And round....four? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #41

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Yes, i have contacted scamp....they do not know of any used ones. They also said that if (and that's a big if) they get older ones traded for newer ones, by the time they get them refurbished and cleaned up ans checked out and ready to go they are nearly as much as a new one. I have also thought about a new one and have gone through the pricing brochure....that's what hubby wants to do....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #42

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Getting a new one is a good idea - get what you want right from the start.
We are thinking of selling our 2012 13 ft Scamp with front washroom and going bigger
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #43

Minnesota
Anyone know if the new ones come with any kind of warranty?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #44

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
One year to original owner
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #45

Minnesota
Ok...the lowdown on the one in mi. The original owner bought it new in 2007 and took it out to cali and lived in it for several years....without doing much cleaning it sounds like. The cushions were all thrown out and the guy put in a six inch foam piece for a bed. Has a bathroom in the front. The guy that has it now bought it to sell it and make a few bucks. He said it is dirty and smelly inside. Apparently the door swung open while driving down the road at one point and there is a crack (although it appears to not be structural) that runs up and down the side....not what i am looking for but might work for someone.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #46

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well for that year of trailer & if the price is right the dirty and smelly part is pretty easy to deal with. You can pick up a complete set of new foam and covers for $525 directly from Scamp. Sew up some new curtains. The carpet can be pulled out and replaced for about $50. The rat fur is of such a design that a couple of hours with a steam cleaner will sort it out. Wash down the fiberglass inside and all good. The crack is the one item that could get pricey, you would need to have looked at - but if your not far from Scamp perhaps they can do it...
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #47

Minnesota
If it had more beds, for that price i would take the trek and get it cleaned....
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #48

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Does a 2007 have ratfir inside or ensolite? The ratfir might be harder to get clean and/or get any smells out of like cigarettes or nasty mold. Without a personal visit, I'd be concerned about buying it without seeing (or smelling) it. $3500 is a really low price for a 2007, so why hasn't it sold yet? Just seems fishy to me (and maybe that's the smell, LOL). Hope you can find someone up near Traverse City to take a look for you.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #49

Registry
Yup the price does sound strange but it may be the crack is more than being stated and you would want to see that for sure! 07 has rat fur but whats nice about the rat fur is that due to its properties it doesnt absorb much so it tends not to mold.... they actually use it on the uppers walls of the bathrooms with showers. Mine is 20 years old no mold issue - rat fur looks new even in the bathroom and the shower does get used.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #50

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
After reading the lowdown from Cricket I wouldn't even bother looking at it. Dirty,smelly and not taken care of grosses me out. IMHO I would rather spend more money and buy from someone who has pride of ownership and took loving care of the egg. That's the type of people I purchased mine from and I am very happy with my purchase even though I paid much more than I was planning on spending at the time. A couple years down the road and it all evens out. If this guy bought it just to turn it around and make some money you would think he would put a little labor in it and clean it up and make it presentable. You certainly wouldn't want to put your family in it and go on any trips any time soon. I may be in the minority on this one but I would walk away from this and take my time and find a nice clean,well taken care of camper- their out there! Or I would be making a drive to the Scamp factory and looking at a new one.....
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #51

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Could it have been under water with all the flooding this past spring?
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #52

Minnesota
The guy said that he would have cleaned it up, but he was a "bigger" guy and had a hard time moving around inside it.....then he asked how big of a person I was....WHAT? Who cares!? (doesn't matter that my husband and I together weigh less than he told me he weighed....anyway). He also said he had an elderly lady from North Carolina that was trying to make arrangements to come up and get it. He said he was trying to discourage her because this wasn't a job for an elderly lady that didn't have a good male in her life....? again.....What? I decided real quick that I wasn't about to make that trip....I think we are going to arrange a tour of the factory...if nothing else, then we can say we've explored all the options!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #53

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
...........I think we are going to arrange a tour of the factory...if nothing else, then we can say we've explored all the options!

I think that you should just bite the bullet and buy a new Oliver. Get the double pane windows.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #54

Duluth,Minnesota
Good decision on not making that trip! I think taking a tour of the factory would be fun even if you don't end up buying new. That way you can compare a 13' to a 16' side by side and see which one would work best for you and your family. There are also 17' Casita's, Escapes and Egg Campers out there and then there's the new 15' Parkliner which would be pretty neat to see. I spent about 2 years trying to find a used 16' Scamp for sale when on my way to work one morning a 17' Casita drove by me with a for sale sign in the window. I turned around and followed him to where he was parking it and ended up buying it even though I had never heard of a Casita. This was up here in Duluth where you wouldn't expect to find a Casita for sale. I thought it looked like a Scamp and that was good enough for me. Camping season is coming to an end now here in Minnesota so you might as well explore all the options out there. Someone may end up wanting to sell just so they don't have to pay for storage up here all winter- I know that happen's with boats sometimes. I'm still keeping my eye out up here!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #55

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That paint job is sorta like a trying to sell a house with a swimming pool. To some buyers it is a major attraction, to others it is a deal killer. In terms of future resale value, you might be cutting your potential buyers pool significantly.

And... if the quality of the paint job isn't perfect, and you can't keep it inside 98% of the time, there may be yet another repaint in the future. Keep in mind that black paint absorbs heat and any errors in preparation will quickly become evident.

Looking cool is one thing, living with looking cool can be a bigger challenge.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #56

Registry
Originally Posted by eggless
...........I think we are going to arrange a tour of the factory...if nothing else, then we can say we've explored all the options!

To be able to say that you would need to make a trip up to BC and tour the Escape factory as well. Its quickly become one of the most popular new buy fiberglass trailer out there. Lots of folks on the east coast are buying them as well. Saw more Escapes on the road and in the desert last winter while down south than any other fiberglass trailer by a long shot.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #57

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I vote Escape. Probably just because they are a relative of Trilliums. There is a very nice 15' version for sale on this site.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-52640.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #58

Duluth,Minnesota
Cricket, Here's one to look at...2002 Casita 17ft Spirit Deluxe ...just posted tonight on this site...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #59

Name: john
Trailer: 2007 13ft scamp
Michigan
traverse city the $3500 scamp i bought.GREAT TRAILER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
Ok...the lowdown on the one in mi. The original owner bought it new in 2007 and took it out to cali and lived in it for several years....without doing much cleaning it sounds like. The cushions were all thrown out and the guy put in a six inch foam piece for a bed. Has a bathroom in the front. The guy that has it now bought it to sell it and make a few bucks. He said it is dirty and smelly inside. Apparently the door swung open while driving down the road at one point and there is a crack (although it appears to not be structural) that runs up and down the side....not what i am looking for but might work for someone.

i bought the scamp in traverse city scamp you all are talking about. you missed a great trailer. spent two day with steam machine cleaned just fine looks great does need cushions door hinge need a little work not a problem i feel. ac ,fridge, heater lights every thing work just fine. did buy tires after driving 1500 miles back home to FLA. great trailer
scamprookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #60

Minnesota
Excellent! I am glad you are happy with the trailer. I wasn't saying it wasn't nice, merely relaying what the seller told me about it....happy scamping!