All reserveable campground, a new trend? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #29

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Most of these campgrounds here have someone come around in the evening to collect the envelopes, and check to see if folks are in unpaid for sites.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I read some where that the average American over 50 carries $15k in credit card debt, has less that $10k in a retirement account, and owes more on their home than they can sell it for. I prefer to pay cash. And I don't think anyone should be allowed not to accept cash especially a federal government campground.

For those interested the campground was the Army Core of Engineers Mel Rieman campground near Valley City, North Dakota. Only one other site of the 20+ sites there was occupied. The two other ACE campgrounds we stayed at were happy to take our money.

Oh, and as for fast, I bet I can hand someone a twenty dollar bill faster than anyone can call Reserve America.
The problem is at many state parks the folks at the entry station will take your $20.00 bill & get on the computer, connect to Reserve America, and make your "reservation" while you wait.

There are campgrounds that have no idea what sites are available unless they can connect to the on line database that they use. It is interesting to see what happens when the network goes down...

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #31

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
My observation with reservations is that many do not get used. As long as the consequences of last-minute cancellations and no-shows is minimal, people will blow them off.

Camping in popular locations in peak season, I am always surprised by the number of sites that sit vacant with a "reserved" tag on the post. Meantime, folks are turned away at the gate.

I don't think money alone deters many from gaming the system. Abusers should be prevented from making future reservations.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #32

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My observation with reservations is that many do not get used. As long as the consequences of last-minute cancellations and no-shows is minimal, people will blow them off.

Camping in popular locations in peak season, I am always surprised by the number of sites that sit vacant with a "reserved" tag on the post. Meantime, folks are turned away at the gate.

I don't think money alone deters many from gaming the system. Abusers should be prevented from making future reservations.
This abuse of the system is quite prevalent, and most authorities are looking at ways of thwarting this.

This was on my confirmation email from a BC Provincial Park reservation this past August.

Quote:
-For a complete list of front country reservation policies, please visit: Visiting Parks - BC Parks - Province of British Columbia
Reservations and modifications cannot be accepted less than 2 days prior to your arrival date in most cases.
-A modification or cancellation to a reservation will incur a charge of $6.00 plus tax.
-Any transactions made through the call centre incur a $5.00 plus tax, surcharge.
-Cancellations, shortened stays, and delays of arrival made within 7 days of the arrival date, will incur the cost of one night's campsite fee per campsite reservation.
-Cancellations made on the date of arrival will forfeit two night's accommodations.
-Transfers of reservation from one park to another park are not permitted. This transaction would be considered a cancellation and a new reservation.
-Reservations will be held until 11:00am the morning AFTER the first reserved night. If you do not claim the site or cancel the reservation by the 11:00 am deadline, it is considered a No-show and there will be no refund of fees.
-Arriving at the park with more people or vehicles then stated in the above reservation may result in additional fees, or unavailability of additional accommodation.
-For park specific information, including updates, fire bans and condition reports, please visit the specific park page on BC Parks' website: BC Parks - Province of British Columbia
-Reservations are not transferable.
-Double-sites sold together, only one transaction fee (reservation and cancel) is applied. Penalties will be applied to both sides of the double-site for changes or cancellations made within one week prior to the arrival date.
-When double-sites are sold individually, transaction and penalty charges apply to each side of the double-site. (User (camping) Fees apply to each side of the site regardless if they are booked together or separately).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #33

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
That's pretty much the same policy in place at several campgrounds I frequent. I still see many reserved sites going unused. The abusers are clearly not deterred by one or two nights' camping fees.

That's why I argue the system needs to identify and block flagrant or repeat offenders. Otherwise, public campgrounds are essentially taken over by those with money. I did hear at least one state is implementing something of the kind.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #34

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
The way it works here is that if you cancel within 30 days of making the reservation you are assessed a change fee plus 5% of the cost, but it goes up as the time you hold it increases. For some things- like making reservations with a group, which need to be done ASAP to get a spot-it does benefit those who can afford to lose money- but then, so does the whole pay-ahead system, not everyone can afford to tie up $30- $40 a night months in advance. The way I see it is that someone later on is going to get lucky and find a site despite waiting to book it. But once you get to no refund, most people probably don't bother to cancel. So the site is empty that night. They can resell it if you don't check in by 11 the next day.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #35

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You know what makes it hard to cancel your reservation? Having a crappy interface that only works with fast web access.

We had this problem this summer trying to cancel a reservation on Recreation.gov. Didn't have reliable web access, so tried to do it with the phone. Gave up after about 30 minutes on hold. We tried, really, we did. But the least-cost service model failed us, and whoever wanted to camp in the spot we'd reserved for the weekend.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #36

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
All of the places we have been with iron rangers have the box and sites checked every night to see that people have paid. They simply do not have a gate attendant who is there for many hours to register people as they come in. Usually an off-season arrangement or maybe a city or county.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #37
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
In line with being an old fart, don't get out much, andI don't use services that apply fees, I'm curious: Is there any other instance where beyond paying for the service, you have to pay a fee to do business? Do airlines, concerts, sporting events, etc. charge a "reservation" fee?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #38

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Quote:
In line with being an old fart, don't get out much, andI don't use services that apply fees, I'm curious: Is there any other instance where beyond paying for the service, you have to pay a fee to do business? Do airlines, concerts, sporting events, etc. charge a "reservation" fee?

How about a veterinarian who charged $5 (three decades ago) to write your name and address on a card for his file?! You had to pay that before you were allowed to request his services. I wonder how much he charges now?

I HATE that kind of thing.
It's like a restaurant "cover" charge. Like being "Needled" at the Space Needle, having to pay a (relatively high) price to take the elevator up to the restaurant.

It's Pay to Pay, if I may pun off a current political meme.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #39

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
In this case, the fee is to an outside company that handles the reservations, and yes, for most concerts you order tickets for online, you pay one. If you get your airline reservations through an agent you now pay one. They should just roll those fees in but that's not how it's done these days.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #40

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 2016 ,17ft Spirt deluxe Casita.
Pennsylvania
I will see when I get there, thanks for the reply....
Old 09-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #41

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Obviously, you don't get out much.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #42

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
My casual understanding...
Federal law limits liability to fifty dollars for credit card fraud and most card companies will waive that in the event of fraudulent charges.
This makes the system possible.
Without these limits, it would be cash only for me.
Still, I keep a separate card for many on-line purchases to protect my primary card from the inconvenience of a possible incident.

The same is not true for debit cards, for which you are at the mercy of your bank.
Also...Recent banking rule changes require that any challenge to a bank account balance shortage must be filed within 60 days of the transaction.

This is, of course, the internet which should be an adequate disclaimer!