All reserveable campground, a new trend? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #15

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Very irksome. I would think that that would possibly be a peak season situation, however, they may not be open up there in winter due to weather to need iron Rangers (boxes to deposit money). Rangers do not ever take money that I know. There would possibly be camp hosts who function as gate attendants. In the off season elsewhere, Army Corps is very dependent upon iron Rangers.

The two-day in advance situation is common but we have also come across being able to reserve that day, that minute, which is also a problem. If you go in and set up, you could then be told that someone reserved on the Internet a few minutes before. That is one bad way of doing it also. So you must reserve before setting up in that case.

Usually Army Corps will take money from walk-ins. Your info is not a good development.
You can set up a PayPal account and get a debit card from them. Just move money into the account from your checking as needed. It gives you a second card for emergency use.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
On a recent trip west we ran into the "all reserevable" campground where all sites must be reserved through a centralized location. No payment would be accepted at the campground. Same day reservations were not charged a reservation fee. North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota have all adopted this model. In North Dakota at an Army Core campground we found the same thing. No one there. No iron ranger. Just instructions and a location labelled " cell phone hot spot". Later a ranger came by to check on folks. When questioned he said he could not take cash. The only way sites could be had was by following the procedure. Folks without a credit card had to go into town to get a prepaid card.

I don't like giving my credit card number to someone over the phone. I prefer to use cash for these types of transactions. Replacing a credit card on the road would be a real hassle as would buying gas without one. Raz
I am one that loves the convenience of paying with my card, whether as a reservation or a walk in campsite. It is much quicker in many cases too.

But then, I am one who pays for everything possible with my credit card, including major purchases for work. My only problem is that I have enouh points saved up now to vacation abroad for 2 months or so, but don't have the time to do it.

Technology is advancing fast, and for the most part it is creating easier ways of doing things. A big part of me appreciates this, BUT there is that part of me that just loves to get away from it all. But that requires getting well beyond where we could get our trailers to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
One possibility I wouldn't mind at other places was at Death Valley National Park - a kiosk that took your credit card.
For the few that don't have a smartphone, or don't want to pay online or by phone, this would be a good option. Myself, I would just as soon pay from the comfort of my truck.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
I second Jon's suggestion of having a separate credit card. For years I have had one with a fairly low limit and low interest rate exclusively for travel and online transactions. It is also from a different bank than the one where I have my accounts or regular card.
I am missing something. How is this advantageous?

I have a couple cards in addition to the one I regularly use, the one that gets me good travel points, but they rarely get used, mostly should I max out my main card which has a very high limit, or should that card ever be compromised.

I have had my main card compromised a few times, but every time Visa reverses any charges that were not mine with no questions asked, and submits me a new card. A friend with the same card, a Visa Infinite, had his shut down due to being compromised in Southern Utah, and had a replacement overnighted to a bank there from Toronto.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #18

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I had a low limit card just for on-line purchases. Told the company I did not want the limit to increase.
Well, good luck with that. So, I overpaid my account by 88 cents and never used it again. They sent statements for years, until I took pity and called them. Told them to keep the 88 cents.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #19

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I had a low limit card just for on-line purchases. Told the company I did not want the limit to increase.
Well, good luck with that. So, I overpaid my account by 88 cents and never used it again. They sent statements for years, until I took pity and called them. Told them to keep the 88 cents.

Oh, that's rich!
:ji ve
Old 09-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #20

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
.........Technology. Is it good or bad? Progress or not? I dunno about that one. Sure can be frustrating.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Sorry - no offense meant, but I found that funny!!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
JWScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutt View Post
I just want to add that although not tech savvy , I just booked my first camp ground.
It was for the egg-camper get together at Scodack Island state park in N.Y.
I couldn't get a site on the loop with electric as they were all booked but did manage to get one close to the action.
As this will be my first such gathering I'm looking forward to it. And 3 days of boondocking....
Site 39 is available Thomas, that is in the Creekside loop where the group is. You may be able to switch sites, either through Reserve America or when you show up at the campground.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #22

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Sorry - no offense meant, but I found that funny!!!
I noticed that bit of irony too.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:37 AM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I read some where that the average American over 50 carries $15k in credit card debt, has less that $10k in a retirement account, and owes more on their home than they can sell it for. I prefer to pay cash. And I don't think anyone should be allowed not to accept cash especially a federal government campground.

For those interested the campground was the Army Core of Engineers Mel Rieman campground near Valley City, North Dakota. Only one other site of the 20+ sites there was occupied. The two other ACE campgrounds we stayed at were happy to take our money.

Oh, and as for fast, I bet I can hand someone a twenty dollar bill faster than anyone can call Reserve America.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:09 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
I read some where that the average American over 50 carries $15k in credit card debt, has less that $10k in a retirement account, and owes more on their home than they can sell it for.

I prefer to pay cash. And I don't think anyone should be allowed not to accept cash especially a federal government campground.
Yes, I've seen that also, it's a sad note on peoples planning for their future. I use cash most of the time too. Last I've heard was cash was still legal tender. Don't like hearing of this preregistration trend, travel life on the road changes daily. MMM, is their an app for that?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cashless
We use credit cards for most purchases when traveling but also carry cash. Recognize the goal of many governments is to eliminate cash, the direction we're heading.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:57 AM   #26
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Cashless
We use credit cards for most purchases when traveling but also carry cash. Recognize the goal of many governments is to eliminate cash, the direction we're heading.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Not using cash and not accepting cash are two different discussions. How folks conduct their business is their affair and not my concern. Requiring the use of a credit card makes it easier to add fees for a service I don't need.

If the government wants to eliminate cash maybe they should stop printing it.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:30 AM   #27

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I read some where that the average American over 50 carries $15k in credit card debt, has less that $10k in a retirement account, and owes more on their home than they can sell it for. I prefer to pay cash. And I don't think anyone should be allowed not to accept cash especially a federal government campground.

Oh, and as for fast, I bet I can hand someone a twenty dollar bill faster than anyone can call Reserve America.
I have heard something similar to this. To me it sounds somewhat scary. In all the years I have used credit cards, I have never carried a balance past the months end.

I have no qualms with paying cash, and in some cases it is definitely faster. I have been to campgrounds where it has taken quite some time to get served, as the operator is either busy with someone else, or away from the office.

One place I see a problem though, is many of the remote provincial (and I am sure state) campgrounds where there is no cell phone service, and one must pay cash, often using the honourary method of dropping it in a locked cash box in an envelope.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #28
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

One place I see a problem though, is many of the remote provincial (and I am sure state) campgrounds where there is no cell phone service, and one must pay cash, often using the honourary method of dropping it in a locked cash box in an envelope.
I'm a big fan of the iron ranger but I suspect there are folks who take advantage by not paying and because of that we all lose. That said, we camped in Ontario a few weeks ago and with no one in the office had to use the payment slot. While we had the $42 in Canadian, we lacked the 24 ¢. We left them two Canadian dimes and a US nickel.