Skunks!!!! PU! 3 9.09%
Snakes, They wiggle 9 27.27%
BUGS!!! They bite! And get in your coffee! 6 18.18%
Raccoons, destructive little buggers 2 6.06%
Stellar's Jays, They are EVIL 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I guess I'd have to say coyotes occupy my top most-loathed spot. I have three dogs, two biggers and a littler, and I watch out for the littler very closely, whether camping or at home, as coyotes like little dogs for lunch. This winter I dispatched two prowling coyotes from my front porch, so bold they can be. The other critter-non-grata would be the porcupine. It's no fun to have to hold a dog down and extract quills from nose and lips! Skunks would be a close third I reckon. Keep that bottle of peroxide handy!
I like coyotes specifically because they do eat dogs. It's been great to see their numbers expanding here in the East. The Great Smoky Mountains now has a large and thriving population of coyotes who are, among other things, helping to keep down the introduced pests known as Russian wild boars.

BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #16
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
You left out the most feared, most vicious predator in the forest: the dreaded chipmunk! At the USAF Survival School at Fairchild AFB in 1972, I learned that the only time they ever completely lost a student in the woods, they found his body surrounded by chipmunk tracks. .

If you're too big for the chipmunks, they send out their bouncers, the bears. Minimum wage but mean. If they can't handle it, you'll find yourself under assault by a horde of Ninja Squirrels. Face it, the woods is mean.

And don't even get me started on Banana Slugs....................

DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #17
Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
I voted for bugs because they SO annoy at the campsite, and daily I dispatch a few stragglers from the ant colony that established a beachhead behind my spare tire last summer.
(WHAT are they living on?!)

But what do I most FEAR?

Every time I get to a mountaintop here in NC, within minutes there's a couple of 'em gliding over checking me out.
A couple becomes a half a dozen pretty quick and that gets me moving on.
I don't want to be around when some tiny evolutionary tweak makes these birds realize that it would only take a few of 'em to carry me away!
It's a good thing the buzzards don't have the moxie of your Stellar's Jays!

When I'm on the trail, what am I thinking about the most? Not bears, snakes, coyotes, or any of the rest. I keep my sense of smell keenly tuned for the foul odor of a....

They eat people, you know.

Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:24 AM   #18
Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Bugs. Ticks, they drop from the trees, and bushes and suprise you with their invasion of your most private places. And spiders. Nothing makes me scream more than walking down a trail and getting a web and big hairy black spider in the face.

We have delt with raccoons that tried to drag a small dog off and coyotes that tried to break through the chicken fence but those you can see and run off or scare off. Spiders can hide in your coat or sleeping bag and you don't even know until it is too late.

And throw in the yellow jackets in that bug catagory and I think everyone has a story about those mean guys getting involved with their outside meals.
Linda&Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:25 AM   #19
Trailer: 1974 Ventura

Cougars are one thing to be leary about here on Vancouver Island especially camping in out of the way places. They are very cunning because they attack from behind, and watch out for your children. Pets are also on their diet.

While travelling up north close to Whitehorse, my friend and I experienced small field mice. Two were inside the trailer scratching and scurring around. I sat outside for awhile because I was so freaked and there seemed to be hundreds underneath the trailer darting here and there. The friend got out the handy duc tape and taped over a hole by the bench, but never did know where they went.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #20
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Cougars are one thing to be leary about here on Vancouver Island especially camping in out of the way places. They are very cunning because they attack from behind, and watch out for your children. Pets are also on their diet.
The Cougar gets my vote as well even if its not on the list. It is the one animal I am always keeping my ears and eyes open for, not only when on the Island but in our local mountains as well. I always jump a little when I think I hear something behind me when walking on trails. Bears on the other hand don't scare me but they can become a bit of a problem when they take up hanging out in local yards and start to overly enjoy the neighbours ponds and hot tubs. ;-)

Carol H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #21
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft

Name:   250px_Hornet_vespa.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  32.3 KB

I really have a big problem with HORNETS/WASPS especially when I catch fish and am trying to cook them for dinner. Some how they fine our camp and BAM!, they bring all the relatives.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #22
Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Yellow jackets - that's a good one! Boy, do I hate those guys.
Anne H and Fay Wray, the cat | Portland, OR
en Plein Air (2016 19' Escape; 2016 Honda Pilot )
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #23
Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Although I voted (snakes) it's not so much that I "fear" them - I have a fairly reasonable concern for my kid's safety since a few are poisonous enough to do reasonable damage to a kid. The reason I selected them is that they have a tendency to lay VERY still either IN or NEAR enough to hiking paths that you can be on top of them before you know it (literally - stepping on one followed by the snake's retaliation is reasonable).

If I ever camped anywhere in Bear country - that's likely what I'd vote for though. I've got a pretty healthy respect for any animal that's willing to (and capable of) rip the door off a car to get a cracker.

My son however is freaked out by hornets. Specifically the ones that show up at a campground we've been to a couple times. Course, they are about an inch and a half long with retractable stingers that look to be about 1/4 inch long.

When the big kids were younger - they'd panic when they saw a horsefly.

When my daughter was much younger she'd run screaming away from "Spiders so small you couldn't see them".

Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #24
Trailer: 1974 Ventura
I just can't resist but to throw this in. When I was a small child fishing wih my father near Whitehorse, I was bitten by a horsefly underneath my chin. The screams could be heard for miles I'm sure. Close by was an elderly Native woman with her husband. Although she couldn't speak English, she made the motions of putting ear wax on the sting. Amazing it really worked taking the sting away. Moral of the story don't clean your ears before going on a holiday.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #25
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I wrestled with voting for the one most capable and/or likely to cause real harm ("What scares your the most"), and the one capable of the greatest annoyance.. and went with skunks as the latter. Bugs are, of course, more annoying in total, but for ability to wreck your day in a single event, skunks win. That smell just doesn't go away easily.

I have a healthy respect for the genuinely dangerous (bears being the only ones on the list that have any chance of actually encountering), and thus little fear of actually being hurt by them. For me, bears get a high score for level of damage, and a tiny score for probability, so I'm not worried.

I like coyotes; I spent a while one day in a Jasper National Park campground trying to get a decent picture of the local resident... but failed.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote