Alt to Memory Foam? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #41

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
Sorry I got ya so worked up there BigLew. I think your taking your choice in a mattress topper a bit to personal, no? It was not my intent to make you look like a fool, especially over a silly mattress topper, lol! I simply did a quick search and came across that page and wanted to post it for you and others to see who have bought novaform and could tell me if that is the model to stay away from or no that is what we bought and we love it don't listen to that crap...
The whole page was way to much to copy onto here and the reason I posted a link to the page first before my quote.

then why only post the negative section of that site? BTW....that site is owned by a competitor. It would be like having this site only recommend just one brand of egg campers because they receive money from them for their advertisment. Thank God this site doesn't work the same way as the one you posted. This one is more like Consumer Reports, only better.
No hard feelings here. Have a good weekend.
BTW....did you ever get that check valve issue fixed? If not PM me and I'll try to help you out.
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #42

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This statement is the heart of the matter.
Rather than copying and pasting a lot of copy that hides your intent in verbiage, it would be better to make a straightforward statement like the one above, with just the link for reference, and trust people to read the link for themselves.
Agree.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #43
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
Frederick go back and read my post, and look for my first direct to the point sentence I wrote: "Is this the one you bought?"

Anyway, thanks BigLew for clarifying that it is in fact a good mattress topper.
Ofcourse no hard feelings
No, I plan on reinstalling that check valve today, 'right side' up from how the PO installed it...if I still have a problem I will be looking for your help
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #44

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Frederick go back and read my post, and look for my first direct to the point sentence I wrote: "Is this the one you bought?"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
Don't just produce information from one person Baj. I took the time to read that whole site and if you would have, you would have not tried to make me look like a complete fool for buying it and telling the honest truth about it.
I did read it several times, and came to the same conclusion that BigLew did.

But I am glad that you both worked it out.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #45

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We have a TempurPedic mattress at home, a memory foam mattress in our Egg Camper, and a two inch topper on top of a four inch topper (no mattress) in our Kodiak. Don't find any of them any colder than any other mattress in the winter or hot in the summer. As an aside, we use 100% cotton flannel sheets year around on all. Never feel clammy in humid weather and feel really nice in cold weather.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #46

Pennsylvania
Sounds like

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
We have a TempurPedic mattress at home, a memory foam mattress in our Egg Camper, and a two inch topper on top of a four inch topper (no mattress) in our Kodiak. Don't find any of them any colder than any other mattress in the winter or hot in the summer. As an aside, we use 100% cotton flannel sheets year around on all. Never feel clammy in humid weather and feel really nice in cold weather.
Sounds like you found exactly what you wanted for comfort. I've never slept on a Tempurpedic...but I've heard they are a fantastic mattress!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #47

Trailer: 79 Trillium 4500
Registry
I love my 3" memory foam topper. I found one at a local discount clothing store (ie Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx) for $45 and took it and the cushions from my Trillium to a local foam cutter who then custom cut the curves and notches for $15.
It does need to air out for a few days when you first take it out of the packaging...and it's a bulky mess if you need to get to the bench storage, but I love the comfort.
Zipped two Coleman flannel sleeping bags together for an easy AND HUGE snuggle sack and I sleep like a baby (without the crying and diaper changes of course)...
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #48

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Exclamation

This is another great thread!

I have a narrow Gaucho Couch that is uncomfortable because of the "crease" where it folds back into it's couch position.

My problem is that I need it converted into a couch during the day so that I can move about the cabin. A 3" topper won't work for me.

My questions:
  1. What's the maximum thickness of a topper which will allow me to convert the bed back into couch position?
  2. Will memory foam eventually develop a "crease"?
  3. Is there a better material (novafoam) to prevent a future crease?
  4. Can you cut the novafoam topper to fit it to the couch?

That couch has become my most pressing project so I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #49

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
How did you find a "foam cutter"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
I love my 3" memory foam topper. I found one at a local discount clothing store (ie Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx) for $45 and took it and the cushions from my Trillium to a local foam cutter who then custom cut the curves and notches for $15.
It does need to air out for a few days when you first take it out of the packaging...and it's a bulky mess if you need to get to the bench storage, but I love the comfort.
Zipped two Coleman flannel sleeping bags together for an easy AND HUGE snuggle sack and I sleep like a baby (without the crying and diaper changes of course)...
Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #50

Trailer: 79 Trillium 4500
Registry
Melissa and Jane,
You both need to call a local foam place. I did a local Google search for "Foam Products" and it brought up every place in a 20 mile radius. I ended up calling a guy at Bob's Foam Factory close to my house and just asked the very questions you posed here...
Good luck!
Laurie
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #51

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab
How did you find a "foam cutter"??
When we made our new bed, we made a cardboard pattern, removed the foam from its cover, and cut it slightly larger than the pattern with an electric knife. The saying " like a hot knife through butter" is fairly accurate. Everything worked great untill the cheap knife broke. My fault, I bought the cheapest knife walmart had ( $9 ) and all that extended cutting made it get warm. One of the blades wouldn't move with the motor. We sawed our way through the last of the cuts and returned the knife.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote