Alternative camping spots verses campgrounds - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #29

Name: Linda
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
it's been years since i was a serious camper--there are so many great camping options out there, now!! thank you all for the enticing ideas--i can see that i will be exploring all these sites for a few days!!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #30

Kansas
i will be leaving on sunday to travel a couple of states away to pick up my "new" casita freedom. excitement! i guess you're never too old to get anticipation butterflies--good to know. the beginning of a whole new series of adventures, assuming i make it back in one piece!

Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tires and bearings. Those are the two things that can ruin an otherwise good day.

For the tires, check dates, not tread wear. It's stamped into the sidewall as WWYY (2413 means the 24th week of 2013). Most tire shops won't touch a tire over 6 or 7 years old. Check the pressure, too, and lug nuts.

For bearings, find out from the seller when they were last serviced. If it's within a couple of years, you're probably good. If not, or unknown, it might be worth your peace of mind to have them serviced locally before driving home a long distance. If that's not practical, monitor hub temperature frequently during the first couple of hundred miles.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #32

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
New Scamp Screen door

I like this better than the old wooden framed screen, stays shut and is nice.

We will see about durability
Attached Images

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #33

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Bill, my friend, I don't see much on those pictures. You want to elaborate a little so we can get excited with you?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 PM   #34

Wisconsin
Registry
AH yes

One is the screen closed...on shows how it slides open
Attached Thumbnails
Screen open.jpg   screen closed.jpg  

Old 02-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #35

Kansas
cool! is this standard?
Old 02-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #36

Wisconsin
Registry
standard

yes..scamp change to this last year

Old 02-11-2016, 11:49 PM   #37

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Very nice my friend! NOW I'm happy and I rejoice with you!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: in the market
Florida
hey now traveling from NY (81 S) To Florida using 95 next week any camping pull off /camping ideas with my new new Burro ( stored 4 years) any ideas greatly appreciated
Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #39

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions on places to camp (possibly at no cost) rather than paying for a campground?

When traveling..there are times we just need a spot to pull over before continuing on to our final destination.

Sure would like to get a recommendation on a nice paved, lighted spot....and if there were similar places across the country.....oh that would be stupendous.

Certainly would be nice to have bathroom facilities also. Oh jeepers..if you might know of a place like that ....it would be nice if there was somewhere that a guy could shop for some last minute items.

Hmmmm...if anyone knows of a place like this...please let me know.

I'll be waiting for replies and recommendations....
For just a few hours sleep there's rest areas, truck stops, walmart, and sometimes a gas station. Always a good idea to ask before just going to sleep. I usually ask if there's someplace I can park my trailer a little sleep. Have always been directed to a location.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #40

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaulacmichaelj View Post
hey now traveling from NY (81 S) To Florida using 95 next week any camping pull off /camping ideas with my new new Burro ( stored 4 years) any ideas greatly appreciated
Bass Pro sometimes allows overnight parking in its parking lots.

One thing I learned in boy Scouts was to ALWAYS have a Plan B. In fact our tour permits specifically included Plan Bs. We usually carried tarps and our Plan B was to camp on Us Forest Service land, if our church arrangements fell through. We usually threw down our sleeping bags in the social hall of the church, but I have heard recently that you can ask a church if you can park overnight in their lot. Most of the churches we stayed at were close to Interstates but usually quiet.

A canoe outfitter let us camp overnight in their parking lot in our van once.
in Florida yu're not allowed to park overnight in rest stops but nothing is said about taking a few hours in daylight to nap.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #41

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
My first choice is Cracker Barrel. Some even designate RV parking areas, and breakfast is just out the door.

Walt
Old 04-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #42

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
There was some comment earlier about "no free lunch" and attempting to chastise people for using places other than campgrounds. My response to that is I have paid for rest areas with gas tax. I've paid for Walmart parking by shopping at Walmart. I pay my way at truck stops by eating a meal at the truck stop restaurant. I pay my way at a gas station by purchasing gas.
Therefore is makes no sense to pay again to support some campground or another when most overcharge to begin with.

I calculated what it would have cost me in camping fees above gas, groceries, and meals if I had stayed in campground this past winter trip. 5 nights on the road, the a week at Padre Island "campground". 3 nights to New Orleans, then at bayou Signet campground for a week. 4 nights back to Oregon Pipe Cactus in AZ then 20 days there. Eventually getting to Death Valley after a few Days in Lake Mead Recreational Area. From Death Valley 1 night on the way home. If I had of stayed in those RV Parks/Resorts it would have cost me 13 nights at average of about $40.00 per night. $520.00 even at have that price it be $260 that's a lot of gas.