And I think state park camping is expensive - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #21

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
The WA and OR reservation fee is $8 per reservation (not night)...if you reserve online...about the same if you phone for a reservation. I'm pretty sure you don't have to have an extra pass if you are paying to camp. We've never had to, although we do have a lifetime senior pass, but we really don't deploy it. But if you're just passing by and want to stop for a half hour and eat a lunch you brought, that'll cost you. If they catch you. And if they do, they might just mail you a bill, rather than confront you. So you won't even necessarily know if you're paying for a brief one-time use. We got caught once, pre-senior pass, and they sent us such a bill.

Yes, I paid it. Next time we just wanted to stop a moment, we stopped in a rest area. As far as I know so far, you don't get charged for driving through the campground, particularly if a ranger is around and you just roll down your window and tell them you're on a reconnaissance mission.

Those yurts--anyone been inside? We haven't. Some of them have restrooms, most of them don't, as far as I can find out.

kai
Old 07-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Camping in NYC ??? You gotta be kidding !!!
First fact of life: everything in NYC costs more than it is worth.

You might try a week at Button Bay State Park on Lake Champlain in Vermont.

Another spot is one of the 300+Spacious lakefront campsites at Fish Creek Ponds in the Saranac Lakes region of the Adirondacks in upstate New York.
campadk.com.

Just a few of the real Campgrounds that are part of the state Campgrounds in Vermont and New York State.....note: the real New York starts north of Albany New York.

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Perfect!

So,, 50 miles south of Malta, Montana in the middle of everywhere is Buffalo Camp. 15 bucks includes electric. Buffalo may graze through the campground and the sun will shine and the wind will blow on the American Prarie Reserve.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I read the article and I like the whole thing; particularly the fact that people are going and trying out something new. Everyone has to start somewhere; I car-camped in local parks with my family, then later went on to backpacking.

Now I am what our scoutmaster disdainfully called a 'turtleback'; a term specifically applied to cab-over campers, but also less discriminately directed at every other form of RV on the road.

In fact, given the investment we have made here, it's going to be quite some time before our 'cost per night' even begins to descend from the stratosphere. So, $850 a night - ? - that actually sounds like something of a bargain if I add everything up and divide it by our actual nights of use.

Heck, I'm looking forward to getting it down to $1,000 per night, just for starters.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
All this expensive camping is why I love my senior card. Unbelievable to stay at Yosemite or Grand Canyon with free entry and $9. per night. Then go to Bristlecone Pines and only pay a "suggested" 5. per night (entrance is free for everyone). Or go out onto BLM land and pay nothing to stay as long as you like, or 30 days if they happen to notice. Using BLM areas opens up Saline Valley hot springs, the forest around Yosemite, Quartzsite, Valley of the Gods and so much more.

A couple of nights in Valley of the Gods was stunning. And free.

We recently came back across from Florida to Nevada and enjoyed the Texas "picnic Areas". No charge and no, or few trucks. One, on the way down to Big Bend we had to ourselves and was absolutely beautiful. Even had cell service 25 miles from town! We could have stayed for days and nobody would have noticed or cared. Then Big Bend welcomed us in for no charge and we stayed in the vacant camp host spot, with full hookups, for 7. per night.

In Florence Alabama, right on the Tennesse River, in a beautiful and historic park with fabulous ammenties, we had the place mostly to ourselves for $20. a night with full hookups, showers and laundry. Incredible music history and Helen Kellers home/museum were right on the other side of the river in Muscle Shoals. I began to wonder if I really wanted to leave.

I'm concerned at how expensive a lot of places are getting, but there are a lot of places that are very nice for little or nothing.

Also, having a small trailer means a lot more opportunities. Grand Canyon asked what size the trailer was and was limiting them to 22'. Fortunately, I reported the length without the tongue. Hmmmm, isn't that what you're supposed to do? Same thing happened at the Mobile Bay Ferry, in Alabama The websire lists the maximum length as 28' IIRC, but when we arrived the limit was 22' Amazing how that was exactly our length!! That is, unless you consult Oliver.

Yosemite is so tight between the big trees and sharp corners that big motorhomes can't negotiate in all of the camping area. Too bad for them and wonderful for everybody else.

A couple of years ago we were at Yosemite and a large motorhome was next to us. They ran their generator all day as they sat outside and chatted. Oblivious. Well, except to my parking skills. Mr. Motorhome made a point of coming over to tell me my pickup was not parked according to his interpretation of the rules. But he didn't notice how annoying his continuous generator was.

I can only take crowded places so often. Then I have to go to the empty spaces, like the National Forest outside Sun Valley Idaho. No fee and empty. A fine place to experience the total eclipse. Or up to Bristlecone in early spring to sit at night as the Eastern Sierra rainstorms turn to snow at 8,500'. I'll sit out with my feet near the fire until I'm white from the snow. Then move inside as the orange flickers in the silence. At those times, there can't be anyone else within a thousand miles as far as I can tell.

As things become more and more weird, I find it comforting and convenient to have a small trailer. One park we wanted to visit was full, we drove on and into town. I asked a cop where we might park for the night and he immediately told me of a parking lot next to a restaurant where people are welcome to stay. Sort of like a Walmart, but much smaller. We pulled in and shared the area with a couple of motorhomes and a couple of trucks. No hassle at all.

We did spend one night at a Walmart near Houston. I went in and asked. The manager had to be consulted. He strolled up and wanted to know what we wanted. Then he had to think about it and know when we would be gone. I may have rolled my eyes a couple of times. Before morming several other vehicles and a few trucks rolled in to stay too. I don't think any of them asked. No problem. Now, at the Walmart near us in Gerdnerville, there has been a motorhome sitting for weeks. Barbeque and lawnchairs out, various things sitting around. He seems to be spending the summer there and my wife thinks he must be going up to Yosemite everyday at about 20 minutes away. Others come and go, but he has become a joke and we look for him.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently shopping
Minnesota
We just spent 4 nights in 2 Minnesota State Parks: Itasca, & Lake Vermillion-Soudan Mine. Both were $31 including electric only, plus an $8 online reservation fee. I believe you must reserve online for any future dates (including even the next day) but there is no charge for same day reservations if you want to "chance it". There is also a day fee or a yearly pass. We buy the yearly pass at $35 since we live in Minnesota and can make good use of it.
MikeSinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It’s seems like campgrounds are like gas stations . one station raises its’ price and the other ones in the area raise their price . State Parks raise their camping fees so the private campgrounds raise their’s accordingly and then the county campgrounds follow A county campgrounds we frequent just raised their prices $5 / night .When I inquired why ? , they said that they follow the price increases of the State and private parks
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #28

Name: anne
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
State parks in Texas range from $15 - $30 a night, depending on utilities and the park itself. Always cheaper than the nearest La Quinta, with better scenery and the ability to cook as opposed to paying for dinner out. [emoji7]
azooey73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #29

Name: anne
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
You've not been to Texas then!

That’s true, but if you get the state pass, the day use fees are waived.
azooey73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #30

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
azooey73- I think the point is that you must pay a per person daily entrance fee for the privilege of paying camping fees. It's still money out of your pocket if you pay daily or with an annual pass. I have already paid state taxes for the parks. Not trying to start an argument, just saying the state needs to compete with the COE, etc. I will always opt for a COE park over a Tx. state park if I have a choice. Our Parks and Rec. dept. are hurting for money and always are asking for donations. Accepting the Golden Age Passport for seniors would bring in campers and money to the sites that sit vacant many nights. I feel sure there are many others in many states that feel the same.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Well, who knows where this is all going. I have stayed in state parks where there was no entry fee for campers and was grateful for that. I’ve stayed where there’s a sliding scale for the electrical amperage the camper hooked up to. I felt this was fair and enlightened. I’ve stayed where the hair on the shower drain was so thick it would not drain and it was the first week the water was on. If I am not happy I do one or all of several things
Complain to a ranger or maintenance person.
Complain to the area superintendent with a phone call.
Do not return to that park. If i am happy and impressed, I do compliment those in charge and many times return. With the Escape they often recognize that I’ve been there before. It’s easy for me to talk Park management with these folks, from young seasonal people to old guys about to retire. At McCormicks Creek in Indiana last fall I ran into a guy I knew from gong to park conferences. “ You used to go to Skips Place in Angola after the banquet and suck a few down”, he said. Point being, talk to someone and let them know your feelings on fees, conditions, and improvements that could be made. Some are taken to heart but silence from a departing disgusted camper won’t help anybody.
Iowa “Parkie from the old school” Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #32

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Casita
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I read the article and I like the whole thing; particularly the fact that people are going and trying out something new. Everyone has to start somewhere; I car-camped in local parks with my family, then later went on to backpacking.

Now I am what our scoutmaster disdainfully called a 'turtleback'; a term specifically applied to cab-over campers, but also less discriminately directed at every other form of RV on the road.

In fact, given the investment we have made here, it's going to be quite some time before our 'cost per night' even begins to descend from the stratosphere. So, $850 a night - ? - that actually sounds like something of a bargain if I add everything up and divide it by our actual nights of use.

Heck, I'm looking forward to getting it down to $1,000 per night, just for starters.
Gosh, we're already under the wire on that one. We were on the road 40 days on the road home. At $850/night, that would be $34,000, and even with modifications and campsite fees, we're already recouping our investment.
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #33

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Casita
New York
Registry
I would put it further south, above where the MetroNorth commuter line ends, i.e., north (and west) of Poughkeepsie. The countryside is rural, and the culture changes quite a bit once you get beyond a NYC commute.
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #34

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It’s seems like campgrounds are like gas stations . one station raises its’ price and the other ones in the area raise their price . State Parks raise their camping fees so the private campgrounds raise their’s accordingly and then the county campgrounds follow A county campgrounds we frequent just raised their prices $5 / night .When I inquired why ? , they said that they follow the price increases of the State and private parks
If you read history you will find this is very much how it has always been done.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you read history you will find this is very much how it has always been done.

How does it go? "Supply and demand"?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #36

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
There’s a lot of angles to RV site pricing including occupancy rates, length of season, peak season rates, competition , quality of experience and on and on. To us it’s not worth much agonizing. We’ve stayed where we were not impressed where the fees were significant and we’ve been pleasantly surprised at a high quality experience at a lower cost campground. It’s pretty much a crap shoot but to us that’s some of the fun of it. Poor experiences are never repeated at the same site, of that you can be assured. We had to leave a day early at Riverside in Niagara Falls after having paid for all the days a couple years ago. Cecelia made sure we got our “paid for” night back the next fall. Now that’s quite a nice thing in my book.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #37

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
My favorite campground, a city run facility, in Golden, CO is $55 a night for creekside full hookup. By far the most expensive public CG we have stayed at.

Meanwhile, National Parks remain a terrific deal IMHO, and with a senior pass, an even more terrific deal.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote