An update from Lil Snoozy Land - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #81

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
Since all mention and photos of disc brakes originally shown on their website have been removed, I'm guessing they have switched to free backing drums.
I agree that seems most plausible.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #82

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I'm wondering how going from disc brakes to drum brakes can be considered "less maintenance?" Technology changes everyday, but now we're in the dark again.....lol
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #83

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If the changeover you refer to, Carl, is that evidently made by Snoozy, it may be that the reason for the change is due to the backing lockup problems inherent to surge-type brakes. Surge brakes are more commonly used on boat trailers, perhaps because most of the backing is down ramps! Not so with campers...

Maybe the (electric) disc brake override first supplied proved too burdensome for customers (tug wiring), so they switched to drums with the "freebacking" feature. Though why they don't just throw in the towel and put regular electric brakes on like everyone else is a mystery. (And a standard 7 pin connector with a charging line while they're at it.)

One rationale I can think of for sticking with a four-pin/surge brakes setup is that Snoozy may hope to get into the rental market, in which it would be more practical for the widest variety of potential renters.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #84

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I wish I knew about one of these models a few years ago. I may have chosen it over my Scamp just so I could transport my 4 wheeler too. I'd have to have propane stove, heat and fridge though. As side note: They seem willing to adjust the configurations of their models. The brakes should not be that much to change in cost or set up. If I had the time I could do that in a day with the parts. Surge brakes suck. I'd not use them on my own stuff.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #85

NE Oklahoma
Hi Darrell, if you're talking about the Snoozy, they are very willing to give the customer what they want. Like pre-plumbing for propane.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #86

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Thats what I was thinking... but a few years too late for me to jump on one right now. I just getting my Scamp the way I want it.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I'm wondering how going from disc brakes to drum brakes can be considered "less maintenance?" Technology changes everyday, but now we're in the dark again.....lol
I agree - I really dislike drums; disks are much easier to work with.

The usual drum brake for a trailer or the rear axle axle of a motor vehicle works the same in either direction, and self-energizes (the shoe jams into the drum so not as much application effort is required). Before power assisted master cylinders and front disks, the drum brakes used on front axles were essentially the "one way" design now used only as free-backing surge brakes. A clever solution to the backing problem, but certainly an old technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Surge brakes are more commonly used on boat trailers, perhaps because most of the backing is down ramps! Not so with campers...
Boat trailers use surge brakes to avoid wiring to the brakes, which get routinely dunked. I don't know why it's such a big concern: the lights still get dunked.

Disk brakes are better for getting wet than drums, and surge is the more reasonably-priced way to run them.

While travel trailers get backed up almost as much as boat trailers, it seems to me that the boats could actually use braking in reverse. Immersion in water, of course, should not be a concern for travel trailers.

Quote:
One rationale I can think of for sticking with a four-pin/surge brakes setup is that Snoozy may hope to get into the rental market, in which it would be more practical for the widest variety of potential renters.
Sure, surge is good for rental, and rentals should not require the electric lockout required by disks, by why build retail consumer units to suit rental use?

It makes more sense to me that the Snoozy has surge brakes for one of these reasons:
  • no controller or adjustment needed (and now no wiring at all)
  • a unique product feature
  • just the default for the chassis supplier, who normally supplies boat trailers
Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #88

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Lights on my boat trailer worked similar to a overturned water-glass. Top was sealed, so air prevented water from entering the light.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Lights on my boat trailer worked similar to a overturned water-glass. Top was sealed, so air prevented water from entering the light.
That makes sense, and of course wouldn't apply to the brakes. On the other hand, the brake magnets would work fine underwater - it is only the wiring connections that are an issue. Is one splice per side so hard to make waterproof? Still, submerged electrical gear is apparently a concern for boat trailers.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #90

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I'm very close to ordering one for cargo, I think. Just waiting for Alan to get back to me with answers on some details.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #91

Carl just posted a photo of his wheels in the Aftermarket Wheels.. "Let's See Em " thread - note the clearly visible drum brakes.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #92

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Carl just posted a photo of his wheels in the Aftermarket Wheels.. "Let's See Em " thread - note the clearly visible drum brakes.
Right...........Snoozy has switched back to the "drum" brakes for the surge brake system. You can back it up without any extra solenoid, etc. Standard 7-to-4 plug used now.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #93

Registry
You mean the Snoozy comes with just a 4-flat trailer lights connection- right, Carl?

Francesca
Old 04-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #94

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
You mean the Snoozy comes with just a 4-flat trailer lights connection- right, Carl?

Francesca
Yep............................
Old 04-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #95

NE Oklahoma
I went out and took a picture of it so there will be evidence........LOL

I'll post it once I get it uploaded.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #96

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Carl, I didn't know Alan and Nicholas switched back to drums. My disc brakes actually work quite well even though I had a faulty solenoid when I first got our trailer. Alan had me take it to a local repair service near my home for repair and picked up the bill for repair. I like the discs, but have looked into conversion kits to go from surge to electric the first time I have to do any serious brake work. I like the idea of being able to activate my trailer brakes independently with electrics in the event of my tug hydroplaning.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #97

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Carl, I didn't know Alan and Nicholas switched back to drums.
The saga of which-is-it per Snoozy brakes happened in another recent thread, Bill...none of us knew the switch had been made, either!

Nobody seems to be sure why the change was made, unless it had to do with the disc-surge-brake backup problem. It seems that newer units like Carls' have freebacking brakes that require no override for backing, as your discs presumably do...

How has that worked out for you? Did you wire up a fifth pin for an override, as earlier info from Snoozy indicated was required?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 04-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #98

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I went out and took a picture of it so there will be evidence........LOL

I'll post it once I get it uploaded.
Carl I changed mine to a 7 pin and rewired to allow charging while you drive also put in a converter w/ charger . no issuers with my disk brakes
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #99

Registry
Hey, Herschel!

Do you have the disc or the drum brakes, and if the former, do you have the "override switch" wired in for backing up?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 04-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #100

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Disc the "override switch" is wired in for backing up I have put 10 to 12 thousand miles on it no issuers as yet