All reserveable campground, a new trend? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
minke's Avatar
 
Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Posts: 136
Some credit cards have a "Shopsafe" feature that permits you to create a one use credit card with a unique 16 digit number, 3 digit security code, and a credit limit that you specify. An image of the credit card is created on your computer: there is no physical plastic card. In the event that a vendor's system gets hacked this protects the bank more than it does me but I find it comforting nonetheless.
__________________

__________________
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 5,505
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
In line with being an old fart, don't get out much, andI don't use services that apply fees, I'm curious: Is there any other instance where beyond paying for the service, you have to pay a fee to do business? Do airlines, concerts, sporting events, etc. charge a "reservation" fee?
I'm with you on this.
I recently attended a fiberglass rally in Michigan. The state park reservation fee was $8, the daily penalty for being from out of state was $9 dollars and the nightly charge (electricity only) was $24.
Our average night's lodging for the last ten years is roughly equal to the reservation fee alone.
It is clear that Michigan's tourism ads are a "tourist trap". They have even awarded private organizations the right to impose "taxes"on private businesses, ostensibly to promote tourism. At one time they actually thought that "Its good to be alive here" was the best they could do to attract victims .
I'm starting to see all of Michigan as about as attractive as Detroit as a tourist destination, even though the state has some gorgeous destinations and many fine folks who practice great hospitality.
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,896
I find up here in BC Canada, that lots of places are being reserved by RV rental Companies for overseas customers. Even in our little town we have a hard time getting in at our local campground. Total BS.
__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Taje View Post
I find up here in BC Canada, that lots of places are being reserved by RV rental Companies for overseas customers. Even in our little town we have a hard time getting in at our local campground. Total BS.
That's not actually true. BC Parks released the numbers and overseas customers were a small percentage, less than 1/2 of one per cent.


Tour Operators Booking Campsites in BC Parks


There has been some recent media regarding the ability for commercial operators, specifically Recreational Vehicle (RV) rental companies, booking BC Parks camping sites on the Discover Camping Reservation system. BC Parks has always been aware that RV companies have booked reservations for their clients. Commercial operators do not receive preferential treatment to reserve campsites and are not allowed to book blocks of sites. All park users (including commercial operators) have to follow our policies and procedures when booking reservations.
In 2015, the total number of reservations made by commercial operators is believed to be less than half of one percent of the total reservations made.
BC Parks takes allegations of unfair camping reservation practices by tour companies very seriously, at this time, we do not believe this is a common practice but take this possibility very seriously. BC Parks has launched an investigation to gather the facts about this matter.
UPDATE: Minister Polak addresses Discover Camping reservation service. Read the full article here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/11494
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #47
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm with you on this.
I recently attended a fiberglass rally in Michigan. The state park reservation fee was $8, the daily penalty for being from out of state was $9 dollars and the nightly charge (electricity only) was $24.
Our average night's lodging for the last ten years is roughly equal to the reservation fee alone.
It is clear that Michigan's tourism ads are a "tourist trap". They have even awarded private organizations the right to impose "taxes"on private businesses, ostensibly to promote tourism. At one time they actually thought that "Its good to be alive here" was the best they could do to attract victims .
I'm starting to see all of Michigan as about as attractive as Detroit as a tourist destination, even though the state has some gorgeous destinations and many fine folks who practice great hospitality.
Add Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas to your list. Montana too. We stayed at a Montana campground with no water. $28/ night.. Luckily there are lots of Forest service campgrounds in these state, especially the U.P. We have just passed through but next year we may have to explore the nooks and crannies.
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,315
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Add Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas to your list. Montana too. We stayed at a Montana campground with no water. $28/ night.. Luckily there are lots of Forest service campgrounds in these state, especially the U.P. We have just passed through but next year we may have to explore the nooks and crannies.
A couple more states that have high priced state parks - California ($35.00 for a dry site & pay showers at Burney Falls), Washington + ($ 8 - $10 reservation fee, $5.00 out of state & pay showers. The last time I looked at a water & electric site at Wenatchee Confluence State Park, it was over $50.00 per night).

On the other hand, New Mexico sites are inexpensive, as well as SOME state parks in Texas.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #49
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
A couple more states that have high priced state parks - California ($35.00 for a dry site & pay showers at Burney Falls), Washington ($ 8 - $10 reservation fee, $5.00 out of state & pay showers. The last time I looked at a water & electric site at Wenatchee Confluence State Park, it was over $50.00 per night).

On the other hand, New Mexico sites are inexpensive, as well as SOME state parks in Texas.
We stayed at Kodachrome in Utah a few years back. $10 and the only thing the gal needed was our name, our state, and our plate number. Your home state could learn something from them. .
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 5,505
Registry
Just had to laugh... at 4PM I received an E-Mail from the Michigan DNR titled ...
"Showcasing the DNR: Fall camping and lodging"
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,315
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
We stayed at Kodachrome in Utah a few years back. $10 and the only thing the gal needed was our name, our state, and our plate number. Your home state could learn something from them. .
I'll be the first to admit that NY is another one of those annoying states that charges an out-of-state fee, and, since they use Reserve America, require lots of info the first time you use it. After that, all they need is a phone # to sign into any state park.

As a resident, I appreciate free park admission Monday through Thursday for residents over 62.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:13 AM   #52
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 3,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I'll be the first to admit that NY is another one of those annoying states that charges an out-of-state fee, and, since they use Reserve America, require lots of info the first time you use it. After that, all they need is a phone # to sign into any state park.

As a resident, I appreciate free park admission Monday through Thursday for residents over 62.
We used to spend time at Fish Creek/Rollins to access the St Regis Canoe Area. The campgrounds were a little like going to the Jersey shore on a Saturday but once you got on the ponds you had them to yourself. We're training the dog but she's not ready yet. Maybe next year.

I think everyone should have Reserve America in their retirement portfolio. They're going to run the country soon.
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Posts: 363
Registry
We almost exclusively use the reservation system for our camping. It makes me anxious to head off on a trip and not know if the campground we plan to stay at will have a site for us. I've already started making our list for the next year, and the day reservations become available, I will be on line reserving our spots (I've already reserved for next July along Minnesota's North Shore). I've only had to cancel reservations three times in the past ten years, and each time, the minute I know we can't use them, I cancel them. I like the reservation system, and with kids in school and activities and both of us working, it's nice to know that when we've planned to go camping, we have a spot to go. I might feel differently once we are retired and travelling more leisurely, though
__________________
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Carl Pa's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Posts: 436
I usually book for weekends if I am out, but week days I just wing it. Summer time I always book, but shoulder seasons I just wing it during week and week ends. Carl
__________________
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That's not actually true. BC Parks released the numbers and overseas customers were a small percentage, less than 1/2 of one per cent.


Tour Operators Booking Campsites in BC Parks


There has been some recent media regarding the ability for commercial operators, specifically Recreational Vehicle (RV) rental companies, booking BC Parks camping sites on the Discover Camping Reservation system. BC Parks has always been aware that RV companies have booked reservations for their clients. Commercial operators do not receive preferential treatment to reserve campsites and are not allowed to book blocks of sites. All park users (including commercial operators) have to follow our policies and procedures when booking reservations.
In 2015, the total number of reservations made by commercial operators is believed to be less than half of one percent of the total reservations made.
BC Parks takes allegations of unfair camping reservation practices by tour companies very seriously, at this time, we do not believe this is a common practice but take this possibility very seriously. BC Parks has launched an investigation to gather the facts about this matter.
UPDATE: Minister Polak addresses Discover Camping reservation service. Read the full article here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/11494
Thats fine in print not in practice
__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #56
Junior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
Posts: 17
Her we are in the glorious computer age. An age where Reserve America Florida State Parks can not make a same day reservation. I don't like it!!!!!! I do like to go and see an area and maybe stay with out planning. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a walk in but we have had good results most of the time.
The computer systems are supposed to help not hinder, they have had them now for 30 years you would think they could handle a same day or for that matter an anytime reservation,just what is the problem?
That is my rant for the day.
__________________

__________________
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downsizing - the tiny house trend reeves99 Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 37 02-15-2016 08:44 PM
4 cylinders trend. GeorgeR Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 18 08-09-2012 05:46 PM
New cushions, laminate on all doors and new curtains!! Bryan L. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 31 10-15-2009 09:01 PM
All Okra, all the time CharlynnT General Chat 0 05-04-2006 01:05 AM
New to Me campground, So. Cal Gina D. Camping, Campout Reports 19 04-16-2006 05:47 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.