us. I have thought about buying a generator, but my very practical wife asked "why?, we haven't needed one yet." We have thought about visiting the Great Smoky Mt. Natl. Park again, and I thought that would be my excuse for getting a generator since they don't have electricity at many sites, but again my wife asked "why?" She reminded me that we used to tent camp there and did very well with a propane stove and lantern, and for the two or three nights there we could just pretend we were tent camping again, but with a nicer place to stay.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
I just remembered the time I was talking to a large fifth-wheel owner while my wife and I were on one of our first camping trips after buying our EggCamper. I was telling the owner about my reservations with an all-electric camper and he told me that in the seven years he had owned his fiver, he had never bothered even filling his propane bottles! Like us, he limited his camping to state parks and camp grounds that had electricity - and that's pretty much all of them in these warmer parts of the country.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Same here, Floyd. Sign me up for a propane Air conditioner, LOL!

Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Heck, if they offered a propane A/C I would never need hook-ups!
Other than that I would rather have propane than 110V AC. luckily I don't have to choose and can have both available when needed.
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper

We've had our ALL ELECTRIC EggCamper for almost 4 yrs now. About 3yrs ago I bought a 3000w Yamaha for when we might need it. HAVE NOT USED IT YET! We have been averaging about 45 nights a year in our "little bit of paradise". The only propane we have used is for the portable stove (although this year I'm thinking of leaving it home and using only a hot plate and electric griddle). We only use our own bathroom (never the campground baths). We like showering every day so any stays over 2 nights we need to have sewer hook-ups. Taking a marine type shower, we have plenty of hot water from our 2 1/2gal electric water heater (only have to wait 15-20 minutes after wife gets out to take my shower).

We use our EggCamper as our vacation home, so we prefer sewer, water, elec., and cable TV. The campground is where we park, sleep, bathe, and watch TV. During the day we are out and about.

For us, the ALL ELECTRIC EGGCAMPER is perfect. Plus unless you stay a month, the electric is included in the price. IN ADDITION, I FEEL MUCH SAFER WITHOUT ANY PROPANE IN THE CAMPER.

artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
My previous egg, a 17' Burro, had a 2 cu ft electric fridge. It would not keep food cold for more than about 3 hours. Also no furnace, but I used a portable LP catalytic heater if I wasn't in a CG with electric hookups (which is pretty often for me). Lack of LP really chafed me, so I sold it and bought my current trailer.

I guess it all depends on how (or should I say where) you intend to camp. LP fits my camping style, all-electric does not. YMMV.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
We got unhitched at a campsite and I was just connecting the hydro to the trailer when the whole campground went out of power. The owners immediatly locked the washrooms...#$%^&! Glad that we had battery backup and a porty and a propane stove with us. After 24-36 hours of people slinking off into the bushes it smelled worse than an open septic tank, in the july sun and we were glad to get back on the road. Turned out that was when we had the Great Atlantic Coast brown-out. We were 800 miles from home and most of the service stations couldn't pump gas. Those that could would only allow you buy $20 worth max. Home was a very long and slow trip always hoping that we could make it to the next town or village AND that they still had gas. Many just locked their doors.
Being able to dry camp or use solar does have it's plus side.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Since you've already ordered your Scamp the decision has been made. The first addition I would suggest is a camp stove; light, inexpensive and versatile. You may find yourself at a great campground that that doesn't have any serviced sites left. I boondocked in my Trillium all the time and a single battery ran all the lights easily. I carried a 5 gallon bulk water container and filled a 1 gallon jug for easy pouring. Before I replaced my fridge I used 2 frozen 2 litre pop bottles and used the old one as an ice box. I had a porta potti when a restroom wasn't available. An all electric trailer wouldn't be my choice but it is certainly workable.
Good luck!
Barrie Bochoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
Name: Jon
Trailer: 1984 Burro 17' wide body
We have been all electric for the past 10 years of camping. We have used an Apache hard sided popup without any problems. We have a/c, microwave and elect. griddle and hot plate. We have 3 kids and our camping is mostly in state parks. I am building my 84 Burro the same way. I do not have to deal with the extra toung weight on my tow vehicle which is a 1948 Ford Coupe. We also do most of our cooking outside. In Michigan and Wisconsin you often run the a/c during the day and a small elect heater at night. It have never been a problem for the five of us.
Jon Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #28
Name: Steven
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
I understand the desire for propane in a travel trailer . I have propane in my Scamp and have used it to cook , for the refrigerator and heat water. I am an electrician and often hear from customers " I want gas heat so when the power goes out I have heat" The problem is all modern gas furnaces ,some cooking stoves and water heaters , all gas clothes dryers and even some gas fireplaces require electricity to operate. If you have no well power what good is a water heater ,you have no water pressure to move the water. I live in northern Wisconsin where the power goes out every other day in the winter (literally) that's why I have wood heat with electric backup. "wood always works" We have lost power for 48 hours at 20 below and stayed warm with wood heat.

steve dunham is online now   Reply With Quote