amazing technology - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
amazing technology

got this in an email today. i cannot believe how technology is advancing!
perhaps one might find this a useful way to replicate original parts easily....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #2

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Yes

I received an email from a very good friend concerning this. Just so hard to imagine they have come this far.
Can you imagine the cost of that machine?
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #3

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Take a close look at the two wrenches. The original wrench has a cast-in loop on the handle end, four splines on the adjustment screw, and the profile of the indentation on the handle is square-ish. The "exact printed replica" has a D-ring loop on the handle end, three splines on the adjustment screw, and the indentation is round-ish. Something aint right...
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I think the video is a bit misleading in saying that the machine made an "exact duplicate" of the wrench. It's a plastic replica and I think the scan files have been tweaked quite a bit. The technology isn't at the level yet where you can feed in a ham sandwich expect to get something edible. However, these machines are used a lot now to make prototype parts and molds.

The cheapest kit I could find to make your own 3D printer was here for $1300:

MakerBot Thing-O-Matic 3D Printer Kit - MakerBot Industries

It seems like it would be useful for making hard-to-find parts on obsolete fiberglass trailers.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #5

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
I know that 3D printers exist, and are in use making individual parts. I very much doubt that they are able, in a single operation, to make a system of multi-colored, interconnected moving parts, as shown. I could be wrong, but I'm skeptical.

What fuels my skepticism is that they portrayed, in the video (source is implied to be National Geographic, but that could be faked) that they were "printing" an exact copy of the wrench. Ok, I can accept that they would tweak the scan files for effective forming in plastic, which might explain the thread-pitch of the adjustment nut. However, there would be no reason for them to change the profile of the handle, nor the hanging loop on the end. The plastic wrench has no more basis in the metal wrench than a ham sandwich has in a hamburger.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
In making prototypes there's a process similar, which I've used in the past. However, it only makes a single part. Assembly, I doubt. The prototype parts that I've had made are not very strong and used for fit only.
Nice try guys.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
In making prototypes there's a process similar, which I've used in the past. However, it only makes a single part. Assembly, I doubt. The prototype parts that I've had made are not very strong and used for fit only.
Nice try guys.
Exactly, it is good for modeling only, from CAD to 3D models is good but not for replacement parts. There is a very narrow scope of material which can be used. Just because it looks like the actual part it does not mean it will function as one.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Yes, we use these here but they are not for production.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Actually, we have seen these in action at technology conferences and training sessions designed to encourage their use in public schools. Terry, you can make camper-shaped cheese for your ham sandwich, even if you can't make the sandwich. I saw an airplane that was made from cheese done by one of these printers.

This technology can make parts from stuff that can be liquified. It is literally a printer and prints the parts in layers. I think it is a good solution for some spare parts, although the ones I have seen print smaller things.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote