All you smart building types--need dog ramp/stairs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #15

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Ah Bob, I see you don't know pugs! Seriously, when I had BIG dogs there was no question----floor it was. But life changed when lap dogs came into my life. Here at home they sleep in kennels, but there is no room in the camper for that. And we found when we have to be in the camper because of rain or at night----they are out of the way on a bed.

I came from an animal centered family----heck----my dad used to take our 59 cent anole (lizard) with us to Minnesota and camping in the Black Hills. The poor thing would be so chilly in the morning, we'd have to warm him on our bellies! And once he was left at a motel and we drove 2 hrs. out of our way to get the darn thing!

I thank Dad for my love of animals, poetry, and the USA (Marine in WWII and Korea)

Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
How about fashioning a dual purpose stair/storage unit?

Something like this one from Ikea TROFAST could work, but designed to only step up the height on one of the small green bins at a time.

Or you could build the stairs with hinged tops so there is storage in each one if you wanted to include sides on the unit.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
All great ideas----Lainey I googled Storage Steps and hit the jackpot! A previous idea posted here was try Marine supplies---well spa steps are great (expensive) but great, and then I found Sportote Step with Lockable Storage. Guess what it's for---mounting horses. Darn it---it's $109, but sooooo cool!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Ah Bob, I see you don't know pugs! Seriously, when I had BIG dogs there was no question----floor it was.
Ah Vickie Is see you don't kow BIG dogs.
Every big dog I have owned though it was a lap dog and if allowed it would be on the bed in a flash. In fact the boy who traveled in the Scamp would stand with his head on the bed trying to get me to cave in on the bed. His place was the front couch and front couch only. LOL You might want to consider it with the pugs as you would need a much smaller step for them there.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #19

Nebraska
Registry
You guys are making me miss my big dogs! Baylee (a yellow lab) was a good girl and stayed down, but Mulligan (lab/great dane) would back up and sit his bottom on me like a lap dog! And we had a sneaking suspicion he got up on the couch when we were gone!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I'm with you Vickie. Hard to get use to not having them around. This summer was the first time I have used my Scamp without my yellow lab as a co-pilot. Took a bit to get used to. :-( Although it did make cleaning up and sleeping easier. No big brown eyes telling me I was evil for not letting him on the bed or crying in the middle of the night to make me feel real bad about it.

WARNING There are downsides to teaching them to only sleep on the front couch. Once mine got use to being on the front coach he decided it was his couch no matter who else was in it. When traveling on my own and the weather was poor for eating outside and I did not want to bother putting the table up and down, I would sleep on the front couch. In the middle of the night he would jump up and join me. Always started out with him in a tight ball so he did not take up much room and to make you think it would be ok - but once you were back asleep he would start to use his legs to slowly push you off the couch so he had more room. The result was that in order to sleep I would ended up sleeping on the much smaller upper couch. :-)
Old 09-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #21

Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Just my 2.

This is a rental trill we had last October before we bought ours. I thought the bunk was great and so did our dog. He was happy and it kept him out of the way. We don't believe in size discrimination.
Attached Thumbnails
Argos_rental_tril.jpg  
Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda D View Post
Just my 2.

This is a rental trill we had last October before we bought ours. I thought the bunk was great and so did our dog. He was happy and it kept him out of the way. We don't believe in size discrimination.
Hey Linda.. what breed is Argos? Looks like an RR? Just wondering 'cause we've got 2 and I thought we were the only ones here to have ridgies.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #23

British Columbia
Hi Carol Ann
He is indeed a Ridgeback. You just can't see his ridge because he's wearing his jammies. He's one of the reasons we have a 4500 instead of a 1300. Where do your 2 sleep?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
At risk of hijacking this thread.... One ridgeback in a 13ft boler was okay. Two RRs is why we now own a 4500. We removed the main portion of the backrest and remounted the small section below the window as a backrest (just for the shoulder blades) for humans. They have the entire lower as their bed.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #25

British Columbia
Yes, didn't mean to hijack this thread (sorry Vickie)
Old 09-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #26

Nebraska
Registry
No worry---if it's about dogs, kids (or even guinea pigs!) I'm good!! I used to work with a girl who had Ridgebacks and Dobermans. Very neat dogs!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #27

British Columbia
Yes, I think they are kind of addictive. I've been trying to figure out how to get a second one.
I am partial to pugs too. Now that is a big dog in a small package if ever there was one. RRs are the complete opposite! Small dog in big body. My guy has several pug friends.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
... I remember seeing a thread on here where someone had a ramp (can't find it now). What do you folks with little dogs do???
I posted here a few years ago about our homemade dog ramp. Our dogs love it and use it without hesitation. It's perfect in our 16' Casita, but too long for our 13' U-Haul. For our U-Haul we use the plastic stairs that Gina mentioned.

If you're interested, here's a link to our dog ramp post: Dog Ramp

Jeanne