Alto Trailer-Not a FGRV, but Wow! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi-Lo is a specific brand of trailer that operates entirely differently than the Alto. I believe that there are some Hi-Lo trailer owners on the site.

And, before going to the two named "A" frames, I know at least one of them in the past, has had a reputation for not sealing well in the rain. And that's pretty low-tech.

But if no one ever bought into someone's new ideas I guess we would be doomed to the 1970's designs and technology many of us have. I think that it's a neat and innovative idea and hope it works out enough so that the price can come down.

And a plug for our northern peeps. The construction quality of our Canadian built Lil'Bigfoot was well above that of a certain U.S. brand who's initials are S***P, that we sold just before buying the Lil'Bigfoot.

Maybe bashing should be held off until we get at least one report.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #42
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And a plug for our northern peeps. The construction quality of our Canadian built Lil'Bigfoot was well above that of a certain U.S. brand who's initials are S***P, that we sold just before buying the Lil'Bigfoot.
True Bob but we leaned from the quality built American trailers that were built in the 50's and 60's.

My dad being in the RV sales business was unimpressed with Canadian built trailers of that era. Builtrites, Generals, Citations were all substandard compared to the quality built Mallards, Holiday Ramblers, Fan, Apache etc. That is why he imported and sold mostly American built product. The quality was superior at that time. Now I would say, generally speaking that both the North and South have good and bad quality products.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #43

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I looked into the Alto when it came out. As I recall, the top comes up the most in the rear. It is hinged in the front, so it hardly rises at the front dinette, a little more at the door area, more still farther back, etc. The interior height at door and toilet areas was sufficient for a person to enter and 'go' easily enough, just stooping a bit (or more than a bit if the person were very tall).

The top is raised and lowered by pushing a button. My main dislike there is that the movement is (or was) quite slow, taking a full couple of minutes to rise completely.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #44

Name: Dean
Trailer: Shopping
California
I owned 2 tent trailers that were used mostly for desert excursions around SoCal. I vowed that I would never own another trailer that had fabric as part of the side or roof material. You could hear every obnoxious noise from the outside and it's no fun to depart a campsite folding web fabric. Also, it seems to me that the insulation factor of the Alto is poor, but I suppose you could lower the top at night.
Dean
dasadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #45

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Another take on the same idea...

Hilo Mojo

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #46

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
It is difficult to compare glass eggs with the Alto.

If you check out the images on their web page you can see how big and roomy they are on the inside. The upper windows bring in light and airiness not found in the eggs.
That is a good photo of the Alto. We camped at Grayton State Park (FL) where one was parked nearby. They are very impressive looking from the outside, and even more impressive looking from the inside. If there were Alto dealers in the US, it would be very tempting.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #47

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dean,

There is no cloth outer surfaces in the Alto. Lots of glass, the part Ginny did not like. Certainly glass has poor insulation value.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #48

Name: Sally
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Massachusetts
Alto R1723

We saw an Alto R1723 in person a few weeks ago. This is the one with the roof that raises. The benefit is that it's light and you can keep it in your garage. It's also one of the few small campers that my DH can actually stand up in - it's 82"! (What's with all those short campers!?!?)

It's very well made, very elegantly designed, etc. But they use the centrally placed bathroom wall as part of the structure for the sides, and it really messes up the floor plan. The (wet) bathroom door opens up directly into the cooking area, and the space is so small inside that one person would have to step aside to let the other pass. This would be avoided with a front or end bathroom. It would even help if they just moved the door to the side. And the pictures make it look a lot larger inside than it really is.

And I don't really buy their structural argument. (I talked to them about it.) There are plenty of ways to solve this, like a large "L" bracket.)

If you can afford this thing, then just add a little bit more $$ and get an Airstream!
Sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #49

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
A hinged window on the frontal area of the camper?! Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. No rubber seal can be expected to protect against water intrusion against 80mph winds (driving 60mph into a 20mph headwind in a driving rain). I have had campers with such windows, and pulled off the road after a rainstorm to find the whole front of the camper absolutely soaked. Never again.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #50

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
We spent quite a bit of time perusing these from their website. JFTR, they do make a non hinged version of the camper which is also much cheaper too boot and almost takes on the appearance of teardrop on steroids. Their construction methodology is quite similar to the T@b trailers which we own using the Alumifiber (think I got that right) panels incorporated into the T@bs'. They certainly are cool and futuristic looking. Just not our cup of tea for the price of admission. Didn't see much about 4 season camping with these things either which the Escape's and Oliver's deal with very well.

Rob
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #51

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Actually I have had several campers with a hinged and curved window in front, a Dutchman T@da and a Lance 1575, both had the European Dometic acrylic windows that are frameless windows with the hinge and rubber compressed by the window, no leaks.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #52

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Likewise we have never had leaks with our T@b windows either which use the same type of windows. In fact they are great when its raining and much preferred over horizontal sliders. BTW these windows aren't acrylic they are polycarbonate much tougher and stronger, though one of our round portholes was literally knocked out and busted in a hail storm a few years ago. Hail stones were almost the size of a tennis ball±.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #53

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
I love the look and features of the Alto. I considered buying one a few years ago, but decided they were too expensive for me. So we bought an old Boler (and then spent quite a bit on the renovation!). We're thrilled with our renovation; but the Alto is the one I passed up. (I also looked at the T@B trailers, but found out they were simply too small for me; our 13' Boler provided me with more space (I'm 6'2"). We also considered a new Scamp, but again, price dictated that Boler and now that the renos are done, I have no regrets about not purchasing a newer model Scamp.)
rova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #54

Name: Gloria
Trailer: In the market
Florida
We just learned about the Alto I think yesterday from this forum. They seem pretty well made and compact...... Did anybody say they leak????
Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #55

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
We just learned about the Alto I think yesterday from this forum. They seem pretty well made and compact...... Did anybody say they leak????
Maybe you'd get more information finding a forum (I'm SURE there's one) for Alto owners. Those folks are liable to be more honest than those of us that only own all-molded towables. Or the one or two Alto owners that come across FiberglassRV by accident.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:08 AM   #56
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
We talked with the folks from Alto for over an hour at the Toronto RV show a few years ago. Also had a very good look at the product. It reeks of quality. The folks there are serious about getting things right. Some parts are even imported from France. Sorry not sure about any leak issues.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #57

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...Those folks are liable to be more honest than those of us that only own all-molded towables...
Yea, we are a pretty dishonest and sometimes disreputable group.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #58

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Yea, we are a pretty dishonest and sometimes disreputable group.
Maybe that is just you Northern Alberta types.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #59

Name: Gloria
Trailer: In the market
Florida
My first choice would be a Fiberglass :-) but we are still evaluating all our options... Thanks!
Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #60

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Did anybody say they leak????
EVERY trailer will/can leak if not maintained - even a fiberglass one
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote