American Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #15

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
As others have said, it makes sense that the one internet page is a place-holder.

I knew some internet sleuths here would uncover some more info. I just didn't know how long that page had been up, as to whether this was a promising new outfit or had been out there for donkey's years like the Burro website.

(Joke - donkey, burro; get it?)

Old 11-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Well the fact the name was trademarked only in September would indicate its pretty new.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #17

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Wow, I love all the windows.
Yes, though I do wonder where they will mount the cabinets. There doesnt seem to be much space left.

Derek
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #18

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I would love to see that photo become a real fiberglass RV at a campsite next to me! We can't have too many well crafted eggs out there plus opening a new business for a bunch of workers can only be a good thing!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
Looks nice, but despite the disclaimer in the small print, I dislike the re-use of the Boler name.
I'm with you- that's just not right.

I love the bit in the ever-so-faint print at the bottom of the page:

"In no way associated with the Canadian Boler"

R-i-i-i-i-ght- except that the purpose of using the Boler name is so that buyers will make that association!

If this was going on in China instead of Bend, Oregon, we'd be raising all kinds of H-e-double-pitchforks about it.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm with you- that's just not right.

I love the bit in the ever-so-faint print at the bottom of the page:

"In no way associated with the Canadian Boler"

R-i-i-i-i-ght- except that the purpose of using the Boler name is so that buyers will make that association!

If this was going on in China instead of Bend, Oregon, we'd be raising all kinds of H-e-double-pitchforks about it.

Francesca
Thanks Francesca for your concern for preserving the Boler name for your Canadian neighbors's but as your aware we have historically been pretty polite about others outside the county using the name. Suspect we would be equally polite about it if it was happening in China as they are our second largest trading partner.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Wasn't there an "American Boler" in the mid70's? Seems like I have seen a few of them listed hereabouts. If that company let the copyright on the name expire it is up for grabs. J

Just look at all of the electronics that suddenly started sprouting old American names, Packard-Bell being one of the first at least 20 years ago, with off brand computers.

And (unfortunately) don't count China out of the RV picture. There is a molded fiberglass coachbuilder in China that is looking for partners worldwide to mount their mini-motorhme coach on locally built chassis. I was contacted because they thought that I would want to build new ones on a Toyota chassis. Never forget, China claims that copying ones ideas is the most sincere form of flattery.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Wasn't there an "American Boler" in the mid70's?
Yes they were built for about eight months in the 1972 I believe. Somewhere here there is a history of all the names and places bolers where built.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
I believe that the other trailers using the Boler name in Canada or elsewhere were made under license to use the name or the design, etc. The issue here (as Francesca points out) is that this new entity has nothing to do with the original trailer but (despite the small print disclaimer) people may be mislead into believing that this unit is associated with the original Boler and its long standing reputation. Hence the disclaimers on the website.

My view (apart from the legal issues) is its a bit cheesy. The trailer looks great in the picture - why not give it a new and unique name to be proud of on its own, and avoid trading on the reputation of the original.

PS. Bob - I remember being very confused and then annoyed when those Packard Bell computers first came out. I first thought that they were a joint Hewlett Packard / Bell product and in those pre-www days, had to do much research to find out that there was no such association. Are they even still around?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Read the Packard-Bell story on Wikipedia, and name reuse confusion makes sense from a business stand point. In the late 80's I converted an entire tech pubs department from typesetting to word processing with about a dozen P-B computers, for about 1/3 the cost of IBM hardware.
Packard Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, getting ones nose bent about name reuse is understandable, especially if the quality isn't there. But just think, those in the know will expect old Boler quality and, if it isn't there, American Boler will soon go the way of American Suzuki (it just announced BK today). And, if it's even better than the old ones, it will pull the value of older ones up and they will become known as "Classic Bolers". While, using a known brand is a shortcut to name recognition, it is risky at best.

As long as another egg builder is coming down the pike it is good news, regardless of the name on the front.

To digress, we just bought a new Dutchman built Coleman CTE-171 hybrid camping trailer for our children and grandkids to use. Now Thor owns Dutchman, and Dutchman makes exactly the same trailers with both Coleman and Kodiak color schemes & badges on them. But Thor/Dutchman sells 4 times more with the Coleman name & logo on them simply because of name recognition and, unless you ask, most buyers would never know that Coleman, as the old camping gear company we all grew up with, is long gone, replaced with several manufacturers and marketing companies that license that name.

Some may remember the Coleman pop-up trailers, but most were built under license by Fleetwood.
It's just business in the 21st century.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
The issue here (as Francesca points out) is that this new entity has nothing to do with the original trailer but (despite the small print disclaimer) people may be mislead into believing that this unit is associated with the original Boler and its long standing reputation.
Exactly...and in my opinion, intentionally.

Why else use the name?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Why else use the name?
Name recognition/Marketing tool. As described in post #24 paragraph 2.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #27

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Wasn't there an "American Boler" in the mid70's? Seems like I have seen a few of them listed hereabouts. If that company let the copyright on the name expire it is up for grabs.
The original name for those built in the US under licence was 2 separate words in reverse order with different capitalization and logos. i.e. boler AMERICAN.

This appears to use all caps as one word AMERICANBOLER, the logo appears to be boler spelt out in a similar font to the original boler font, yet it is different. The American flag is also used to substitute the letter E.

The differences appear significant enough to me.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #28

Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
The original name for those built in the US under licence was 2 separate words in reverse order with different capitalization and logos. i.e. boler AMERICAN.

This appears to use all caps as one word AMERICANBOLER, the logo appears to be boler spelt out in a similar font to the original boler font, yet it is different. The American flag is also used to substitute the letter E.

The differences appear significant enough to me.
think that the new company will legally be able to use the Boler trademark, since there is no existing company to challenge it on the basis that it would cause confusion with an existing product. Whatever trademark or patent which may have existed would have expired long ago, and ownership of the name is not a copyright issue. However, I personally feel that it is a mistake to do so. Having owned a Boler and seen many others, they were largely hand made with the variable quality control and 1970s engineering that comes with it. I think that the new product is likely to be better constructed and of course more modern in its styling and accessories. Although the old Boler is cute when restored, my own opinion is that the new company would be better off with a name that, while it may evoke the old trailers, doesn’t associate itself too closely with them.

I know that Trillium in both Alberta and California have retained the name, but they both used the old trailers to make new moulds and are very close in style. The new Boler is different enough in style that it should have its own identity. Just my opinion.

Rick G.

Tags
boler