another hazard when looking at a trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
another hazard when looking at a trailer

Stopped at a farm today to look at a Ventura that a friend had spotted. Had a good look at the outside and wanted to see what year it was , so went inside and opened the closet door. Was reading the info on the door when I looked over and there it was, a hornets nest the size of a football, exit stage left with hornets in hot pursuit. Official score, hornets 5 me 0.

So the Ventura was pretty rough but I still may make an offer. It probably will be the first trailer here that will need repair for bullet holes in two windows, bullet holes in both tires, bullet hole through the propane regulator, bullet hole through our beloved Bargmann L400 latch and buckshot holes in one wall were they shot at the bear that was inside it
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
set off a flea bomb in that one, nuke them hornets
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Sounds like you have allot of bargaining power to buy that trailer. Bullet holes in the windows are going to get expensive fast. Is there any floor left?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Evaluating used FG RVs

Clearly, the bullets and buck shot did not work on the hornets, so nuking them might be the solution!
I have never evaluated a used FG unt, but hope to in the near future. Has anyone seen a good checklist for a first time purchaser?
Thank you.
elk_rapidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk_rapidian View Post
I have never evaluated a used FG unt, but hope to in the near future. Has anyone seen a good checklist for a first time purchaser?
There's a Buyer's Checklist in the Document Center ("More" tab at the top of the page right above your log-in information).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Yes it will lower the asking price a bit! I don't think they want much for it. As for the floor, it did give good traction on the way out but honestly didn't have time to look at the interior for oblivious reasons. Too busy tearing my shirt off in front of the seller as I thought some hornets were inside the shirt. Got out of it with 5 bites/stings so not too bad.

This trailer is a basket case, I knew that going in but have rebuilt a ventura in the past so it doesn't really scare me much(other than the hornets). Of course the price will have to be good to take it on. This will be a rebuild to sell. It will also be a project for next year and will stay where it is till then.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Buyer Checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
There's a Buyer's Checklist in the Document Center ("More" tab at the top of the page right above your log-in information).
Thank you Jon.
Much appreicated/
elk_rapidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
It probably will be the first trailer here that will need repair for bullet holes in two windows, bullet holes in both tires, bullet hole through the propane regulator, bullet hole through our beloved Bargmann L400 latch and buckshot holes in one wall were they shot at the bear that was inside it

And the rumour down south is we don't have guns in Canada!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #9

Name: kc
Trailer: shopping
Louisiana
Owner is obviously into Gun s offer them a shotgun and a box of shells even
kcwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
Yes we have guns up here but to sell or trade him one, I would need a licence to own one in the first place and the owner of the trailer would need one as well. He is about 70 years old on oxygen. I don't think it was the owner that pumped it full on bullets , rather it was vandalized.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Re-Ian Giles info on re-building a Boler from scratch,

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk_rapidian View Post
Thank you Jon.
Much appreicated/
:I just spent about 1 hour and only touched a small percentage of what he shows via Pictures and talks about in the restoration of 13' Boler Trailers. You will never go wrong if you follow his instructions.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #12

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Sounds like maybe he should pay you to take it away!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We had "no" Wildlife Fun during the renovation of our '73 amerigo, Peanut, and for that I will always be grateful.

Nearly everything else, though-- except replacing plexiglass...we added a panel in the rock shield and many of the windows could use it, but so far it's not strictly necessary, also grateful for being able to put that off. We'd have had to replace any panes with bullet holes. Decals only cover so much!

A few of our worst window issues were able to be covered in part by decals in the form of puffy silver doggy paw prints.

I think you have the most manly RV fix-up coming of any I've read about anywhere...nothing like bullets & buckshot, bear(s) and hornets to get that testosterone going!

Hope you completely recover soon from the stings! Yeeouch! (x5)
Old 09-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #14

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Nooooooo not the l400!!!!!
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:35 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I know what it is like. I crawled under a trailer to inspect the underside, but it was a bit crowded. A 6' black snake was also inspecting the axle and brakes. He went out from under one side the trailer and I exited the other side. I didn't buy the trailer.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #16

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I know what it is like. I crawled under a trailer to inspect the underside, but it was a bit crowded. A 6' black snake was also inspecting the axle and brakes. He went out from under one side the trailer and I exited the other side. I didn't buy the trailer.
Eddie
The good news about a black snake is that you know that there's probably minimal rodent damage to the trailer. I'll take the (nonvenomous) snake over the mice overwintering in there every time.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
A good way to handle bees or hornets and such is a good vac (with a collector dust bag!
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote