alternatives to honda and yamaha generators - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Ron, do you own one of these from Harbor Freight? Is it quiet enough to run after 9pm in a campground? Can't believe it is that cheap. If you have one and like it and it has lasted a while,,,I live right near a Harbor Freight place. Thanks for the tip....Lloyd

Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Ron, do you own one of these from Harbor Freight? Is it quite enough to run after 9pm in a campground? Can't believe it is that cheap. If you have one and like it and it has lasted a while,,,I live right near a Harbor Freight place. Thanks for the tip....Lloyd
No I dont own one... the Abba lyrics were just a joke. I wouldn't take the chance.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
With generators or anything else you care to buy...caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).
When you buy stuff like these scrap iron chinese surplus bargain junk gensets, you get surplus (read: you won't be happy with it) bargain junk. It's really silly to entertain the thought that you can pay for a Yugo but expect to get a Lexus. Junk and quality are two separate issues, and never the twain shall meet. Save your money until you can afford a good one, you will only regret doing otherwise in the long run.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
With generators or anything else you care to buy...caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).
When you buy stuff like these scrap iron chinese surplus bargain junk gensets, you get surplus (read: you won't be happy with it) bargain junk. It's really silly to entertain the thought that you can pay for a Yugo but expect to get a Lexus. Junk and quality are two separate issues, and never the twain shall meet. Save your money until you can afford a good one, you will only regret doing otherwise in the long run.
Pretty much my thinking in the 60s. No one in their right mind would buy a Mitutoyo micrometer. Pure junk they were.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I believe it is inaccurate to class the Kipor, et al, inverter-generators as plus junk -- IMHO, they aren't as good as the Honda-Yamaha sets, but they aren't all that bad. They are just pretty good copies of the Japanese designs (Ironic, indeed), slightly over-priced for what they are because they stand in the reflected glory of the better H-Ys and don't seem to have anywhere near the support networks. There are some bad ones, but many more good ones, just as there are bad Hondas and Yamahas, but the bad Kipors seem to get more press on groups like this.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
This pretty much goes under the heading "you get what you pay for"!
Like the lesson one of my sons experienced. He needed a specialty tool for a job. Thinking he'd only need it for one job, he bought a cheap one. Half way through the job it broke. Now he had to take a couple hours off to obtain a replacement, ...yup, you guess it, he bought a second "cheapy". It broke just as he finished the job.
A couple of days later he needed that tool again. Time is money, and the time he'd wasted replacing the original tool, & the cost of the 2 broken ones more than made up for the price of a new Snap-On tool, and he did not yet possess a working tool! Lesson learned even if it did cost him more than twice the cost of buying the good tool from the beginning.
If your contemplated purchase is something you are going to have to depend on, save your time and money, save up for another season, (and let your friends and relatives collectively contribute towards a great birthday, Father's Day or Christmas gift). It's much more enjoyable to give towards a gift that one knows is truly desired.

Food for thought today...!
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I once had an sales person at House of Tools tell me it was better to spend twice the money on a tool you can pass on to your kids, then spend half the money on a tool that will need replacing soon.

Good advice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #22

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
To me Gensets are really just another tool designed to do a certain job in a certain way.

Not all buyers require the same use from their tools. Just because a Genset may not be quiet and an inverter model there is no inherent design flaw or quality that goes along with these features.
There are many Generators designed for the construction markets that need only deliver reliable full rated output without fail and this is designed in instead of the features we seem to need for out completely different purpose.
There are emergency power systems that have another set of features and are designed around these needs.

It is too easy when comparing these to cross the lines between features and quality and cloud the suggestions that may be helpful I think.

Last year someone in our radio club decided to take it on himself to try to get everyone a deal on gensets that he felt would be appropriate for emergency power and radio use.
He somehow decided based purely on price that the crappiest chinese knockoff copy of the Honda was the way to go.
about 20 people bought into the notion that this would be a good deal.
They bought them in powers ranging from 1000 watts to 4000 watts and they were all about twice the size and weight of the Hondas.
They are a TOTAL pile of junk! The paint even falls off just taking them out of the box.The idea of relying on these in an emergency situation is absurd and they are loud and run terribly too.

Now do not confuse these with the gensets sold here by name brand companies that make lawn equipment,many of which are not Honda but are also a far cry from these pieces of junk.
The Troybuilt I have is one of these. It is not a Honda nor do they claim it is but it is a reliable quality tool that does what it is supposed to do which may not be ideal for these needs.

There seem to be more than just good and bad gensets and they are function driven not just quality driven in their design.

Lastly,I decided last year never to buy anything from Harbor Freight again no matter how small and unimportant it seemed.
A friend of mine bought a shovel there to dig a small trench for a job.
The shovel broke within 5 minutes of him starting and I do not mean that the handle broke,the shovel head itself broke!
He took it back and they gave him a "New" one and of course it broke the same way.
I have never heard of a shovel breaking this way.
I can tell many more stories about the cheap junk they sell but I know many already know this and lots of people shop there because of this.

Does anyone really feel like these kinds of savings make any sense at all? Are you even saving anything?
I have decided there is nothing there that is possibly worth relying on and I lose money even walking in the door and thinking about it.

I rely on tools to make a living and they last thing I need are tools of any kind that I can not trust.
That said,I realize there are also those among us who value spending less no matter what it costs them who will never see it like I do.