American Sport Trailer "Genesis" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Quote:
I must have misread the link. This trailer cannot weigh 2800 pounds dry can it? twelve feet?
I bet it does. Look at the pictures of the construction. Lots of steel in that frame. Sheets of plywood in the interior with wood braces. Large opening door on the back for the outdoor kitchen, I bet it weighs all of 2800#.

If I had wanted an outdoor kitchen, I would have purchased a teardrop style.

http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/

We couldn't tow it with our Subaru. We are restricted to 2000#. I'll keep our Trillium, 1450#.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Different strokes for different folks. That's what makes each brand of trailer desirable for each owner. I think the Genesis has some good ideas, but here in the Pacific NorthWET I don't want to HAVE to cook outside. But that's me and my circumstances for where I live. Others feel fortunate when they get rain! I'm just glad now we have someone on the forum that owns one and we get to hear about it

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Donna, Your just a wealth of information, And we all appreciate your guidance, even if you live in the Northwet. Hasn't sog'ed your ability you provide us with great links and info. Thanks again! Robin
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #18

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
I, personally, love the Genesis. I am a previous Scamp owner and current LittleGuy teardrop owner. To me, the Genesis blends the two -- it is sort of a super-teardrop. The drawbacks of teardrops are, primarily, no changing room and no bathroom. The outdoor kitchen is, to my way of thinking, only a problem if you frequently camp in very wet or very windy conditions. Something that Genesis might consider is making a tent-enclosure for the galley, to make cooking in the rain more pleasant.

We have a little out-house tent and a porta-pot that suits us fine, but there is no denying the attraction of a "real" bathroom. The Genesis has an unbelievably nice bathroom for such a small camper -- far, far, far, and let me say FAR better than what is offered in most of our egg campers.

If I were to tire of my teardrop (not likely anytime soon), I would very seriously consider the Genesis. Granted it is quite heavy, but it seems to be really well built, and I like that. With just a few exceptions, most SUVs and small pickups can handle the weight.

By the way, just as a comparison, my Scamp 13 Dlx (with fridge, air, bathroom, etc) weighed 1800 pounds. This trailer is a foot shorter and 1000 pounds heavier. That adds up to a lot of extra material! That also means it is a lot more solid. Compared to the Genesis, the Scamp frame is much lighter, the fiberglass is much thinner, and the interior is much more "basic". Not trying to talk down the Scamp at all (We loved ours!)-- just saying that the Genesis is a nice match for the "build it once" folks.

I would dearly love to see one in person.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Paul, I think the problem with the weight is, that most people who look for smaller travel trailers due so because their tow vehicle has towing weight limits. Of course there are people who have tow vehicles that can tow much more weight and prefer a smaller rig, but they tend to go for larger travel trailers for more room, more options etc. Thankfully the fiberglass world has such wonderful options in all sizes and styles. I just think it's great that their is a completely different option, though I don't think it's an option as well suited weight wise as some other brands. Now for those tall people who want a fiberglass trailer but say a scamp or casita don't work as well in the height department this would certainly be a great option. I got to remember that when people ask about height and an egg...................
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #20

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
Robin -- No question about it, 2800# is a lot of weight for a 12' trailer. And, for those for whom weight is a key consideration, the Genesis is probably not the best choice. I sold my 1800# Scamp because I wanted lighter weight -- I went to a 600# LittleGuy, and I can tow it with just about anything. The Genesis seems like the Cadillac of minimalism -- very small, but loaded, and built apparently to last forever. My point isn't that it is "better" than other brands, because the criteria for "better" varies for each person. I just think it is a great option for someone who wants small, comfortable and maneuverable, but isn't so concerned about weight. (Plus, the cooking odors and grease splatters stay outside!)
Old 05-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #21

Trailer: Genesis
Quote:
Robin -- No question about it, 2800# is a lot of weight for a 12' trailer. And, for those for whom weight is a key consideration, the Genesis is probably not the best choice. I sold my 1800# Scamp because I wanted lighter weight -- I went to a 600# LittleGuy, and I can tow it with just about anything. The Genesis seems like the Cadillac of minimalism -- very small, but loaded, and built apparently to last forever. My point isn't that it is "better" than other brands, because the criteria for "better" varies for each person. I just think it is a great option for someone who wants small, comfortable and maneuverable, but isn't so concerned about weight. (Plus, the cooking odors and grease splatters stay outside!)
Hi Paul, You are correct that the Genesis is very heavy for it's size but again, I have to say this is probably the most well built FGT for it's size and absolutely built to last. Folks have to remember that it is a sport trailer and built to endure the elements and ruggedness of different terrains. It has several steel skid plates on the bottom to protect the tanks etc. I pull this one with a V6 engine and have had absolutely 0 issues with the weight. I have also added a screen tent with solid drop downs around the kitchen area if it is needed for privacy etc but have not used it yet. I'm one of the lucky ones that don't have a lot of rain. I'm glad to hear you like the Genesis, I just can't say enough good about it and it was the right choice for my wife and me but everyone has their own requirements and needs. Thank you and everyone else for your comments and input.

Tags
genesis