Aluminum RV equitable to Fiberglass RV? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
FG repairs are expensive also. I got a quote recently to fix two cracks above the door on my Lil Hauley... a pro FG shop wanted over $800. The folks at Snoozy said that's about in line with what they'd expect, too.
I'm curious if the cost is partly due to the unique way L'il Snoozy makes their shells in two layers with a fiber core. Of course, at $100+/hour at most repair shops, it wouldn't take long for any repair to get to $800.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
FG repairs are expensive also. I got a quote recently to fix two cracks above the door on my Lil Hauley... a pro FG shop wanted over $800. The folks at Snoozy said that's about in line with what they'd expect, too.
I specifically referred to a small impact or scrape. I have had several of these that did some minor scuffing on the gel coat that were easily removed with polish or cleaner. If the same type damage happened to aluminum it would not just buff out.

I suspect that cracks above the door on Mikes trailer are structural failures, not from an impact or scrape. In this case the structure of the trailer needs to be repaired and probably improved. After the structure is repaired the surface needs to be restored.

The type damage I referred to is nowhere near the same as what Mike is referring to. Ever see an aluminum trailer that has been in a hail storm ? I have and there were lots of very small dents in the metal. I'm thinking a fiberglass trailer would have had far less damage .

Old 04-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
From Jon, "Norm, I think you are an outlier, too… in a good way! You have learned to travel light."

Jon, In a sense we travel light, yet I suspect we have more add ons to our Scamp 16 than any one.

We have added 6 inside drawers to our Scamp, one 3 door overhead cabinet, another 2 door, 6 shelf over couch cabinet and 8 added outside storage volumes. This does not include the 20 or 30 wall mounted storage spaces added for small stuff.

We do not have the typical second propane tank, a permanent outside awning or a roof top air conditioner (though we have a 5000 BTU inside air conditioner).

All our spaces, except for the generally empty hamper (added) and the grey and black tank, are full.

Unlike many people we do not carry anything like coolers, screen rooms, in our trailer or tow vehicle. The items we carry in the tow vehicle are not extra clothes or extra food. (We do carry travel snacks, sweaters and wind breakers in the tow vehicle.)

Why are we lighter?

It looks like we are the heaviest Scamp 16 outside of the deluxe Scamp 16. I'm surprised there are not more Scamp 16s in the Trailer Weight list.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
They will dent in a hail storm.
This to me was much more of a deciding factor not to consider the Camplite. I wrote and asked how hail damage would be repaired because everywhere we have lived, it hails! I was told that the entire panel would have to be replaced. We are talking an entire end or side and our experience with major repairs is that it just ruins a unit. I was impressed that Jayco now has aluminum siding where you can slide out one to replace rather than removing all the siding in that area.

Camplite is pricey and the floor is not isulated unless you get some spray rubber which I doubt would be impressive. I read a post on another forum where the guy spilled his coffee and it immediately froze on the floor of his Camplite. Also, the materials they are using Azdel hasn't stood any real test of time as far as I am concerned.

And, lastly, but very important is that the company sold to Thor. I have seen other products that were bought by Thor and you immediately get a drop in price and quality. Yes, Airstream is owned by Thor but the advice I got is that if I purchased one, purchase pre-Thor.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...Why are we lighter? It looks like we are the heaviest Scamp 16 outside of the deluxe Scamp 16...

Perhaps I misunderstood, Norm. In your earlier post I understood you to say your Scamp weighs 2400 pounds, and Jon V's spreadsheet lists Scamp 16'ers ranging from 2420 to 2800 pounds.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #20

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
"two cracks above the door on my Lil Hauley..."

What caused your cracks? From screw holes? Someone reported this from snoozy window screw holes here. Are you covered under their warranty? I assume not with your last disaster trying to get warranty work out of them, that is, if you are Rexlion on rv.net.

Search the forum here op for "Leak" you will quickly see every brand has had some problems.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood, Norm. In your earlier post I understood you to say your Scamp weighs 2400 pounds, and Jon V's spreadsheet lists Scamp 16'ers ranging from 2420 to 2800 pounds.
Jon, my Scamp 16 is number 37 on the list, 2400 on the axle and 200 on the tongue for a total of 2600 lbs. It's an area that causes me a little confusion, I always give weight by axle weight and tongue weight.

The one number that's most surprised me after owning 3 trailers is the effect of shape on mpg. My lightest trailer, a boxy trailer, gave us the worse mpg towing all with the same tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #22

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
As a relative newbie to Scamping I have kept my ears and eyes open to learn from others on the road. One person who also enjoys the "off the beaten track" camping for nature experiences told me he was very sorry he did not get FG trailer like a Scamp or Casita. Apparently the "stick and staple" (his term) aluminum clad construction does not like dirt/gravel bumpy roads and repairs after one long washboarded stretch of road were horrendous as parts of the wooden frame internally shook apart.

Love our Scamp. Been in it non-stop since Jan. 16th.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #23

Arizona
Registry
The Camplite trailers the OP is asking about have an all-aluminum frame as well as outer skin. Even the floor and much of the chassis is aluminum. It does promise to be more durable than your friend's "sticks and staples" trailer, but it has other drawbacks, and the jury is out as to how it will hold up in the long haul compared to the proven durability of molded fiberglass. Check back in, say, 30 years for a final judgment.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Camplite has an aluminum frame as do some others.

With non-molded fiberglass, you have to look at the manufacturers and the line when it comes to quality as some do better than others. You can get an entry level for $10,000 and that works for some people depending on their use and I have heard that for weekends and vacation with that unit, you are looking at a life of about 5 years. Sadly, higher end non-molded have been going out of business at a steady pace over the last several years. Peterson Excel just recently closed their doors.

Many people here also believe that some of the molded fiberglass are superior to others. Scamp has a place in the market with a lower price tag but so does Oliver at a much higher price tag as does all the units between those two extremes.

Choices are good. No one size fits all.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:32 PM   #25

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
One thing that's not been mentioned yet is simple fit and finish. I looked at Camplites when I first began trailer shopping. Then I went to a Egg meet up and the difference was obvious. From how tightly the door seams lined up to how the cabinet locks felt and closed. Every make and model of used FGRV seemed to be better made than the brand new Camplite.

It was like comparing an early 80's American economy car to a BMW.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #26

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had also read on another forum that the camp-lite trailers "echo" or have a harsh sound, and some condensation issues, as the metal transfers cold into your heated space.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #27

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
One thing that's not been mentioned yet is simple fit and finish. I looked at Camplites when I first began trailer shopping. Then I went to a Egg meet up and the difference was obvious. From how tightly the door seams lined up to how the cabinet locks felt and closed. Every make and model of used FGRV seemed to be better made than the brand new Camplite.

It was like comparing an early 80's American economy car to a BMW.

LOL... I'd have a hard time comparing the fit and finish on my Scamp to a BMW. Vintage VW Beetle, maybe. Functional, but very basic.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
"two cracks above the door on my Lil Hauley..."

What caused your cracks? From screw holes? Someone reported this from snoozy window screw holes here. Are you covered under their warranty? I assume not with your last disaster trying to get warranty work out of them, that is, if you are Rexlion on rv.net.

Search the forum here op for "Leak" you will quickly see every brand has had some problems.
No screw holes. Not sure of the cause, but I speculate that it could be from the wind catching the door and slamming it, either wide open or shut (both have happened). Keep in mind that I use this Hauley for work 5 days a week, 9 months of the year, and OK is quite windy at times. The door hold-back has never worked correctly, either. But this is just a guess; there's no way to know exactly what caused the cracks. At least one crack does appear to go all the way through the shell, exterior to interior. The other one is behind the interior wood framing of the doorway, so I can't tell if it goes through.

The one year warranty ran out about 9 months ago. But the Snoozy folks have stepped up to the plate and stated that they will pay for the repair anyway. I have no complaint!

Jack L had a good point, he was referring to small dings, and they can be cheap/easy to fix. I backed into my own truck in the driveway and knocked a little off the outer edge, and it was not hard nor expensive to fill in with a little Tiger Hair.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote