Aluminum RV equitable to Fiberglass RV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 11:14 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Aluminum RV equitable to Fiberglass RV?

I was looking at the "LivinLite" trailers, and trying to compare them to the fiberglass ones. It seems they have many of the same advantages: light-weight, water/rot-resistant, rust-proof, durable, etc. Do FGRV people think of them as generally equitable to FGRVs, or is there some major difference that separates them? (other than the fact one is FG and the other is AL).
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Seams. period. Eventually it will leak a lot more than a molded FGRV.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:27 AM   #3

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
Seams. period. Eventually it will leak a lot more than a molded FGRV.
Ah, that makes sense. Since I plan to keep mine for a very long time (once I get one), I think not having seams is a better plan. Thanks!
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
Ah, that makes sense. Since I plan to keep mine for a very long time (once I get one), I think not having seams is a better plan. Thanks!
I don't think you'll get any all molded towable owner to disagree with your statement
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Living Lite Trailers are not so lite. We considered one before buying our first small trailer. They have significantly higher dry weights than an equivalent Scamp. Their advantage is they are a box trailer providing more storage space in the same length; their disadvantage is their shape is not aerodynamic with higher fuel operating costs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Resale value. Resale value. Resale value.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In fairness, they are comparable in weight to fiberglass. What creates confusion is that their model numbers designate cabin length, not overall length.

The Livin Lite 13 models have an overall length of 16'6", which places them between a Casita 16' and 17' for comparison. They have dry weights of 2250-2350 pounds, which is about midway between a Casita 16 SD at 2185 pounds and a 17 SD at 2480 pounds. (I chose Casita rather than Scamp because Scamp's dry weights do not include a lot of equipment that Casita and Livin Lite include as standard equipment.) It appears the true lightweight choice in that size/feature class is the Escape 17B, at 17'8" overall length and 2180 pounds dry.

Nevertheless, they are a bit wider, taller, and boxier than the fiberglass alternatives, so they will require more power and fuel to tow. They're pretty expensive, too, especially since there isn't much of a used market yet.

And, of course, there are those pesky seams.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In fairness, they are comparable in weight to fiberglass. What creates confusion is that their model numbers designate cabin length, not overall length.

The Livin Lite 13 models have an overall length of 16'6", which places them between a Casita 16' and 17' for comparison. They have dry weights of 2250-2350 pounds, which is about midway between a Casita 16 SD at 2185 pounds and a 17 SD at 2480 pounds. (I chose Casita rather than Scamp because Scamp's dry weights do not include a lot of equipment that Casita and Livin Lite include as standard equipment.) It appears the true lightweight choice in that size/feature class is the Escape 17B, at 17'8" overall length and 2180 pounds dry.

And, of course, there are those pesky seams.
Jon,

An un-optioned 13BHB Ultralight, is equivalent to a Scamp 16 in overall length, weighs EMPTY, 2250 lbs and a 285 lb tongue. That is without AC, and awning. As well it is capable of a potential 67 gallons (522 lbs) of fluids.

Our Scamp fully loaded weighs 2400 lbs with a 200 lb tongue including a half tank of water and an anti-sway bar.

Also we towed a fully loaded Casita 16 with AC, 1/2 tank of water and awning, it weighed 2600 lbs with a 260 lb tongue. The weights for the Casita and Scamp were both scale weights.

Discounting the poor areodynamic shape of the ultralight, it is both taller and wider than the Scamp 16 and Casita 16.

It surprised me that a trailer than is heavier than either the Scamp 16 and Casita 16 uses 13" tires.

Though the length is listed as 16' 6" the Ultra light's inside length is 13' I believe the same as a Scamp 16.

The Living lite belongs listed in under light trailers but it's not really ultra light. AN optioned Ultralight, loaded for travel will easily weigh more than a Scamp or Casita 16 and be a more significant tow load.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A small impact or scrape will permanently damage aluminum and repairs are difficult an expensive. Fiberglass is much more forgiving .
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
I had the 2..0 popup by Living Lite. It was a pain in the rear just to set up and take down. It weighed three hundred and eighty five pounds. I towed behind a small 4 cylinder 2. O Ford Focus. It had plenty of room. but the canvas and marine vinyl was always cold and freezing in cool weather. luckily I sold it when I bought my 1982 burro. I was lucky to get rid of it. I paid way too much for it.over $4,000 new and sold it for $2000 after having just two years. No resale value at all. I love my burro. I'm now 66 years old hopefully it will be the only camper I willever own the rest of my life. by the way, my burro 13 foot only weighs 13 hundred and twenty-five pounds loaded with all my gear and a propane tank.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I think the Camplites look pretty nice and they should be durable. When (not if) the seams leak, it should not do serious damage before it's found and resealed. To be fair, FG trailers can leak also eventually, at window and door openings or if plumbing springs a leak.

Figure on about 2-3 mpg less, and working the drive train correspondingly harder, with a Camplite. And I've heard that they are not as cozy in colder weather, especially the aluminum floor.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
A small impact or scrape will permanently damage aluminum and repairs are difficult an expensive. Fiberglass is much more forgiving .
FG repairs are expensive also. I got a quote recently to fix two cracks above the door on my Lil Hauley... a pro FG shop wanted over $800. The folks at Snoozy said that's about in line with what they'd expect, too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Aluminum RV equitable to Fiberglass RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jon,

An un-optioned 13BHB Ultralight, is equivalent to a Scamp 16 in overall length, weighs EMPTY, 2250 lbs and a 285 lb tongue. That is without AC, and awning. As well it is capable of a potential 67 gallons (522 lbs) of fluids.

Our Scamp fully loaded weighs 2400 lbs with a 200 lb tongue including a half tank of water and an anti-sway bar.

Also we towed a fully loaded Casita 16 with AC, 1/2 tank of water and awning, it weighed 2600 lbs with a 260 lb tongue. The weights for the Casita and Scamp were both scale weights.

Discounting the poor areodynamic shape of the ultralight, it is both taller and wider than the Scamp 16 and Casita 16.

It surprised me that a trailer than is heavier than either the Scamp 16 and Casita 16 uses 13" tires.

Though the length is listed as 16' 6" the Ultra light's inside length is 13' I believe the same as a Scamp 16.

The Living lite belongs listed in under light trailers but it's not really ultra light. AN optioned Ultralight, loaded for travel will easily weigh more than a Scamp or Casita 16 and be a more significant tow load.
From "Trailer Weights in the Real World":
Average loaded weight of a 16' fiberglass trailer: 2764 pounds
Average tongue weight of a 16' fiberglass trailer: 273 pounds
Average loaded weight of a 17' fiberglass trailer: 3221 pounds*
Average tongue weight of a 17' fiberglass trailer: 399 pounds*
*Oliver excluded as an outlier @ 3900 pounds

Norm, I think you are an outlier, too… in a good way! You have learned to travel lighter than most.

Loaded to the full GVWR of 3000 pounds (that's 650 or 750 pounds of options, gear & fluids, depending on model) the Livin Lite 13 models run midway between 16' and 17' fiberglass models. In terms of space inside, they are probably more equivalent to a 17'er than a 16'er due to the boxy shape and about 6" of additional width, but I couldn't find complete interior dimensions to back up that claim.

I stand by my statement that, weight-wise, they are in the same ballpark.

It is interesting that they have chosen to go with a less-robust axle and smaller tires. Looks like it would be fairly easy to overload a Livin Lite, especially if you travel with full tanks (not that any sensible person would do that ). On the other hand, larger tanks would be an advantage if staying in one place for an extended time without full hook-ups. Just make sure to dump before heading home!

I still think fiberglass is the better all-around choice for the many other reasons already mentioned: lack of seams, smaller and more aerodynamic towing profile, proven durability, repairability, and resale value.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #14

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
They will dent in a hail storm.
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
FG repairs are expensive also. I got a quote recently to fix two cracks above the door on my Lil Hauley... a pro FG shop wanted over $800. The folks at Snoozy said that's about in line with what they'd expect, too.
I'm curious if the cost is partly due to the unique way L'il Snoozy makes their shells in two layers with a fiber core. Of course, at $100+/hour at most repair shops, it wouldn't take long for any repair to get to $800.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I specifically referred to a small impact or scrape. I have had several of these that did some minor scuffing on the gel coat that were easily removed with polish or cleaner. If the same type damage happened to aluminum it would not just buff out.

I suspect that cracks above the door on Mikes trailer are structural failures, not from an impact or scrape. In this case the structure of the trailer needs to be repaired and probably improved. After the structure is repaired the surface needs to be restored.

The type damage I referred to is nowhere near the same as what Mike is referring to. Ever see an aluminum trailer that has been in a hail storm ? I have and there were lots of very small dents in the metal. I'm thinking a fiberglass trailer would have had far less damage .
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #17

Florida
From Jon, "Norm, I think you are an outlier, too… in a good way! You have learned to travel light."

Jon, In a sense we travel light, yet I suspect we have more add ons to our Scamp 16 than any one.

We have added 6 inside drawers to our Scamp, one 3 door overhead cabinet, another 2 door, 6 shelf over couch cabinet and 8 added outside storage volumes. This does not include the 20 or 30 wall mounted storage spaces added for small stuff.

We do not have the typical second propane tank, a permanent outside awning or a roof top air conditioner (though we have a 5000 BTU inside air conditioner).

All our spaces, except for the generally empty hamper (added) and the grey and black tank, are full.

Unlike many people we do not carry anything like coolers, screen rooms, in our trailer or tow vehicle. The items we carry in the tow vehicle are not extra clothes or extra food. (We do carry travel snacks, sweaters and wind breakers in the tow vehicle.)

Why are we lighter?

It looks like we are the heaviest Scamp 16 outside of the deluxe Scamp 16. I'm surprised there are not more Scamp 16s in the Trailer Weight list.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
They will dent in a hail storm.
This to me was much more of a deciding factor not to consider the Camplite. I wrote and asked how hail damage would be repaired because everywhere we have lived, it hails! I was told that the entire panel would have to be replaced. We are talking an entire end or side and our experience with major repairs is that it just ruins a unit. I was impressed that Jayco now has aluminum siding where you can slide out one to replace rather than removing all the siding in that area.

Camplite is pricey and the floor is not isulated unless you get some spray rubber which I doubt would be impressive. I read a post on another forum where the guy spilled his coffee and it immediately froze on the floor of his Camplite. Also, the materials they are using Azdel hasn't stood any real test of time as far as I am concerned.

And, lastly, but very important is that the company sold to Thor. I have seen other products that were bought by Thor and you immediately get a drop in price and quality. Yes, Airstream is owned by Thor but the advice I got is that if I purchased one, purchase pre-Thor.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...Why are we lighter? It looks like we are the heaviest Scamp 16 outside of the deluxe Scamp 16...

Perhaps I misunderstood, Norm. In your earlier post I understood you to say your Scamp weighs 2400 pounds, and Jon V's spreadsheet lists Scamp 16'ers ranging from 2420 to 2800 pounds.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"two cracks above the door on my Lil Hauley..."

What caused your cracks? From screw holes? Someone reported this from snoozy window screw holes here. Are you covered under their warranty? I assume not with your last disaster trying to get warranty work out of them, that is, if you are Rexlion on rv.net.

Search the forum here op for "Leak" you will quickly see every brand has had some problems.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote