Alt to Memory Foam? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Great Question, Jane!! I forgot to ask that one.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjie s. View Post
I really have not tried any of the foam toppers, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my down/feather topper.
I fluff it up every week when I wash the sheets, and it is great. For travelling I take it off our bed at home and squash it into the trailer.
I don't find it warm to sleep on, as I think it breathes quite well.
Marjie
WalMart has a GREAT mattress topper, for about $40. it is fiberfill , but it feels almost like down.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Is it cool, Floyd? That seems to be the big issue with Memory Foam is how hot it sleeps.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Is it cool, Floyd? That seems to be the big issue with Memory Foam is how hot it sleeps.
Actually I bought it for my bed at home, but it just adds soft and comfy and no heat.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
We don't have anything here.
Well, except a fabulous view of the Chisos Mtns.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #26

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Yeah we do have that. In my avatar you can see Nine Points Mesa owned by the people of Budweiser, it's in my front yard.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
In my thread 'first shakedown is upon us' I mentioned how hard the bare cushions are so I know first hand why you all are talking about what the best topper is. Adrian said he uses 4 egg crate foam toppers. Anyone else use these? He also mentioned he finds memory foam hard and hot which doesn't sound good... Any other cushy non hot options?
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #28

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
I can only speak for Novaform....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
In my thread 'first shakedown is upon us' I mentioned how hard the bare cushions are so I know first hand why you all are talking about what the best topper is. Adrian said he uses 4 egg crate foam toppers. Anyone else use these? He also mentioned he finds memory foam hard and hot which doesn't sound good... Any other cushy non hot options?
Novaform is NOT hot and Not hard.....to us....it's perfect. But, that's us. Everyone is different.
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #29
Baj

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
Novaform is NOT hot and Not hard.....to us....it's perfect. But, that's us. Everyone is different.
Is this the one you bought?

link: Do Not Buy Costco Novaform Memory Foam Topper | Memory Foam Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by from link
Do Not Buy Costco Novaform Memory Foam Topper

I know I was supposed to list you the best memory foam toppers on the market, but this time I‘ll give you the worst one that I‘ve ever seen. Yes, we are talking about 2.5 inch Costco distributed Novaform Memory Foam Topper. Don‘t get me wrong, most of the Novaform Products are great and extremely high quality (I‘ll write later on in the mattress reviews for the Novaform Elite Memory Mattress which is one of the best I‘ve ever seen), but specifically for the 2.5 inch foam topper currently promoted by Costco is very very bad.

The Novaform Topper is made of extremely high quality Visco Elastic Memory Foam (which is very good), but the 2.5 inc version is very buggy and in about 30% of all packages shows fabric/manufacturing problems mostly related to deflation problems. Most memory foam mattresses are shipped in vacuumed condition (they shrink extremely much when vacuumed) and when you open them they inflate and expand to their normal size. The thing about this particular topper is that in many cases it does not deflate properly on the edges and somehow looks weird. If you don‘t care about the looks (because when you put it in the velour cover you don‘t actually see that problems, its not that bad and it‘s actually quite nice for $90-$150 USD price…..

Also note that a lot of people are complaining about the intensive gas/paint type of smell which is actually from the visco memory foam chemical that converts regular foam to memory foam, but this smell will fade away in few days without problem. All memory foam mattresses have that smell when fabricated but in most cases the manufacturer aerate them to loose the smell and then package them for shipping. In this case I suppose Costco didn‘t bother to wait that few days and they packaged them immediately after fabrication and that‘s why they have that smell.

The overall quality of the novaform memory foam topper is quite good, and I‘d say that for the price of $90 for a full size mattress is not that bad and actually quite cheap. If you will be able to keep it aside and live with the little defects on the edges it is a very good quality topper as being made of high quality Visco Elastic Memory Foam which makes it good, but if you are able to spend a bit more then you should go with some other topper like the TempSoma memory foam topper.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #30

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
I'm jumping in pretty far along this thread - but here's my 2 cents.

We use natural latex, it is more expensive but wonderfully comfortable, found an on line site that sells it cheaper than retail & has clearances of odd pieces, which given trailer bed sizes works great, we just trimmed the corners to fit. On top I have a wool topper. The combination is heaven & for a person who does not sleep easily, well, and has lots of aches and pains, I find this combination well worth the cost.

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A feather bed topper is another option. Only downside to them is if you are taking the bed apart everyday they are a bit bulky to stow away.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #32

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Featherbed.

Google

I didn't read the last page of posts, I was 1 post late, lol. When I got home this weekend I was going to use our featherbed from our king bed and double it over, I hope it works, the innerseams were starting to come apart anyways and feathers get bunched up and no longer stay in the cells.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #33

Pennsylvania
I believe if you read the whole site where the customers themselves have nothing but good to say about the Novaform.....maybe then you would be sharing some honest information. Do take the time to go to the bottom of that site and then reply back on this site with the rest of the info. Don't just produce information from one person Baj. I took the time to read that whole site and if you would have, you would have not tried to make me look like a complete fool for buying it and telling the honest truth about it. Have you ever bought one? Have you read the whole site?.....The people that replied to that site could not believe this person wrote the above. I can if you wish copy and paste all of the comments concerning the Novaform and no.....for pete sake....I don't work for novaform.
Your post was so misleading .....
Old 06-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #34

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Uh Oh!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #35

Pennsylvania
Btw.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
I believe if you read the whole site where the customers themselves have nothing but good to say about the Novaform.....maybe then you would be sharing some honest information. Do take the time to go to the bottom of that site and then reply back on this site with the rest of the info. Don't just produce information from one person Baj. I took the time to read that whole site and if you would have, you would have not tried to make me look like a complete fool for buying it and telling the honest truth about it. Have you ever bought one? Have you read the whole site?.....The people that replied to that site could not believe this person wrote the above. I can if you wish copy and paste all of the comments concerning the Novaform and no.....for pete sake....I don't work for novaform.
Your post was so misleading .....
Did you even consider who owns the site and did you happen to notice who Costco has as competitors? Did you notice the advertisers names? You should have before you posted the negative stuff. I'll take Costco anytime. And lastly....we do love our Novaform.

Do Not Buy Costco Novaform Memory Foam Topper | Memory Foam Mattress

For those of you that wish to have the good with the bad....just go to the bottom of the site and read all the comments by those that have used the Novaform. Some against......but most for it.
have a great weekend everyone.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #36

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
May I interject?
I personally think ALL foam inferior to good old fashioned springs!
The front bunk in my trailer is a refitted aluminum camp cot with double springs. We take turns sleeping on it, according to whose back is sorest on the day..
It's heavenly...

Believe you me, if we didn't need the dinette bed to serve as a table during the day, it would have springs, too!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #37

Pennsylvania
Oh..I remember those Francesca!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
May I interject?
I personally think ALL foam inferior to good old fashioned springs!
The front bunk in my trailer is a refitted aluminum camp cot with double springs. We take turns sleeping on it, according to whose back is sorest on the day..
It's heavenly...

Believe you me, if we didn't need the dinette bed to serve as a table during the day, it would have springs, too!

Francesca
I remember using those springs and a couple cement block on top of them for weight to help grade the new lawn for seed.
Honestly though....I remember the springs, the cotton mattress, the feather pillow.....I remember sleeping onboard the Carrier in a swing hammock with a cotton mattress.
Believe me.......I'll keep my Novaform any day over the springs! But everyone has their opinion of what is comfy.
btw.....I have had trouble with my shoulders for years........Within a month after using the new novaform my shoulders no longer hurt. That might be simply because of the old mattress. Sad part about it.......it wasn't that old!
have a great weekend everyone.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #38
Baj

North Carolina
Sorry I got ya so worked up there BigLew. I think your taking your choice in a mattress topper a bit to personal, no? It was not my intent to make you look like a fool, especially over a silly mattress topper, lol! I simply did a quick search and came across that page and wanted to post it for you and others to see who have bought novaform and could tell me if that is the model to stay away from or no that is what we bought and we love it don't listen to that crap...
The whole page was way to much to copy onto here and the reason I posted a link to the page first before my quote.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #39

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation Shorter is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
...could tell me if that is the model to stay away from or no that is what we bought and we love it don't listen to that crap...
This statement is the heart of the matter.
Rather than copying and pasting a lot of copy that hides your intent in verbiage, it would be better to make a straightforward statement like the one above, with just the link for reference, and trust people to read the link for themselves.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We built our new mattress for our camper out of an Aerus natural 8" mattress from sams club online and the Aerus natural 2.5" 5lb. Density topper from sams club online. These are both memory foam products with the mattress containing approximately 3" of 3 lb. density memory foam on top. With a three night trial run, I can say that our new matress is as comfortable or more so, than our tempurpedic deluxe we sleep on at home, that we paid over four times as much for. I don't think either of the beds sleep hot, but I am normally hot all the time. I would prefer to sleep with the windows open in 45 degree F° anyways. The beds get softer the longer you lay on them. The memory foam is temperature reactive. Warmer equals softer and faster return rates. (this is by no means a technical explanation) The heat from your body will help the bed get softer. I like to get into our bed when it is cold and just sink into the foam as it cradles around me.

I personally have reaped the benefits of the memory foam. I had back surgery of the L5-S1 disk twelve years ago. I suffered with a stiff and and sore back every morning. After buying our tempurpedic and since the first night sleep on it, I've been sleeping better and waking up without the back pain for the last two and a half years.

HTH
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote