another good find - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #1

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
I ran across this and ordered one, it looks like something useful to have, and nice and portable. We don't plan to install water tanks into our 13' so for those times when we will be out for any long periods of time, this just seemed like a good addition to the camping supplies. It's a 45 gallon collapsable fresh water tank.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/...-45-gallon/1605

Name:   1605.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  8.8 KB

Old 12-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
360 LBS if full of water

Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #3

Oregon
Thanks for the full weight, I imagine you can partially fill it if you need to keep the weight down. We plan to use it only if we need to. The nice thing is, it folds down to 11" x 11" x 3" when empty. Not a bad thing to have if you are living in a Hurricane zone either.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Just wondering where you plan to carry this..

This is the info for the tank: This product, when filled with water, is limited for use in RV parks, campgrounds and on level ground. Not for highway use. Not for use on lightweight vehicles.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
Quote:
360 LBS if full of water

actually, according to my ref. it's 8.3 lbs/gal=373.5 lbs.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #6

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
actually, according to my ref. it's 8.3 lbs/gal=373.5 lbs.

Is there another picture showing the truck roof collapsed?
I had a five gallon collapsible water container once. Not having any real structure, it tended to roll over when ever it felt like it and was much more difficult to carry than a proper container.

baglo
Old 12-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #7

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I'm pretty sure that 360 plus lbs on the roof will make for some really unstable turns. (Sloshing effect)
Anyone who has driven a pickup with a big water container in the back can tell you it's kind of weird.
If you fill it at the campground and drain it before going on the road it probably will be great.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #8

Oregon
I imagine you would have to use common sense and not put it on a vehicle that could not support it. We would have to empty the back of our SUV to fill it and carefully transport it without the trailer connected. A special trip would have to be made to fill it. Some camp grounds have water, but not always by the camp site, so it would be nice to not have to make so many trips to the spicket if we didn't need to. We also have the smaller 6 gallon portable water tank for shorter runs. I would never dream of putting it on top of my roof... It would have to be empty for long distance transport. I still think you wouldn't always have to fill it completely with every use, maybe calculating your water usage will allow you to only fill it partially to suit your usage needs. I just wanted to pass this along, in case other's found it useful since it does pack down small. I have seen many other large water containers in the RV stores that have hard plastic bodies and wheels, they hold quite a bit of water but are more expensive and don't fold down. This was a good solution for a large capacity portable water tank for us.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #9

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
April, good find. I think there are a number of members who would find this of use. A bunch like to boondock and not everyone drives a small(er) vehicle. If one was at a site without water for a longer period of time, it may be very beneficial to have this amount of water handy without constantly going to the well!

Another item you may need to fill the tank, if a threaded spigot isn't available, but you have a water hose is the Water Thief
Attached Thumbnails
WaterThief.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #10

Oregon
I was looking into those recently. I found one that lets you tap off of pump spickets, that generally don't fit a water hose connect... is that what the one you posted does?
Old 12-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I was looking into those recently. I found one that lets you tap off of pump spickets, that generally don't fit a water hose connect... is that what the one you posted does?
I think pump spickets have a very large spout in comparison to a hose bib. You could probably rig something up using a funnel and the water thief on the tip of the funnel.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that 360 plus lbs on the roof will make for some really unstable turns. (Sloshing effect)...
It has two internal Baffles to reduce sloshing effect.

That unique shape is probably for ruther sloshing/waving reduction.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
April, We bought one of the water bladders last summer when it was on sale at CW. For what we need, it's great! And, it folds up back into its own small box when not needed, so it requires very little storage space. Your standard freshwater hose fits in the fill spout.
A couple of caveats:1. The directions say to clean and sanitize the new bladder with a few gallons of water and normal sanitizing. The first three times we used this, I could smell the aroma of plastic in the water coming from our faucets. Do yourself a favor, and fill it completely and empty it into the flower beds a few times before you use it for camping. After a few fills, it's fine.
2. The picture shows carrying this bladder on the rooftop of a vehicle. Even on a completely level campground road (and how often do you find those?), I wouldn't do it. We carry it in the bed of the pickup (we have a soft bedliner), and it shifts around so much, I would not feel safe with it on top of a vehicle. However, you could fit it in the back of an SUV or decent sized trunk... it's like a waterbed mattress, about the size of a crib mattress. Although it's pretty sturdy vinyl, I make sure we have nothing sharp under or near it during transport or storage.
We spent a couple weeks this summer camping in the mountains with 4 people, no potable water source or electricity available .. . (2 in the trailer, 2 in tents), and this was a great help! When we ran low on water, we drove about 8 miles to the closest park, filled it in about 10 minutes, drove home and filled the tank to provide hot showers and fresh water for everybody.
I also agree it's handy to have around in hurricane season in Florida.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #14

Oregon
Thanks for the advice about rinsing it out a few times. Did you use any kind of sanitizer? light amount of bleach or maybe vinegar? I'm glad to know somebody has alreay bought and used one successfully.