Another Escape to Oregon - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
In Alberta $109, life time registration on trailers. No sales tax.

I am about to try to register a trailer with a hand written bill of sale only. I will let you guys know how that turns out.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #16

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Now you've all got me worried, I know here in ON where I'm closing things off for another four weeks it's a one time fee for the plate, but don't know about MB where we officially live now, and where we'll be registering our FGRV once we get it. I heard that sales tax will now be the same as ON (13%HST), MB will now be 5%GST plus 8% PST (up one%)!

Adrian

Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Tennessee
Sounds like the people in this thread have a pretty good knowledge of taxes and other fees concerned with buying trailers up north near the border with Canada.
I am trying to verify if a Canadian citizen were to cross over the boarder and buy a new trailer in the US if they have to pay any additional duty tax or whatever they call it once they register in their country.
Someone told me this and I have been trying to find out if it is true. They said it does not apply to a used unit bought in the US.
Just asking, I like to know the all the facts for having a better understanding of all cost associated with buying or selling a trailer between the two countries.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape
Registry
Hi Robert,
I've only gone north to south on several sea kayaks and now a trailer - duties have not been owning on the transactions. Don't we have a Free Trade agreement in place?
I imagine the new owner's tax obligation varies from province to province like it does state to state.

Something to look into - Escape now does the actual export, that is drives U.S. bound units across the border to avoid having to collect Canadian taxes that their customers would have to pay then get refunded.

I'm sure our Canadian friends will weigh in with some actual south-north experience.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Carol H. purchased a used Scamp from the US side and she lives in BC. Hopefully she'll chime in with answers that she experienced. I have NO clue if the provinces rules may be different. And, even Carol may not know.

Oh Carol... where are you?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Partee View Post
Sounds like the people in this thread have a pretty good knowledge of taxes and other fees concerned with buying trailers up north near the border with Canada.
I am trying to verify if a Canadian citizen were to cross over the boarder and buy a new trailer in the US if they have to pay any additional duty tax or whatever they call it once they register in their country.
Someone told me this and I have been trying to find out if it is true. They said it does not apply to a used unit bought in the US.
Just asking, I like to know the all the facts for having a better understanding of all cost associated with buying or selling a trailer between the two countries.
Robert I am a Canadian and I purchased a used Scamp in the US and imported it to Canada. If a trailer is built in the USA under the NA free trade agreement no duty is payable - does not matter if the trailer is used or new. The purchase will need to pay the GST and Provincial Sales tax on the trailer though - that applies to both new and used trailers.

A trailer less than 15 years of age it will also need to be put into the RIV Program and inspected - cost of the RIV registration is $195 and the owner will need to take the trailer in for inspection at a place like Canadian Tire (another $40 or so). A trailer 15 years or older does not need to be put through the RIV program.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have NO clue if the provinces rules may be different. And, even Carol may not know.

Oh Carol... where are you?
The import rules are Federal so they apply across the country.

Edit: should have said obviously if the Province that the party is importing the trailer to & registering it in, does not have a Provincial Sales tax then they will not need to pay that. But they will need to pay the GST at the time of import. Normally the Provincial Sales tax portion is paid at the time the owner actually registers the trailer.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
THANKS Carol! Gotta love the help members provide others...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Tennessee
Thanks everyone for your responses.
What is a GST?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Partee View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses.
What is a GST?
Goods and Service Tax, its a 5% Federal value added tax in Canada.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Tennessee
Thanks Carol for clarifying
Old 09-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #26

Manitoba
And Robert in case you wondered about the HST I mentioned in post #16, that's the Harmonized Sales Tax. Some provinces have combined the provincial and GST into one, supposedly making it easier for everyone. All it means is that everywhere (except Alberta) taxes are high in Canada! Just think about adding 13% to EVERYTHING you buy. That's why so many Canadians shop in the states.

Adrian
Old 10-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Only Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island use the HST system of tax. Albert and none of the Territories (Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon) have a provincial tax, only GST.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #28

Manitoba
Yes Carol, and your province did have HST but your population are brave enough to rise up and demand it be rescinded until those in Ontariariario!

Adrian

Tags
escape