An All Electric Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

I just noticed the EggCampers seem to be all electric, how feasible would being all electric be? Would you have to be going from one campground with electric to another? Seems a little limiting to me.

http://www.eggcamper.com/

Are they still in production? They looked good, like the full beds. No, window in the rear was a negative, too bad they didn't at least put two small one back there if not able to do a long one.

Anyone have one here?
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
They have a model that is all electric you can get Propane still. I believe they are still in production,
the fellow I bought my Burro from bought one this spring.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 AM   #3

Trailer: R-Vision
Quote:
I just noticed the EggCampers seem to be all electric, how feasible would being all electric be? Would you have to be going from one campground with electric to another? Seems a little limiting to me.
If you want to camp away from a power source, you'll need to haul a generator.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Adrian,

I have the electric version of the EggCamper. I can go a couple of days off grid before I have to charge the battery. I replaced the incandescent lighting with LEDs so, the biggest draw is the fridge, which is very efficient. When off grid, I bring along a small propane stove for cooking. However, without plugging in, I do miss setting up the coffee pot the night before and having it come on automatically in the morning. For longer off-grid stays, I bring along my Honda 2000i. Long range, I'm planning on solar and leaving the Honda at home.

Overall the camper is light weight, very roomy and I don't miss a rear window.

I believe that Jim Palmer will still build you a propane version.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

! Ron wrote, "the camper is light weight, very roomy," that was the impression I got from the pic's & floor plan on their web site. Is the bed a full in size or larger? It appears, but not stated, as far I saw, you can get a bed which is a bed all the time. Is this correct?
Thanks!

Adrian
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have only camped at electric. We have been able to go places that we would never have gone to before we bought our UHaul. We just like our luxuries, DVD, HDTV, air conditioning, computers, and even a chandelier made from a trouble light and beads . If we did not have the UHaul, I might be tempted by the electric Eggcamper. We do use propane to cook though, although mostly now, it is done outside.

CindyL
Old 09-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My only comment to something that is all electric and if you don't have the ability to recharge the batteries fully... like a generator. Is what would you do, if you CAN'T hookup and you absolutely need to use your trailer as a "shelter"? Such as those individuals that have used their trailers as homes away from homes during times of disaster. Would your food spoil and would you be able to stay warm and have cooked food?

Just thinking out loud here.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Adrian,

You have to keep in mind that the refridgerator is 12 volts and it has a 12 volt water pump. So if you are camping without utilities you will have lights, refrig, and water. I use a propane grill/ gridle/ burner outside if not raining. Having said that, I want all the LUXURIES , A/C, heat, hot water, tv, dvd, satalite radio, etc. so the all electric works for us. I think it simplifies the camping experience, and I don't have the worries of a propane leak in the unit.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
From another point of view, if you have a generator, then the camper wouldn't exactly be "all electric," since the generator would be powered by some other fuel.

I would think the only way "all electric" would be feasible would be if you plan to camp with electrical hookups all the time. I suppose you could have solar panels, but I don't think most people would be able to power all their appliances with them (you could, with a large enough array, don't get me wrong; or you could choose to ration your use of power). From reading here, it seems like there are a fair number of people who always camp with "shore power," so for them it seems feasible.

I find it to be a lot like boating, where it's best to have multiple sources of power (elec, LP, kerosene, etc), and appliances that are flexible. But that's just me and my style. I like to go places without shorepower, and I also like to stop enroute, at rest areas, Wal-Marts, or etc. where there are not plug-ins.

For emergency use, eating would not be as much of a concern to me as heat would (if in a cool climate). I would count on eating non-perishable foods (I'm used to no refrigeration, and it's amazing the number of foods we refrigerate that don't absolutely need it). Cooking would be nice, and would buoy the spirits, and one could use a camp stove (but of course that would not be electric).

To me, it seems to come down to how often you plan to use "shore power" electrical hook-ups, plain and simple. If 100% of the time, then all-electric is workable. If not 100% of the time, you either have to go without functions or introduce other fuel/power sources.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
Adrian,

, I do miss setting up the coffee pot the night before and having it come on automatically in the morning.
Ron
You mean you don't have to get up and put your feet on a cold floor to start the coffee?
Wow Luxury for sure.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #11

Registry
We replaced the stock matress (4" foam) with an innerspring mattress earlier this summer. The innerspring mattress was an inexpensive off the shelf full sized mattress from Mattress Giant. We have the layout with a permanent bed and small side dinette.

If you check out the modifications section of the forum, you can see photos of some of the mods that I've done to make use of spaces for storage.

Granted, that the way I camp is not "total electric" because, even when we have hookups, we cook outside, mostly with propane, although sometimes with a crock pot. Even off grid, I use the generator to charge the system. The fridge has a compressor, so it doesn't create cold like the 3-way units that are in propane trailers. The only time it's drawing from the battery is when the compressor runs, which this time of year isn't that often. Mid summer it cycles more often.

And to answer the other question; yes, coffee's ready in the morning, but I still have put my feet on the floor to go to the cupboard for a cup.

Ron
Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Frankly, some people don't care to boondock. So an all Electric Trailer would work for them. And honestly if you have been in one you would consider it! They are so much bigger than say my Casita but not sticky big, glass big! The only thing I don't care for is no bathroom door, just a curtain other than that they are a cool option for a glass buyer.

We all camp differently, so for those who only care to camp in full service campgrounds the EggCamper is a sweet option.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #13

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
These are always interesting conversations. My input would be: "It depends." The reality is that different people go camping in different places, like doing different things and use their trailers in very very different ways. All electric makes a lot of sense to me - but the campgrounds in this area of the country are NEARLY all ALL electric and we only use the trailer for family activities in the summer. Honestly, I'd have a hard time finding a camping site around here that DIDN'T have an electric hook-up. The youth-group sites don't, but you're not going to be setting up someplace like that.

Other people are using theirs in more remote locations and in parks without any electric or in serious emergencies. To them - the electric doesn't makes much sense.

It's no different than any other product (cars, cameras, grills) - there's no single item and set of features that is the best for everybody under all circumstances It's hopeless to look for one and arrogant to think you have it. Figure out what you want it for, how you'll use it, figure out the features you need and/or want and go from there.

Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #14

Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We bought an EggCamper from Jim Palmer this summer. The main reason we bought one is because they have four inches more head room and are eight inches wider than the 17' Casita or Scamp - this was important to me because I'm 6'4". My wife said the extra size, plus the all-white interior made the egg seem light and spacious - she said she felt like she was in a cave or a tunnel in the smaller units.

Jim said he hasn't sold a single propane camper all year! In our 43 years of marriage, my wife and I have only camped at established campgrounds that have had (at least) an electric connection, so all electric was a logical choice for us. We could always buy a small generator if we wanted to go off-grid for more than a couple of days, but don't envision that happening. Another consideration is if we ever head west from our home in Pensacola, we have to go through Mobile. The Mobile interstate tunnel doesn't allow any propane in it and we would have to go through the middle of town with our trailer. I don't know if all tunnels forbid propane, but Mobile is so close to us it's a consideration.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #16

Registry
Here's a view of the inside of the EggCamper. Very light and airy inside, even without the end windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Inside_3.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #17

Registry
And a view from the other end.
Attached Thumbnails
Inside_1.jpg  
Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #18

Registry
Hi Ray,

We've had our EggCamper for two summers now, and we love it. We're planning on attending the Sebring, FL rally in February 2010 with another EggCamper owner from Connectucut.

Ours is all electric, but we still cook outside in a screen room or under the awning with propane. It's very roomy and with the bed at the back, I think I prefer not having a rear window.

Ron
Old 10-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Hi Ray,

We've had our EggCamper for two summers now, and we love it. We're planning on attending the Sebring, FL rally in February 2010 with another EggCamper owner from Connectucut.

Ours is all electric, but we still cook outside in a screen room or under the awning with propane. It's very roomy and with the bed at the back, I think I prefer not having a rear window.

Ron

Hi Ron F & Ray N. Thanks for your replies.

I had a long conversation with Jim at the beginning of the summer. The Egg Camper is on my short list for a number of reasons. It is light and airy inside and competitively priced.

Jim will build a propane version, but is very high on the all electric. So much so that you almost have to talk him into letting you purchase the propane version. He feels all electric is safer than propane, and as most dry campers will own a generator, propane is not needed.

Jim will charge several hundred $$$ more for the Propane version due to increased costs to accommodate for the propane.

However, I will be dry camping a great deal - for maybe 7 - 10 days at a time. Most of my trips will be during the winter months in Northern California. And the lack of propane does concern me. Based on your experience, if you knew that you were going to dry camp for several days at a time, would you still order the all electric version?

What is the heater like?

As an aside, I'm also a little disappointed that Jim does not wire the trailer for solar.

The other thing that I am worried about is the small refrigerator. I would like a lager freezer for frozen dinners.

What is your experience with the fridge?

Also, several Egg Camper owners previously posted that they had water leaks in the rear of their campers around the vertical running lights. Was that problem fixed by the manufacturers?

One more thing ... I do like the idea of the extra width. But ... how does the extra width and height affect gas milage on your tow vehicle? Do you have a comparison with Casita & Scamp for gas milage?

You continued input is much appreciated.

JMP

Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Jim will build a propane version, but is very high on the all electric. So much so that you almost have to talk him into letting you purchase the propane version. He feels all electric is safer than propane, and as most dry campers will own a generator, propane is not needed.
When I read this, the thought comes to mind the perhaps one cannot (or will not want to) always run a generator when boondocking or dry camping? I'm thinking of the noise factor, mostly. What if you cannot run it all night, yet you still want to have a refrigerator/freezer or furnace running? Aren't there noise rules and or considerations? These things are silent to the rest of the world when run on propane.

Another thing I do not know about (but of course it would be possible to research), is how much energy you can store in the form of gasoline or diesel (for a generator) vs. in your typical pair of propane tanks. Is it comparable?

Each person has to decide what they are comfortable with, but I don't understand the "special" fear of propane, as compared to gasoline, electricity, or driving at 65 mph. They can all be deadly if one is not careful. Assuming that most small eggs use a gasoline generator.... there's nothing particularly safe and cozy about gasoline, if you have a problem.

None of this is to say that an individual should use any fuel (electricity, gasoline, or propane) that they are not comfortable with, of course.

Raya