An Amerigo Flamingo? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2017, 02:22 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
An Amerigo Flamingo?

So, I eventually got the title from the previous owner of the 1973 Amerigo 16F. Nice guy to send it after finding it. Anyways, looking it over, I don't see Amerigo at all on the paper. Under the model name is 'Flamingo'. It's the same thing on the bill of sale that was included too.

At this point I'm basically doing:
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	114472

After verifying the numbers where I am storing the trailer, it is undeniable that the title is correctly flawed.

As much as I can figure, someone went to the DMV here in Utah, told them it was a 1973 Flamingo, or something to that effect, and paid money for it to be put into the system. I think it was meant to be a play on words, an Amerigo Flamingo.

Owner, "they both end in 'go'! Cut me some slack!" <---Joke, owner didn't say that at all.

So, I have no clue if I will need to eventually fix the mistake or leave it. Might just furnish and paint the whole thing in bright, flaming pink with a couple of those flamingo yard ornaments duct taped to the sides.

First hilarious thing so far in the trailer rebuild. Many more to come, maybe.
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
It is a 44 yr old trailer, closing in on 45. It is hard to imagine it matters. What matters is that you have a title. I wonder if it becomes more valuable as a one of a kind?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
agree

tom I agree with you let the sleeping dog alone!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Wink

It's very valuable like a miss struck coin. Unique!! You are probably a rich man. Good luck...
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Having purchased , licensed , and titled several trailers over the years ( in three different states ) I can assure you the average department of motor vehicles probably can't tell the difference between a fiberglass trailer and an actual Flamingo ! Trying to make a correction would probably unnecessarily open a giant keg of worms . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
funny

I was in the dmv one time both trailers came up at the same time. I knew new a sherrifs deputy who was in there for a license he asked why I was buying 2?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

Name: Stephen
Trailer: NotYet
Ohio
Amerigo Flamingo

Ya' might give a call to your insurance person.

The acutuaries that work for insurance companies can be very narrow minded to names that don't fit their forms.

Usually, if the drop down box doesn't have the name as provided by the system you don't exist.

If the actuaries can find a reason to say claim denied you will enter into the land of "sucks to be you" and we're sorry there is nothing we can do.

They have paid people to review the cost basis for each applicable item.

If you want to change "anything" it may cost you a little extra coin to create a new name .

I really would make sure the insurance "company" not your insurance "agent" is on-board. The "company" is the Great Oz in the Emerald City that will be instructing your agent to deny coverage. Unless your agent has deep pockets and will write you a check that will cash at the bank.

An ounce (penny) worth of prevention is worth a Pound (large denomination dollars) of cure!!!!
apfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #8

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Your "unique" trailer title

I also agree that trying to change the title is not worth the probable worms. If needed, you may be able to establish the true heritage of the Flamingo for any future buyer with photo comparisons, and a VIN, if there is one.

as you noted, the previous owner seems like an honest guy, since he went to the trouble of sending you the missing title when he found it. I'm wondering if you've contacted him to find out he knows where the "Flamingo" name originated. There could be an even funnier story to add to this conversation.

Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
tom I agree with you let the sleeping dog alone!!

bob
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
As long as the serial #'s match the title I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Maybe during a previous owners attempt to title it they used a voice to text app on their phone & it came up with the flamingo name?
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

Denver, CO
I can't recall an insurance company wanting to see a title. Tell them it is a '73 Amerigo, give them the VIN, & they will be fine. They will run the VIN#.

Remember, you are not deceiving anybody. Something easy to do: Capture as many Amerigo pics as you can, and archive them should you need them.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Ask for a supervisor if it gets bogged down. Simply explain that somewhere in the past, someone erred, Make: Amerigo Model: Flamingo.

Just tell 'em that's how it should read.

You'll be surprised how accommodating they can be on "interesting old stuff" !
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Our 73 amerigo says, "ACE" under make.

Hadn't noticed that before.

What the heck?

Thanks for the update on yours.

BEST
Kai
Old 12-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #13

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Our 73 amerigo says, "ACE" under make.

Hadn't noticed that before.

What the heck?

Thanks for the update on yours.

BEST
Kai
That's weird. "ACE" belongs to "Ace Trailer of America" according to the make charts I've found online. Amerigo's make code is supposed to be "AMES". But with trailer makes coming and going over the years, who knows.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...yskKYmvDz8amdL
Old 12-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #14

Registry
rbryan,

That is a super list you found!
To change, or not to change?
That is the question.
Whetner 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous bureaucracy
Or to oppose them, and by opposing,
Stick your neck out and perhaps suffer more slings and arrows of new fees and regulations and risk yet more mistakes...
That is, indeed, the question!

BEST
Kai
Old 12-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #15

Denver, CO
Life is short. No one on their deathbed said they wished they had spent more time at work, or the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Instead of spending an hour at the DMV, spend the hour instead in your Amerigo by ACE, err, I mean AMES. It does not matter.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
OP, got any pics? Is it really an Amerigo or one of the other brands such as Liberty Van Companion which used the Amerigo mold?
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #17

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
OP, got any pics? Is it really an Amerigo or one of the other brands such as Liberty Van Companion which used the Amerigo mold?
I'll do one better, bud! I got a video here:

I also have the original sales receipt that says that it is a 1973 Amerigo 16F. It helped a lot to identify considering that the whole inside has been gutted save the fiberglass false roof.

The numbers and year on the title match up, just the name doesn't. I thought it would be funny to share my amusement that the make is "flamingo".
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think a small pink flamingo decal somewhere on the finished trailer would be appropriate as a private joke.

If the original sales receipt has the VIN as well as the correct make and model, you just might be able to convince a motor vehicle agent to rectify the error. But as the old dog warned the young pup, "Son, you can kill a skunk, but it may not be worth the stink."

I recently had to obtain a replacement title for an old utility trailer owned by a non-profit corporation I run. Despite having paperwork showing my legitimate interest in the trailer, the agent had a way of making me feel like I was trying to get away with something illegal. After several minutes of interrogation, she took my papers to an unseen but apparently omnipotent supervisor in the back room. After several more anxious minutes in which I felt like every eye in the room was on me, she returned and unbent. In no time at all I walked out, title in hand and feeling a desire to take a hot shower.

Lots of work ahead on that Amerigo... errr... Flamingo!!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #19

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We experienced a similar problem when we bought our Scamp. The serial number stamped on the frame didn't match the registration year on the title. I researched the corrected information and printed everything out and took it to the DMV and they changed the registration year on the title without any problem or questions.

It never occurred to me that making the changes to the registration and title would be an issue.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #20

Registry
A Few Photos of Putative Amerigo

Interesting question, is it really an amerigo? Or a knock-off?

It says amerigo on the outside now as we had new logos made.

This was the brown trailer for sale here on FGRV fall of 2015; nothing of the original surface was left. (Note the color in the leaves in the 1st pic. That was a PRETTY autumn!)

The paperwork from the previous seller said "amerig"...and we were helped by someone here to find the previous, previous owner (I think it was SteveV) who also identified it as an amerigo, so I'm thinking it's probably an amerigo.

Here are some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
1A 2 In our driveway October 2015.jpg   Peanut 8 2016 C.jpg  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 038.JPG   Peanut 8 2016 E.jpg  

Tags
amerigo