All you smart building types--need dog ramp/stairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
All you smart building types--need dog ramp/stairs

We have 2 pugs, they obviously cannot get up on the the high bed (or even the front couch) without assistance.

I remember seeing a thread on here where someone had a ramp (can't find it now). What do you folks with little dogs do???

I spent last night searching the net for dog ramps/stairs---didn't really like anything I saw. There was one made out of light weight plastic that had the back legs fold down so it could be stored under a couch, etc., but the reviews were not all that good.

Any ideas of what could be built that would do the trick, but easy to move/store, get out of the way????? I feel like an idea is on the tip of my brain, but I can't grasp it. And somethat that serves a dual purpose would be great.
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Check marine supply places.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
We have 2 pugs, they obviously cannot get up on the the high bed (or even the front couch) without assistance.

I remember seeing a thread on here where someone had a ramp (can't find it now). What do you folks with little dogs do???

I spent last night searching the net for dog ramps/stairs---didn't really like anything I saw. There was one made out of light weight plastic that had the back legs fold down so it could be stored under a couch, etc., but the reviews were not all that good.

Any ideas of what could be built that would do the trick, but easy to move/store, get out of the way????? I feel like an idea is on the tip of my brain, but I can't grasp it. And somethat that serves a dual purpose would be great.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
If you run across something that would load an electric scooter into a van and not cost a fortune, please post it. We use two boards. I have looked for folding ones, but they are so darned expensive when you look for disability scooter ramps.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had a set of these for my old arthritic girl. They are a lot sturdier than they look.

She could climb up on them with no effort at all. The fuzzy cover helped.

I forget what they are called! I got mine in the "As seen on TV" stuff at bed bath and beyond.

I have seen them at Petco too. There is a Beagle on the box.
Attached Thumbnails
kittystairs.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
dog ramp

Quote:

Have you looked at Amazon-they have several of them.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Just thinking outside the box here a little on some possible solutions...

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

Registry
Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Alright - Alright , SETTLE Down People !!!!!!! This is serious business !

(we've got one flying boxer and two pugs that are earthbound.)

Try this: The Lakeside Collection
Unique Gifts, Home Furnishings, Gift Catalog, Bedding | Lakeside Collection
pets
convertible dog stairs

item# 898164017 2 step $15.95
item# 898165014 3 step $15.95
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ramp.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	30893Just buy a 1"x12"x3' board cut it in half put a hing on the bottom and carpet on the top and you are set to go. When done using it, put it under the front bunk folded in half 12"x18"
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #10

Registry
Hmmmmm---I've got the stairs like Gina showed us. We use them in the family room---but they are always in the way, so I figured they'd really be a pain in the camper.

Jacquie--I just got that catalog in the mail, and saw those stairs and got so excited! But then I wondered if they would be big enough. You got PUGGIES??? Pics!

Kevin--as ususal---good idea! I saw a telescoping one for sale, but people said it pinched their fingers, and had sharp edges. So I may use your idea.

I think the biggest thing hanging me up was trying to make something multi-purpose---like boxes that hold clothes, supplies, etc, or a board that spans from the bed to the couch, so they could go from one to another.

I think I need a bigger camper (I hope my husband didn't hear that!)
Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I think the biggest thing hanging me up was trying to make something multi-purpose---like boxes that hold clothes, supplies, etc, or a board that spans from the bed to the couch, so they could go from one to another.
You mean they haven't figured out they can run across the counter?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #12

Registry
You know Lizbeth---that is not far out of the question. Once these guys get up somewhere---they think they are cats!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
This could have dual usage:

TrailerLife: RV Today Archive - Quick Tips - Nozzle tube

(The second tip in.)

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #14

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
There's a lot to be said for keeping dogs off the bed, chairs and tables. While we've certainly had dogs we couldn't keep out of our bed, I wonder why anyone would want to encourage or enable them.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #15

Registry
Ah Bob, I see you don't know pugs! Seriously, when I had BIG dogs there was no question----floor it was. But life changed when lap dogs came into my life. Here at home they sleep in kennels, but there is no room in the camper for that. And we found when we have to be in the camper because of rain or at night----they are out of the way on a bed.

I came from an animal centered family----heck----my dad used to take our 59 cent anole (lizard) with us to Minnesota and camping in the Black Hills. The poor thing would be so chilly in the morning, we'd have to warm him on our bellies! And once he was left at a motel and we drove 2 hrs. out of our way to get the darn thing!

I thank Dad for my love of animals, poetry, and the USA (Marine in WWII and Korea)
Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
How about fashioning a dual purpose stair/storage unit?

Something like this one from Ikea TROFAST could work, but designed to only step up the height on one of the small green bins at a time.

Or you could build the stairs with hinged tops so there is storage in each one if you wanted to include sides on the unit.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #17

Registry
All great ideas----Lainey I googled Storage Steps and hit the jackpot! A previous idea posted here was try Marine supplies---well spa steps are great (expensive) but great, and then I found Sportote Step with Lockable Storage. Guess what it's for---mounting horses. Darn it---it's $109, but sooooo cool!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Ah Bob, I see you don't know pugs! Seriously, when I had BIG dogs there was no question----floor it was.
Ah Vickie Is see you don't kow BIG dogs.
Every big dog I have owned though it was a lap dog and if allowed it would be on the bed in a flash. In fact the boy who traveled in the Scamp would stand with his head on the bed trying to get me to cave in on the bed. His place was the front couch and front couch only. LOL You might want to consider it with the pugs as you would need a much smaller step for them there.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #19

Registry
You guys are making me miss my big dogs! Baylee (a yellow lab) was a good girl and stayed down, but Mulligan (lab/great dane) would back up and sit his bottom on me like a lap dog! And we had a sneaking suspicion he got up on the couch when we were gone!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I'm with you Vickie. Hard to get use to not having them around. This summer was the first time I have used my Scamp without my yellow lab as a co-pilot. Took a bit to get used to. :-( Although it did make cleaning up and sleeping easier. No big brown eyes telling me I was evil for not letting him on the bed or crying in the middle of the night to make me feel real bad about it.

WARNING There are downsides to teaching them to only sleep on the front couch. Once mine got use to being on the front coach he decided it was his couch no matter who else was in it. When traveling on my own and the weather was poor for eating outside and I did not want to bother putting the table up and down, I would sleep on the front couch. In the middle of the night he would jump up and join me. Always started out with him in a tight ball so he did not take up much room and to make you think it would be ok - but once you were back asleep he would start to use his legs to slowly push you off the couch so he had more room. The result was that in order to sleep I would ended up sleeping on the much smaller upper couch. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote