American Nomads - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
American Nomads

I found this kinda interesting... Would love to check out slab city one day

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Interesting watch. Language is rated R for Mature. Reminds me of years ago when I lived in Paradise,Texas and a guy from England contacted me. He was writing a book on all of the "Paradises" in the USA. So I took him around for a half day and showed him all of my Paradise. This guy fell in love with the US and came back to live. He became Nomadic in his quest and loved driving all around. I felt the same way after visiting England. Couldnt wait to get home and back to the wide open spaces. [the people were great but felt like I was living in NYC again]
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #3

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah I really liked it...Ive always had the urge to be a gypsy and hit the road with my caravan and travel. One day when i retire and my parent's have crossed over I think it would be a grand adventure. All the open land and places to go to and see. I think I could get to like living like that. Hopefully ParkLiner will make a little larger version with a closet on the back side of the axle so you have a place to pack your heavy "stuff" lol.

I do envy the people that do it with nothing, just a backpack and they go. I am addicted to my stuff, but 8 years of living on a 27 foot sailboat I learned less stuff is better... but always need some stuff!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #4

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
I miss George Carlin. Thanks for the link.
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Stuff

My adult / Military life
I started with 1 large Rucksack 2 duffle bags and all of my stuff fit in that. then added a pickup truck.. move to Germany 2 duffle bags 1 large ruck no truck in Germany I added a mountain bike. transfered to unit going to Desert Shield/ Storm. have to dump all my "stuff" that didn't fit in to 2 duffle bags, 1 large ruck. I stayed with that just replacing mountain bike and jeep pickup for the next 9 years. took truck and bike to Germany and said "stuff" that fit 2 duffle bags 1 large ruck. move back to the States. bought a house and then the pile of stuff happend. 11 or so years later dumped house and a bunch of stuff, down sized to 16 ft Scamp and storage. Close to my plan I had in 1987.. I should have stuck to "The Plan" of not too much stuff.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
OP, you may like the host, Richards book, Gods middle finger. I sure did. It's non fiction.
Richard Grant | Books by Richard Grant | Richard Grant | Writer and Journalist
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Deryk,
What a great documentary showing the history of US nomads while introducing us first-hand to those of today! Leave it to a "Brit" to uncover the wanderlust in us that we often take for granted. While many of us "eggers" lead a semi-nomadic life it is nothing compared to the hardships of those profiled in this documentary.

Slab City is not my idea of nomading. Give me the Sierras any day. Check out the episode on Slab City done by Huell Howser, recently deceased, of the TV series, California Gold. It may be showing on TV in your area soon or you may want to purchase a copy. Some public libraries have some copies in the series. Huell Howser Productions | California's Gold

Happy Camping,
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #8

New Jersey
Registry
Well Gilda, I wouldn't necesarily want to live in slab city full time, but aside from the hard core drug problem (crystal meth Ive read about) the pot smoking and drinking doesn't bother me at all... hangin with a bunch of folks, playing instruments around the fire sounds like most of my wekend camping trips lol. I would probably spend most of my time alone someplace quiet with water... but sometimes its nice to mix it up.

Like in the video I posted you get all types who wander nomadically...I think he was focusing on more of the "colourful" crazier ones. I know I could pack my ParkLiner up with almost all my important posessions and drive off and manage just fine...but Im sure any full timer has heard from people but how can you give up the big screen tv and ... Some people can do it, some couldn't.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Huell Howser donated all of his episodes to Chapman University and they are available for viewing on their website.

IMPO: After spending a few days at Slab City (almost on a dare I might add) the closest some might want to venture is: a) a day trip or, b) the afore mentioned video. An interesting place to visit, almost a bizzare place to live

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #10

New Jersey
Registry
Bob, it does look interesting. I saw a movie and they had some scenes of slab city with lots of hippies there too. Looks like it could be a fun spot. Im guessing people must be trucking in water for drinking and cooking.

Slab City- California's Gold (806) - Huell Howser Archives at Chapman University

Old 03-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I guess fun is in the eye of the beholder.

It looks like Hewel's visit to Slab City was a number of years back (1997?).

When I stoppd by there about two years ago it felt more like I was visiting the hillsides of Tijuana. (Meaning trashy, not ethnic)

But still, I know of a few peeps in the Toyota Motorhome group that have wintered over there.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Deryk: Are you referring to the movie or book "Into the Wild"? I'm not sure if they actually filmed at Slab City, but it's in the book. Will you end up in an old school bus in Alaska, or an old fiberglass camper maybe.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #13

New Jersey
Registry
Mary and Bob...yup that was the movie I was thinking about...haven't seen it in a while ... and no, definatly not in a bus... maybe a strawbale house with 2ft thick walls lol

Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Huel went back in 2009 for an update.

My last visit to Salvation Mountain
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Another perspective:
Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea
I have a copy of this documentary. I've also been to "The Slabs".