Another FG RV Comes Home... (Long) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #1

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Another FG RV Comes Home... (Long)

I think I'm getting too deep into this fiberglass trailer thing. Have had my 1984 Scamp 13 for just a year & am still in the midst of re-building/re-modeling.

Weellll, today I 'scored' a 1976 Trillium 1300 (at least I think it's a 1300, the Missouri title only says 1976 TRLL but it's 13' overall & has the interior & features I've been able to gather from the forum). It is pretty rough but appears sound & tows great (my '08 Toyota Tacoma performed on the 215mi trip home as if I were driving 'solo').

Got the Trillium for a 'give-away' price. Only thing that kinda worried me is the door hinges appear to have been broken or pulled out of their mounting 'platform' on the trailer body itself, & a piece of strap steel has been bolted thru the wall with the hinges attached. They appear to be original hinges & I believe I can repair/rehab the original hinge mounting points. One section (3 panes) on curb side of the rear window have been removed & a small window A/C messily installed in a sheet of plywood in their place. The front window rock shield is missing & I'm not sure if it is the correct window. I think it is but there is a space around the window on the outside where the original fiberglass color (green) shows & there are 'filled' holes outside the perimeter of the window frame. Would this be where the rock guard was installed? Some PO had painted the entire interior (except above the counter) a horrid camoflage color/pattern, then someone later had begun over-painting the camo with white. The wall/ceiling covering appears to be in very good condition except cosmetically. The small 9" roof vent is in sad shape (still turns water tho) & plans are to replace that with a Fantastic Vent/Fan. There is no fridge or icebox & the cooktop is also gone but those items can be obtained (maybe). There is a small spot under the A/C (above the belly band) where some plywood behind the vinyl/foam wall covering has disintegrated & will have to be replaced.

I can see some long hours ahead & probably some less than civil/polite language on my part but I'm anxious to get into this job. Would appreciate if some forum member could post some close up pix of the door hinges & mounting pads (both open & closed) for a '76 Trillium 1300. Also will be on look out for a complete rear window & a front rock guard (I can fabricate a replacement but would rather have an original).

The exterior has been painted (& re-painted?) & I expect I'll repaint at some future time (don't think the original surface is worth trying to restore).

The title has the serial#/VIN but I've been unable to find it anywhere on the trailer. There's a decal on the tongue that says information on the trailer can be found on the technical date sheet inside the trailer but, I no find nothing! I figure anything like paper would be long gone?? Couple of old Trillium Co. & RVIA decals on the outside behind the door but can't see any #'s on them.

Here's a few pix of my 'new baby' - appreciate any info/advice on re-habbing/restoring this one...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3441.JPG   IMG_3442.JPG  

IMG_3443.JPG   IMG_3449.JPG  

IMG_3450.JPG   IMG_3457.JPG  

IMG_3504.JPG   IMG_3452.JPG  

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You don't want the cammo interior? You could hide from the family in plain site when it gets to much for ya :-P

Free, or near free, is mostly a good price.

Congrats.. you'll enjoy and learn too!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
You have a definate labor of love ahead of you. You will get alot of help on the board. It never ceases to amaze me what people do to their trailers. CAMO ?? Did it have a deer head hanging?
Good Luck and keep us all posted on your progress.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That leafy camo looks like it took a lot of effort to paint. Someone had too much time on their hands...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #5

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Was that the one from Kennett?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Was that the one from Kennett?

Mon
That's the one. It has cosmetic issues & needs lotsa work but I've checked it pretty thoroughly & it appears structurally sound. Even has electric brakes, not hooked up & I haven't pulled the wheels to check 'em out but they're there. Started this morning taking all removable items out. The lower door hinge is broken on the body side so I'll need to replace that if I can find one. Anyone have a source for a '76 Trillium door hinge?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #7

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Ok! That WAS a good deal, for someone who has any idea what they're doing...sounds like you fit the bill!

Looks like that interior was done by laying down a base coat (tan) and then holding/laying weeds on it and spraying contrasting paint over.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #8

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Ok! That WAS a good deal, for someone who has any idea what they're doing...sounds like you fit the bill!

Looks like that interior was done by laying down a base coat (tan) and then holding/laying weeds on it and spraying contrasting paint over.

Mon
Actually I don't think they put down any base coat. The original fiberglass interior was 'lime' green, & the ensolite (or whatever they called it) insulation/wall covering is a sorta off white (ivory?). Looks like they just held different plants/leaves & sprayed over 'em with flat black paint. The entire inside except the counter top, back splash, & inside closet & storage compartments had been camo'd. The front half & most of the ceiling has been covered (or partially covered) with white paint (appears to have been rolled on, not more'n a single coat).

Most of the 'joints/seams' between sections of the ensolite still have usable 'receptacle tracks' for the 'T' molding that covers the seams. I just hafta find vinyl 'T' molding with a shallow enough rib to cover the seams after painting. I expect I'll hafta apply several coats of Kilz or similar primer before applying a good paint in a suitable, neutral color. I'm thinking a very pale grey or perhaps light tan/beige.

The cabinet & closet doors are a 'cheesy' looking particle board that will definitely be replaced. Hopefully I can find a new window section for the rear window & remove the wood framework that's holding the A/C. I'll probably also install a power converter & 12vdc battery as there is no provision now for powering the 12v lights except from the tow vehicle plug.

Funny how this one was equipped from the factory; it has electric brakes (kinda unusual for a trailer as lightweight as this one) but no heater or fridge. Apparently it had an icebox originally & a 2-burner cooktop, with sink & hand pump. May just add a small dorm type fridge rather than go to the expense of trying to find/install a gas/electric one in the limited space. The 2 or 3-way fridges are more versatile but if we limit our trips in this one to campgrounds that have shore power we'll be OK. The Scamp has a nice small 3-way Dometic that works well if we decide to 'boondock'. In that case I wouldn't even need the converter/battery except for 12v appliances, phone charging, etc. I have an old, working converter that doesn't have a charge feature that may work for this.

Guess I'll hafta move my boat out of the shed so I can have a dry place for this one when I start removing windows, roof vents & such. I don't plan on making this a quick job, just gotta decide on a place to start & 'get on it'.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #9

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
You have a definate labor of love ahead of you. You will get alot of help on the board. It never ceases to amaze me what people do to their trailers. CAMO ?? Did it have a deer head hanging?
Good Luck and keep us all posted on your progress.
Nope, but I did find a 'live' 12 gauge slug in one of the storage compartments
Old 02-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
That's the one. It has cosmetic issues & needs lotsa work but I've checked it pretty thoroughly & it appears structurally sound. Even has electric brakes, not hooked up & I haven't pulled the wheels to check 'em out but they're there. Started this morning taking all removable items out. The lower door hinge is broken on the body side so I'll need to replace that if I can find one. Anyone have a source for a '76 Trillium door hinge?
The hinge is a Kason 139 refrigerator hinge. They have a 3/8" offset which is hard to find. One member used a zero offset version with a spacer. I found the exact replacement at Mcmaster Carr. They are not cheap.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...red-49552.html

Use the search function for lots of Trillium Hinge posts. Congratulation on your "new" Trillium and welcome to the club. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #11

Arkansas
Yep, they've gone up since your other post Raz, $53.26 plus shipping now. Guess I'm gonna hafta order a pair. Think my repair is gonna be a little more complicated that yours from last year. There's no 'pad' left on the body/jamb so I'll hafta fabricate that & still keep everything in its proper relationship... Since I'm gonna hafta fabricate the mounting pads I might just as well 'glass' in a steel plate then drill & tap for machine screws once correct hole/hinge locations are determined.

Upper hinge
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3537.JPG   IMG_3543.JPG  

Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
i got some t-moldings from tmolding .com...there should be a post on here some where about it...they were fast to ship, and seems to be a good deal...i did have to cut off one rib off the molding to make it fit the track..no biggy deal...you will drive your self nuts looking for a direct replacement...i wish you luck with your new project.

if this project gets to be too much and you decide to part it out...i will buy your window in the door. but i hope you can repair this little gem!
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote