An update from Lil Snoozy Land - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #41

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Surge brakes would be undesirable for a cargo carrier because the weight changes constantly.
That is exactly why I think that surge brakes are good for cargo trailers.

If you use conventional electric brakes, and set the controller to produce the right amount of braking for a given trailer load, it will be wrong for every other load. If you set it for the empty trailer, then double the trailer weight with cargo, the controller will put out the same power for the same rate of deceleration, even though the trailer needs twice as much braking - it will be inadequate. If you set it for the loaded trailer, then halve the trailer weight by leaving out the argo, the controller will put out twice as much power as needed, which will be jerky and may lock up trailer tires.

With surge brakes, the braking force applied is not directly related to deceleration; it is directly related to the force of the trailer pushing against the tug. The proportion of coupler force to braking force is a constant, determined by the sizes of components of the braking system. If the system is properly balanced for the empty trailer, and you double the weight of the trailer and decelerate at the same rate, the system will find a balance in which the force on the coupler/actuator will be twice as high so the hydraulic pressure is twice as high and the trailer braking will be twice as strong. The pushing on the coupler against the tug's ball is small compared to the braking force of the surge-activated system, just as the force you apply to your motor vehicle's brake pedal is small compared to the amount of braking force which results - even without power-assisted brakes.

Quote:
It would seem simple enough to delete the surge unit and add a 7 pin plug, so a controller in the tow vehicle could apply the brakes instead of an inertia device.
The changes would be
  • substitute plain coupler for surge actuator coupler
  • substitute electric brake assemblies for hydraulic calipers and brackets
  • substitute hub/drums for hub/disks or separate hubs and disks
  • substitute brake wiring and breakaway switch for hydraulic plumbing
I hope the Snoozy comes with a 7-pin - at least in camping versions - to include a power line for charging the trailer's battery from the tug while driving. It's possible that it has only a 4-pin, and in that case there would be a few dollars of connector and cable upgrade.

While these would be custom changes, the actual cost of components would be less in each case, so the change should reduce the price, or at least not increase it (even if an upgrade to 7-pin is required). One caution - if the trailer is not to have a battery, then a breakaway battery would be required as well. Electric is cheaper on the trailer in part because the controller is not included, and in part because the electric approach avoids most of the mechanical components and hydraulic seals.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #42

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have towed a utility trailer with surge brakes in the past. With a 3000 lb machine loaded, it was fine. Unloaded, the tires locked up every time the brakes were actuated. I never want such a system again, I have no way to stop the skidding and wear on the tires! With electric brakes, it's a simple matter to reach over and adjust the dial a couple of clicks to lessen the force when the trailer load is lightened. I do it all the time.

I think the easy way would be if Nicholas ordered in a different axle with electric drum brakes. Wiring in a small breakaway battery and a 7 pin plug should be pretty simple.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #43

Quote:
I have towed a utility trailer with surge brakes in the past. With a 3000 lb machine loaded, it was fine. Unloaded, the tires locked up every time the brakes were actuated. I never want such a system again...
I don't blame you, Mike, but that just sounds like a poorly configured brake system. In a way I'm not surprised, since surge brake components seem to be sold with none of the information needed to properly balance the system. Correctly configured the system is fundamentally good, but there's no way to fix a bad setup by just turning a calibration knob.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I hope I never need to apply trailer brakes only, as a way to stop trailer sway. But it remains a valuable safety tool to have if ever needed. I am sure that no one who ever encountered uncontrollable oscillation and ended up jackknifed, ever thought it would happen to them. And I know about proper trailer loading to maintain appropriate hitch weight. Yet I still desire that extra safety tool.

And as has been pointed out in another thread, what happens when the tow vehicle is headed down a steep grade? Will the surge brakes remain applied much of the way down, and overheat?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #45

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm surprised to hear that there are folks out there that have never used the manual control knob for sway prevention/control.

It's certainly come in handy for me many times, especially for such out-of-one's-control events as passing semis etc. And there are other times when its "anchor" effect is much appreciated, too.

Each to his own style, I guess.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've never experienced sway, passing or being passed by a semi or in cross winds.

In days of yore, when I towed a tent trailer with a Subaru wagon, I once had the trailer try to overtake the tow in a curve on a gravel road. I just stomped on the gas and pulled away.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

In days of yore, when I towed a tent trailer with a Subaru wagon, I once had the trailer try to overtake the tow in a curve on a gravel road. I just stomped on the gas and pulled away.
Same effect as using the manual knob, with the added element-of-danger thrill!

Both methods create opposing force at the ball that will pull the trailer into line, but for my part I prefer slowing the trailer to accelerating the tug.

Francesca
Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm surprised to hear that there are folks out there that have never used the manual control knob for sway prevention/control.

It's certainly come in handy for me many times, especially for such out-of-one's-control events as passing semis etc. And there are other times when its "anchor" effect is much appreciated, too.

Each to his own style, I guess.
I respectfully suggest that's not a difference in style, it's a difference in stability of the tug/trailer rig. I have not used the brake controller manually because there has been no reason to do so, not because I have been unwilling. I went to some effort to mount the controller in a way which ensures that I have easy access, in part to make this operation possible.

I continue to be amazed by the degree of concern that people have with passing trucks, since passing them even with a substantial crosswind has never been a problem for the Sienna and Boler. If I had to grab the manual brake control every time a gust of wind hit the trailer, I would fix the trailer, or get a more capable tug... or give up on whole idea of towing. I should note at this point that I have not towed with a short-wheelbase SUV or car, just the Sienna, compact and full-sized pickup trucks, and full-sized vans.

If I bought a Lil Snoozy with surge brakes and found that I missed the ability to hit the trailer brakes to control sway, I would be very disappointed. From what I have read about this trailer, I would not expect such disappointment.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #49

Quote:
And as has been pointed out in another thread, what happens when the tow vehicle is headed down a steep grade? Will the surge brakes remain applied much of the way down, and overheat?
As I said in that other thread, our Boler usually seems to be an anchor pulling on the Sienna on highway downgrades, but of course on steeper slopes and when needing to maintain a lower speed, something needs to hold the rig back.

Yes, if the tug is pushing back on the trailer, the surge brakes should be dragging. I do see this as a potential issue, although the rest of the world doesn't seem to have a big problem with it. I towed the U-Haul cargo trailer which I rented across the Rockies and did not notice a brake overheating problem with it, but then I don't recall how much engine braking I needed, and the thing probably had worn out brakes which might not have engaged under light application anyway... it was, after all, a rental.

For those looking for the technical solution to all problems, I note that the Snoozy has disks. Disk surge brakes require a cutoff solenoid valve, triggered by the backup lights, as a way of disabling the trailer brakes when the trailer is pushed backward by driving in reverse. An additional relay and connection to the brake lights could be used to block the surge brakes whenever the brake lights are not on, but that would be most of the time so the solenoid valve would need to be rated for continuous duty. The same approach could be used with drum surge brakes, although a drum-brake trailer would not already typically have the solenoid valve in the system (they use free-backing brake systems).
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I hope the Snoozy comes with a 7-pin - at least in camping versions - to include a power line for charging the trailer's battery from the tug while driving. It's possible that it has only a 4-pin, and in that case there would be a few dollars of connector and cable upgrade.
As the discussion has continued, I looked up an earlier discussion regarding the surge brakes, and came across this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Got a lickety-split reply from Nicholas at Lil Snoozy about the brakes...
"The brakes on the trailer are surge brakes with a back-up override. When you connect your lights to the tow vehicle, you usually have a 4 pin connector. In the Snoozy we use a 5 pin (same flat plug just with one extra pin). This extra pin is the brake lock out, if wired into the reverse lights of the tow vehicle. Your same 4 pin plug will work but you will not have the brake lock.
Yes, when I wrote my 4-pin comment above I was forgetting about the brake reverse lockout. So... 5-pin is stock so no provision for charging the trailer's battery from the tug, and an upgrade (to 7-pin would be the normal choice) would be needed for electric brakes. This may have changed - the above quote is from July 2011.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #51

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I've just e-mailed Alan about the Snoozy plug-in.
I will get back to everyone on this. My tow has the 7-pin so if they are using the 4 or 5,
I will need an adaptor. I have one for the 4 for my jon boat trailer.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #52

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As I said in that other thread, our Boler usually seems to be an anchor pulling on the Sienna on highway downgrades, but of course on steeper slopes and when needing to maintain a lower speed, something needs to hold the rig back.
I don't understand the "anchor" part of that statement- how/why does the Boler pull against the Sienna on downgrades?

Francesca
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #53

NE Oklahoma
Got a return email from Alan at Lil Snoozy.
The Snoozy takes the 4-pin flat plug like any boat or utility trailer.

That does raise the question of the brake solenoid.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #54

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Got a return email from Alan at Lil Snoozy.
The Snoozy takes the 4-pin flat plug like any boat or utility trailer.

That does raise the question of the brake solenoid.

That's strange- some time ago I wrote Snoozy and asked if the trailer came equipped with an override for the surge brakes to prevent their locking up while backing, and here's the reply I got:

(Here quoting from my post, # 26 in this thread. )

Nicholas responded by E-mail:
Quote:

"The brakes on the trailer are surge brakes with a back-up override. When you connect your lights to the tow vehicle, you usually have a 4 pin connector. In the Snoozy we use a 5 pin (same flat plug just with one extra pin). This extra pin is the brake lock out, if wired into the reverse lights of the tow vehicle. Your same 4 pin plug will work but you will not have the brake lock."

So- what's the deal? Have they changed to four pin or what????

Francesca
Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #55

NE Oklahoma
I was wondering if he just wasn't thinking or changed systems some how.
I was in Walmart earlier today and found an adaptor with the 4 and the 5 adaptor.
So, I guess I will purchase one just in case. Then I can keep my other adaptors in
my other vehicles.

This was the response:

Yes Carl, a 7 pin round to a 4 pin flat just like on a boat or cargo
trailer.

Alan
Old 03-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #56

Registry
Well, I'd sure like to know which it is- it must be a nuisance to have to unplug the trailer if you want to back it up an incline!

What do you think about the lack of the vehicle-to-trailer battery charging line? I do a lot of no-hookups road trips, and can't imagine doing so without the car charging the trailer battery- especially if I had an all-electric trailer like the Snoozy.

Francesca
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #57

NE Oklahoma
I'm thinking Alan may have been cross-thinking on the plug.

Bama had his upgraded in Texas to have it charging while in tow.
I don't think it will be a problem for me but I will eventually get the upgrade because it would be nice to know the battery would always be fully charged. If I had thought I would probably had it wired at the factory.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #58

Registry
Maybe it's not too late to have it changed at the factory- the trailer wiring component is a lot simpler than that for the tow vehicle, and it sounds like yours already has that.

Francesca
Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #59

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is a post moving beyond brakes... I just have a question. Looking at the generator box in the picture below... is Lil Snoozy offering gel coat in something other than beige... like white?
Click image for larger version

Name:	White.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	56611

I'm thinking that would be a better option in color for some... OR... maybe I missed that announcement
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #60

NE Oklahoma
As far as I know, it's a one color fits all.......................lol.

I recall last year someone wanted theirs painted red to match their tow.
Seemed there was some difficulty getting anyone to do it and they didn't want to wait any longer than they did to start camping. One buyer had the graphics color changed to yellow to match their tow and it looked pretty good.

http://lilsnoozyclub-com.webs.com/ap...toid=171896782