Aluminum RV equitable to Fiberglass RV? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #41

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The trailer should weigh 1200-1300 lbs per the mfr. I calculate that my loads are not more than 1600 lbs, which makes a total of 2800-2900 lbs on a 3500 lb axle. However, the load weight is biased toward the driver's side. This is because I have to strap my wire display racks to one side, leaving the heavier bins full of merchandise (book/gift displays headed to schools) on the other side.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #42

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
So, it sounds like you are within the weight limits of the axle. The actual rigidity of the frame we don't really know. But, it sounds like the vast majority of the load is distributed on the driver's side, tongue to tail. This load is in boxes, so the load can flex with any movement in the floor that it sits on. Am I right so far?

If so, I would expect that with every bump in the road, the driver's side of the frame will absorb greater stresses than the passenger side, and will therefore flex more, creating a bowed arc on both sides of the axle fulcrum. This is compounded by the weight being not over the axle, but balanced across the axle, with heavy weight along it and at the ends of the lever.

That being the case, it will flex to the centerline on the downswing, and to the outside on the rebound. That flexing has to be absorbed by the stiffening panel, which is the rear wall. The most absorbent spot of the rear wall is the corner of the door, and concentrated on the driver side in particular.

The flex in question is probably very small, but the Snoozy shell is really not designed to flex at all. Things that don't flex ... crack. I would hesitate to call this a flaw in the Snoozy based on the information we have at this point. It may just be a use-case situation. But, I am a bit troubled at the mixed messages from the company. Approve the repair or deny it (either way may be proper in this case), but don't go back on your word.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #43

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
Seams. period. Eventually it will leak a lot more than a molded FGRV.
I have a very old Aluminum Truck Camper, 48 years old to be precise, that I plan to restore one day. It did have a leak were a branch fell on it an punctured a hole. The rest of it never leaked because it was sprayed with closed cell foam, or where a window was left open. Not only that, the spray foam preserved the wiring, supporting and protecting it, such that none of the wiring failed either. After removing and cleaning the light bulb sockets and replacing a few bulbs, every light circuit worked.

If Living-Lite uses closed cell spray foam then I would not worry about leaks except when the structure was physically damaged.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mike,
where did the photos go of your snoozy shell cracks in post 29?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Mike,
where did the photos go of your snoozy shell cracks in post 29?
Since the server update of a few days ago - some photos posted prior to the update have vanished or are simple a place card where they use to be. Not sure if that is the case with Mike's post or not. Hopefully he will respond and confirm if he removed them or if they have vanished due to the server upgrade.

I posted a note on the topic on the thread that gave us notices of the forum server update - but haven't heard back on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:54 AM   #46

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi,
I've been reading this thread and wondered why I can't see Mike's pictures of the crack above the door on his Lil Hauley? Always have been able to see pics before, and wondered if the recent update to the server here has found me unable to view pics. Reason being is I, too, have cracks on the left hand side above my door. I put Captain Tolley's in them last year and they haven't moved, but I should post pics and let everyone look.
The other thing that interested me was in the discussion about hail. Yes, aluminum does dent in hail as my pop up received a blow one time from this, and then I always put thin plywood boards over the top of her when bad weather was expected, and bungeed it to the frame. But I can't do that with my Scamp. No indoor storage option in summer for me...she sits in my driveway.
Does anybody have any ideas to ameliorate this concern (aside from insurance ) It's not so easy in an impending storm to get on top of the trailer and lay something down...plywood would not stay due to trailer's shape on top. Just wondered if anybody has thought of this and come up with ideas for protection.
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:23 AM   #47

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
2014 camplite trailer

I sold my last 16 foot scamp deluxe and have gone to camplite by livin lite. It's a 16 foot box with a 3 foot front, making it around 19.5 feet long.

There are many pros and cons to all trailers. I have had several scamps, a lil snoozy, an rpod and now the camp lite. Each has its own good and bad about it.

So far, I'm loving the camp lite. It's a light weight trailer, doesn't feel heavy at all. It's all aluminum inside, not a stick of wood in it. If it ever leaks, the floor won't rot out. Hopefully, it's in it for the long haul.

The storage in it is amazing. I have cabinets everywhere, and they are much more functional than the scamp or lil snoozy.

I have a dry bath. There is actually a little room to move in the bathroom. The shower is separate from the toilet.

There are many different models. I chose a model with a slide out. The extra room is amazing. No more supercramped or crowded. I go camping with 4 dogs, it was ridiculous in the scamp. The headroom is big. No worries about me hitting my head on anything. Oh, and I have two axles not one. More stable platform.

My major complaint about the scamp is why put rivets in the fiberglass. You make a nice product and then put holes all throughout the fiberglass. They haven't changed hardly anything in 30 years. Modernize, change, fix the things that don't work well.

There is no one trailer that fits all. To each his own.
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #48

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good idea Camptime please post your Edit (scamp) crack photo.

From what I have read about snoozy cracks we have Mike above, David here talking about floor cracks
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post528517

In the archives someone mentioned cracks around the window where screws penetrated. Then carlkeigley who had this crack
Attached Thumbnails
carlkeigley crack.JPG  
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #49

New York
Registry
I will post crack around door photo on my scamp for sure as soon as thunderstorms relent!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #50

New York
Registry
Here are my cracks. Notice I said cracks, not crack. Tee hee.

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1434142055.670722.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1434142072.201095.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  12.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1434142084.075888.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  18.1 KB

Old 06-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #51

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Wendy, it looks to me like those cracks are just in the gelcoat on the outer surface of the fiberglass. Just cosmetic, I think. This does happen sometimes with gelcoat.

At least one of my cracks is visible both outside and inside the trailer (can't tell on the other crack, the wooden door frame covers that area on the inside), so I think they go all the way through.

I did not remove the photos from post #29 (I don't think a post is even editable after about a day, unless a mod helps). Here they are again:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	85233

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	85234
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #52

New York
Registry
Hey Mike. I wanted to share with you a product I just bought. Magic Ezy 9 Second Chip Fix. It will repair those cracks without drama. Then you can put their glossy hairline fix over it.

I actually only bought the hairline fix as I didn't think my cracks were too deep. See, I have them on the roof too, as I mentioned my baby was in an accident with PO. Had repaired at scamp but trailer flexed. I still love her so much. Now that my kids have flown (ones in basic training now) I have the dog and my scamp.

Google it Mike!