Another Generator Review - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Our recent Ham Radio Field Day was the make or break for me as to getting a portable power source for my Scamp. The result... I now own a small portable generator that has plenty of power for my needs, is easy to run, not too loud, and didn't break the bank.

I decided on a ProForce 2,500 Watt Generator, bought from Wal-Mart for $279.

Click image for larger version

Name:	proforce.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	9403

A great little Generator! 5.5hp OHV engine, Rated for 20 Amps, 110V @ 2500 Watts with surge to 3125 watts. Advertised to run at around 67 dB. With a 100% copper, brushless genset, metal 3 gal. gastank, it's listed to run 10 hrs. @ half load.

During Field day, I used one circuit with a Tripplite Line Conditioner to filter out any over/under voltage events for my radios, laptop & DVD, and ran other circuit to run the AC, Fridge, and 110v lights.(the Scamp's 15 amp shore power connection) I used a Reliance AmWatt Load Tester to monitor things. I would draw around 1700-1800 watts at peak when the AC or Fridge would start up, otherwise, the average draw was down around 900- 1000 watts. I ran the generator 24 hours on only 6 gallons of gas.

At our Field Day site, another camper had a new Yamaha EF3000iSEB. Comparing the Yamaha to the ProForce, found that mine was only just a little bit louder, with only a noticable higher frequency ambient noise. The Yamaha's body panels do a good job of damping it's high freq's. But by setting my generator up on the back bed of my pick-up with the tailgate up, to redirect the sound upward, I was able to come close to matching the Yamaha's sound level. Overall, the Field Day site was not dominated by generator sound at all. Inside the Scamp, with the AC running, I couldn't hear ether generator running only 20 ft away.

I'm happy with my purchase. It suits my needs perfectly, plenty of power without excess, not too loud, and within my budget. Granted, this generator is not as sophisticated as a Honda or Yamaha OHV Inverter Generator, but it's also not $1000+. I'll build a sound baffle box, maybe on a small garden cart to run it in, that'll give the little generator a smaller sound footprint. And my moderate priced Line Conditioner gives me peace of mind for my electronics. I think it was a good buy.

BTW, the ProForce will have pretty light duty...only for the occasional remote campouts, Field Day's, and if I have to have emergency power for the trailer and my radios. My larger and LOUDER 5250 watt DevilBliss serves as my home stand-by power source.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Congratulations on your new generator. Sounds like a useful tool. Whenever somebody mentions "generator" around here we often get the Usual Suspects chiming in to exhort worship at the altar of True Camping (i.e., no generator—or, in other words, "do it my way!"). But a genny is just a tool and it all depends on the sensitivity and consideration of the user. As long as you are aware of other peoples' space (including aural) your generator can open up great new vistas for your trailering. I've had my Eu2000i now for five years and haven't had a single complaint or even dirty look in all that time. Enjoy!
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Bob, what is the weight of this one??
AprilL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Bob, what is the weight of this one??
According to one of the websites selling it, it's 91 lbs. But I think thats a bit more than it really is. I hoisted it on and off my pick-up by myself, and even toted it around. I wouldn't want to carry it around the block, but I didn't pop any gaskets or anything when I did pick it up.

Picking up 91 lbs of anything would surely make me GRRRRRUUUUUNNNNNNTTTT!

It just don't feel like it's 91 lbs...maybe I don't know my own strength. My guess it's closer to 70 lbs.

Tags
generator