Another egg owner wannabe - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #15

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Paul,

Thank you for correcting me on that. I wasn't thinking about there being a plastic base in the "torqued' part of the rivet. I wonder if there are metal bases available that could be used with the plastic caps?

On the other hand, I guess if you have the caps, you can just make sure they stay intact. They're certainly inexpensive enough.

Also, of course the whole cap system is optional. My Boler has "naked" rivets, as I think they might all have done. I don't mind the look -- I actually prefer the lower profile. When I replace them I'll probably go with truss-headed machine screws and nuts, or maybe self-sealing rivets. I've also considered "sex bolts," but I'm thinking they might mean I have to enlarge the hole; right now I don't know what the hole diameter is.

Since I'm not concerned about the profitability of whether it takes two hours or six, or the slightly higher cost of the screw and nuts, I don't feel a need to stick with the rivets (that's not to say that they aren't good fasteners, and there are a couple places where not needing to get to the back is good, such as the drip rail over the door).

Given how quickly McMaster-Carr delivers, I may just buy samples of all three and then order more of one once I see how they all work, and choose my favorite.

Raya

Old 01-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you all for the good advice and the warm welcome! This board is really something special.

Actually I enjoy learning how things work, even if I won't necessarily be able to do the work myself. My dear husband gets that patient look sometimes when I'm telling him about the latest interesting thing I've learned here. Luckily he does like the idea of traveling with an egg even if he's not interested in working on one, which is perfectly fine with me.

And thanks to the Chicago area folks for offering a look at their trailers once it gets warm again. That will be a big motivation to keep saving!

Judith

Old 01-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Thank you for correcting me on that. I wasn't thinking about there being a plastic base in the "torqued' part of the rivet. I wonder if there are metal bases available that could be used with the plastic caps?

Raya
A metal base would undoubtedly work, but if they're steel they'll rust, and if aluminum or brass they'd still likely chafe the gelcoat. I suspect they use the nylon cap base for a reason.

Roger
Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #18

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Hi Judith ,

It looks like the rivet issue has been covered (and uncovered) so I'll pass on that. Like you, we were long time tenters but found ourselves going less and less as time passed. In 03 we found a slightly used 02 16' Scamp advertised right here on MFROG (keep checking those classifieds). A two day trip from NC to MI and, as they say, the rest is history.

We're now camping even more than we did in the seventies (Over 40 nights in 08). Cindy will still make an overnight backpack with me a couple of times each year but we wouldn't trade the Scamp for anything. We're now planning our Easter trip to the southwest and there's just no way we could catch all the places we want if we had to setup and breakdown a tent each stop.

Good luck on finding your 'egg' whatever brand you choose.

Al & Cindy
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #19

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Thank you all for the good advice and the warm welcome! This board is really something special.
Judith, I agree with you. This is the friendliest forum I've found on the net.

I have an Aliner and am dreaming of an Escape Plan B or a Casita Liberty Deluxe. But it will be a couple of years before I can think about buying one.

In the meantime, I love coming to this board. I also learn a lot that I can use in my Aliner.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In October while camping in Wisconsin, we finally saw an egg for the first time. The very nice couple who owned it gave us a tour of their "new" used trailer. I know they're not on this board (I recommended it). They said that they have had a constant stream of people stopping them and asking about it, some people even offering to buy it! The guy they bought it from warned them to expect a lot of attention and they were clearly getting a kick out if it. Is that kind of attention common, or only in this part of the Midwest?

We have a sturdy, instant set up tent (less than one minute up and only a couple to take down) but sleeping on the ground, even with good mats, is getting less and less fun. And the downpours/thunderstorms we seem to attract. Maybe next year...

Judith
Old 01-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #21

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
In October while camping in Wisconsin, we finally saw an egg for the first time. The very nice couple who owned it gave us a tour of their "new" used trailer. I know they're not on this board (I recommended it). They said that they have had a constant stream of people stopping them and asking about it, some people even offering to buy it! The guy they bought it from warned them to expect a lot of attention and they were clearly getting a kick out if it. Is that kind of attention common, or only in this part of the Midwest?

We have a sturdy, instant set up tent (less than one minute up and only a couple to take down) but sleeping on the ground, even with good mats, is getting less and less fun. And the downpours/thunderstorms we seem to attract. Maybe next year...

Judith
Hi: Judith& Welcome... Every parking lot, veggie stand, and campground we can almost set a stopwatch!!! Why we even had a fiberglass boat owner come over and start stroking the curves of our "Escape Hatch". IMHO they are a work of "ART".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:

Judith
Hi Judith and welcome.
You might as well just admit it, you're hooked...
We know this because all of us here are egg addicts and we can spot one of us a mile away.

Go ahead and start looking seriously for your first egg, buy it and you'll never go back. There have been some phenomenal deals this fall and this is the time to buy before March and the prices rise. (Any of us will be happy to help you find the one for you.) Also, gives you the time to ready the egg for camping season so you don't miss a day of great weather.

Once you buy, we'll send you the location of a local eggs-anonomous where you can go and say.."Hi, my names Judith and I'm an egg aholic..."

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper