Almost ready to head out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Alberta
Almost ready to head out

So we are just about ready to take our cross country trip but I'm low on cargo space and was wondering if anyone new of a good generic cargo bin/box for the tongue of the Trill? Keep in mind I'm in Canada!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
image-1440254788.jpg  
Hansen family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I've mount an $18, plastic box, 3x1.5x1.5 feet to the rear of two different Scamps, attaching them to the bumper and ontop of a plastic fence post.

I load this with light things like, hoses, cables, blocks, ...

They can be seen under Modifications, Preparing a 1991 Scamp

I also have five under floor plastic boxes for some of the heavier rarely used items.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The problem with putting a tongue box on the small trailer is that it needs to be right up against the trailer and as such it may need to also hold your propane tank &/or your battery (unless you move that to the rear) other wise you will find you have troubles with making tight turns with things coming to close to the rear of your tug. I once saw a Trillium with a medium sized tote with a hinged lid on it used as a tongue box right up against the front of the trailer. Seem to recall that he drilled holes in the bottom and secured it with clamps to the tongue & his propane tank was inside the box. As a result of the tongue box issue some people have put bumper mounted cargo racks on the back of the trailer for putting bulky items such as coolers etc.... but then you really need to add weight to the front of the trailer to compensate for that. etrailers.com has a number of bumper type carries but they all need a receiver hitch at the back to work - but I know they have a Canadian warehouse. Canadian Tire also carries one made by Sportsrack.

I found on the occasions when I have taken a large gang (2 adults, 2 kids and 2 big dogs) on a trip that using smallish square tote boxes (think they are only 18 X 18) for each persons clothing and shoes etc, another for all the dogs stuff etc, worked best as they stacked well on the floor of the trailer - much easier to deal with than bulky luggage bags etc. As the boxes have tight fitting lids it wasnt a problem to stick them under the trailer once at destination to get them out of the way.

Edit to add that Princess Auto also sells a tongue box.

Have a great trip! I am sure your family will still be talking about it in the years to come.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Safe travels and post pictures of your excursion.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote