AM/FM portable radio. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #41

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I keep looking for campgrounds where electronic noise devices are not allowed. I'd rather listen to birds or the wind blowing in the trees or water running down a nice stream. I go camping partly to get away from the noise not to bring it with me.
The world owes a huge thank you to Steve Jobs for his I-pod that essentially did change the world. No more boomboxes being carried around. Peace and quite in homes with teenagers and/or parents who like to listen to loud music that other people in the home don't want to hear.

I myself don't go camping with an audible to others music device. I don't even do that in the driveway or yard. It just seems rudely intrusive to do so when there is a better alternative. But a radio inside the RV would not be bad if you are not close to other people who might not want to hear what you are playing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #42

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
This site, offered previously, is worth a visit.
https://radiojayallen.com/

I also agree with the idea of a car radio installed in an RV cabinet. Plus 12 volt power may be easy to tap into. Radios are relatively low on current draw.

Bluetooth is a feature worth considering. It makes it simple to take a portable speaker outside. The fidelity of some tiny speakers is stunning.

Amazon product reviews are worth reading. I take some with a block of salt. -They may have been written by competitors. But Jay Allen has a great review of the Sangean DT-160 pocket radio. His site has reviews of many other individual models.
https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-dt...mini-portable/
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #43

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
If you plan to use your radio daily especially for long periods like listening to sporting events get one with big batteries. AA batteries won't last long.

Also, your trailer is filled with noise sources, devices that produce radio interference. Your converter, fan, even LED lights will all produce signals that will interfere with receiving over the air broadcasts. This is more likely to occur on AM but FM can be effected to. You might want to check your trailer to see how bad the noise is using a radio you already own. Raz

This is particularly true on older radios. Look for the FCC sticker on any electronic device you buy. Should be compliant with Part 15.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I had a built in stereo with DVD player in my Escape 19. While it worked great, it had too many limitations. All TV (if we ever watch) is handled through my laptop, streaming movies or playing DVDs, I also use my bluetooth speaker for the TV too, as the sound is a lot better.

What I like about my bluetooth speaker being separate, is that I can place it in the middle of a bunch of us, where everyone can enjoy the tunes, and still have control on me of what I am playing. Of course, when in a formal campground, it is brought near us so the sound level can be dropped so as not to bother anyone.

BTW, I am liking this thread, and getting lots of good ideas for a portable radio. Keep the good thoughts rollin'.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #45

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The world owes a huge thank you to Steve Jobs for his I-pod that essentially did change the world. No more boomboxes being carried around. Peace and quite in homes with teenagers and/or parents who like to listen to loud music that other people in the home don't want to hear.

I myself don't go camping with an audible to others music device. I don't even do that in the driveway or yard. It just seems rudely intrusive to do so when there is a better alternative. But a radio inside the RV would not be bad if you are not close to other people who might not want to hear what you are playing.
Well I'm not going to put the radio in my Casita. I'm going to put it outside where we can hear it. If you don't like it and you think it's rude think again. Welcome to the 21 century! RVs are now equipped with outdoor kitchens, outdoor TVs, outdoor XM radio and stereos. RVs have LED lighting and bright LED strips under the awnings. Tow vehicles now have very bright HID lights and are used at night while driving across the campsites. They also sell generators and some RVs even have them built in. I've had campsites that had a path next to it going to the bathroom with a lot of traffic. I've been next to campsites with family reunions and it was beautiful! I've been in campsites where there were several boy scout troops were camping and it was amazing! The boy scouts always responded with a yes sir and no sir and even opened the door for us. If you choose to put a radio in your camper and sit in it all day that's your choice.
Some people think the golden rule and camping edict pertains only to what they want and what they like. They're self centered and believe the whole world revolves around them. Some of those 10 year old boy scouts can teach some people about camping edict and respect.
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #46

Texas
AM/FM portable radio.

I decided to order the Sangean DT-400W radio. It's small and has great ratings. It also has a small speaker so not to disturb your neighbors. It also uses AA batteries. I carry several rechargeable AA batteries that I use in my flashlights, lantern and now my radio. Thanks everyone for all your great suggestions. I do apologize for some of the disrespectful comments some people made toward campers who use small radios and posted their suggestions.
Happy Camping everyone!
Marky
Old 08-04-2017, 04:27 AM   #47

Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Marky, I think you'll be happy with your choice. I like to slip that radio in my pocket when I walk the dog during a game I'm interested in or listen to a talk radio show. There is no need to apologize to me. The day I can't listen to a radio in a campground will be the day I quit using campgrounds. There is another thread running concerning CG Etiquette. It's all about consideration for your neighbors. You don't sound like the kind of person who would have a radio or any other noisy device blasting at your campsite. I know I don't! It seems like there's always someone who feels the need to lecture the rest of us. Please don't take it personally.

I failed to mention this earlier, but the weather warning feature in this radio has come in handy a few times for us. You go to sleep during a storm or tornado watch and if the storm or tornado develops; the radio will wake you up! It's better than staying up all night worrying about it. You can turn that feature off when the weather is ok to save the batteries.

Enjoy your radio, camping, and life in general.

TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:44 AM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
I do apologize for some of the disrespectful comments some people made toward campers who use small radios and posted their suggestions.
No need to apologize for those who choose not to be happy. Enjoy your radio, I am still deciding but will pull the pin soon too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-04-2017, 05:31 AM   #49

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The Sangean H-202 seems to fit the bill. A bit larger than I was hoping for, but has weather and bluetooth. 10 presets is plenty, as when travelling I tend to rely on the search feature most. I don't necessarily need the waterproof feature, but it couldn't hurt. My Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2 bluetooth speaker is waterproof too.

H202 : FM / AM / Weather Alert / Bluetooth<br>Waterproof / Shower Radio

On amazon.ca
https://www.amazon.ca/Sangean-Americ...luetooth+radio
Says it has a pigtail fm/wx antenna, any idea what that is?
Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Says it has a pigtail fm/wx antenna, any idea what that is?
If you look at the last picture on the link, it seems the handle turns in to the body and maybe houses the antenna?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #51

Texas
Thanks everyone, this means allot to me. I saw the other thread about campground etiquette. Someone on a pay site wrote some rules according to what they want and people actually believe it. Some campers are anti dogs, anti children, and anti boy scouts. I think it's great when families go camping and spend quality time together. The Boy and Girl Scouts are great organization that teach kids responsibility and respect. They take them out of their room and video game playing, take them to the great outdoors where they learn to camp and respect nature. Some campers are older and only have a dog as a companion.
The same people who complain about kids nowadays are the same ones who complain about families camping with kids. They probably hate themselves too. Life's too short and we should enjoy every moment of it. Happiness is a choice.
We attended the Bluebonnet Gathering this year and there were close to 250 trailers with most of them doubled up in the spaces. We were gathered outside talking having a great time when someone comes up to me to complain and asked me to turn off my light because they couldn't sleep and it was 10:00 already!!!
If you noticed the radio has a tiny speaker and I set the volume so we can only hear it from three feet away. Don't stop posting because of a few trolls. I hope to someday cross campfires with you. Thanks again for all of your great suggestions!
Happy Camping
Marky
Old 08-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #52

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
The main problem with AM/FM isn't the radio, it's the content. If you happen to be somewhere with a radio station to your liking, you're very lucky.

I've been a Sirius XM user for about a year. Definitely worth the subscription just for Deep Tracks.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #53

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought a small radio that does everything but the dishes Actually I bought it because of the multiple ways to charge the batteries. As a traveler, I think the weather frequency may be invaluable. It certainly doesn't have the best speakers, but the acoustics in my trailer or sitting outside under the awning AND my hearing are really bad anyway and this radio works well for me.

Midland Consumer Radio ER310 Emergency Solar Hand Crank AM/FM Digital Weather Radio
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #54

Michigan
I love this thread! This may be a little off-topic... I wanted to share a phone app or website for those with smart phones or wi-fi while camping. A fellow FGRV friend told me about an app that features thousands of Old Time Radio shows. Any genre you can imagine and very clear considering the age of the material. Every once in a while we're stuck in the camper, or just lounging at the campsite and turn it on. Sometimes we fall asleep at night listening to the shows. It also helps while away the time on long road trips. Great entertainment!

The app is 100% free, and uses very little data. Some of the genres featured include Adventure, Comedy, Detective, Drama, History, Kids shows, Music, Mystery, Sci-Fi-fi, Sports, Westerns, WW2, etc. Something for everybody. Each Genre has many different shows to pick from with many examples of each. Shows you listened to appear in a different color to help you remember which you've heard. Try it! The web site is Dumb.com and to find the app in your Apple App Store, search "dumb.com" as well. Not sure what it's called in an android device, but start there.

http://www.dumb.com/oldtimeradio/

TomK
Old 08-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #55

Registry
As far as weather goes, I get enough alerts on my phone. I can't see a need for them on the radio too.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #56

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
I sure miss listening to Art Bell and Paul Harvey. Are their old shows available on dumb.com?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #57

Michigan
Sadly they are not Lee. I miss Art Bell too. These shows are from the '30's to maybe early '60's?

TomK
Old 08-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #58

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As far as weather goes, I get enough alerts on my phone. I can't see a need for them on the radio too.
When I was in the Tetons last month, there was no cellphone coverage... zero. But we could pick up radio signals.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #59

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Thanks everyone, this means allot to me. I saw the other thread about campground etiquette. Someone on a pay site wrote some rules according to what they want and people actually believe it. Some campers are anti dogs, anti children, and anti boy scouts. I think it's great when families go camping and spend quality time together. The Boy and Girl Scouts are great organization that teach kids responsibility and respect. They take them out of their room and video game playing, take them to the great outdoors where they learn to camp and respect nature. Some campers are older and only have a dog as a companion.
The same people who complain about kids nowadays are the same ones who complain about families camping with kids. They probably hate themselves too. Life's too short and we should enjoy every moment of it. Happiness is a choice.

Marky

Marky,

I am with you on this, I camp allot at some of the noisiest campgrounds there are and I love it. Campgrounds with kids, skate boards, dogs and all types of groups from the Christians to the handicapped, from 10 to a hundred people. I love all of it. I wasn't lucky enough in my younger years to be able to enjoy camping adventures but picked it up as an adult on my own.

Everyone seems to see this as a negative but for me its a positive. Just to see good people interacting together allowing kids young and very old to just be free from the daily rules and regulations. By nature I am a very quiet person and I guess I see more of life through others being out of control than I could ever be myself. Sometimes when it gets out of hand I shove in some foam earplugs. Marky, I'd be glad to camp next to you.

For those who want peace and quiet all the time what the heck are you doing in a camp ground? Hit the road and go boondocking, where you can get all the peace and quiet you can stand.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I was in the Tetons last month, there was no cellphone coverage... zero. But we could pick up radio signals.
Ah, there is that.