Another heater option - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Thumbs down

They say they are used in RVs. I don't remember ever seeing this. Looks interesting.

What do you all think?

econoheater wall panel
Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Pros: Permanent (or semi-permanent) installation so pets won't knock it over and it takes up little space.

Cons: $$! Cube heater at Big Box store costs a lot less. Cube heater usually comes with 400W/700W selection, so you can heat quickly and then maintain it. Cube heater is portable, so it has uses in other places like basement or garage (Mine is under my desk, warming my feet right now!). Cube heater is usually a combination of radiant heat and convective heat. Panel heater might not be mountable on wood or fiberglass (find instruction manual and read it).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I looked at those but decided I didn't have room. I ended up finding this one

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-HWB5050T-Wa...r/dp/B000G1CXZS

on clearance for $19. It's smaller than it looks, has fan and heat, and best, has a thermostat so it isn't just on and off. You can even set a timer so it comes on at certain times. It does sit out about 6 inches from the wall, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1987 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel
That does look interesting. We've been thinking we should get a backup heater in case we run out of propane or something. Here's a link to lots of reviews for what appears to be an older model on Amazon in case that is of any help.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0006...howViewpoints=1

Maureen
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We have these heaters for our basement bedrooms. They work fine if the space is small. Even if the space is small, it needs to kept closed off to keep things warm and it takes quite a while to gently warm the area. We use them to boost the heat from the furnace. The warmth is very nice and even and there is no sound at all. They are attached to the dry wall. It does warm the wall behind, but not enough to be dangerous.

I can't see them working in an RV. It would take hours to warm the area and that is with no door opening. I would think any flexing would be a problem.

They do get hairline cracks after a while, but the company said to wipe silicone over them and they will be fine. So far, so good and it has been 4 years with them being left on all winter long.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Pete...
Never heard of the Big Box stores.. are they new?.. I do have a cube heater but I am sure the watts arent as low as 400/700... would like to get one... I will try to look on thier website
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Well, a 'few' things.... the 'special price' is ONLY if you order two (or more), and.... I couldn't find a size for the heater (not that I looked real hard) and it IS on back-order???? Also, it 'indicates' it works best in rooms that have insulation. ....how much heat in an un-insulated egg can you get with only 400W'z??

Maureen, just a thought, but IF you were thinking of using an electric heater as back up heat that would mean you were r/ving in a spot that had power. WHY oh WHY would you then use your propane for heating (which you have to pay for) when you have available power at your site, which you are already paying for???

This is a question I have asked many of our attendees at our GEM's ......why are you using a propane BBQ and or heater when you have power at your site?

I know its a personal choice, but the bottom line is is all about the $$$$'z!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I always use my cube heater when hooked up to shore power..... use the propane for the hot water and stove ( if I need to be inside)
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Big Box stores are the multi-department stores that are essentially a big box in construction, filled with various goods, like WalMart, Fred Meyers, Target, KMart, etc.

Look on the UL label on the heater to see the output(s) -- If it is in Amps, multiply by 120 to get Watts.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Quote:
. So far, so good and it has been 4 years with them being left on all winter long.
I thought about them for the house too. Can you tell if they cut the regular heating bill at all?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Our house is only 4 years old and if we had to heat the two rooms we have them in, to a comfortable temp, we would have to crank up the thermostat and make the rest of the house warmer. I would say they definitely add comfort to those two partially under ground bedrooms that are harder to heat. So yes, they definitely save on the fuel bill and add comfort.

They were easy to install and you don't even notice they are on the wall. They can be painted the same color as the rest of the room.

They do not instantly warm up the room like a small fan heater. It is a convection process and work in small closed areas. If they broke I would buy them again.

If you don't mind the space they take up, the oil filled radiator type heaters are cheaper, also work great, are nearly silent and can be moved from place to place. We have one of those for the guest room. It heats faster so it can be turned off and recover the heat faster. Ours has a timer and can turn itself on and off according to need.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Just got a flyer in the mail for these DeLonghi Mica Panel heater. They appear to be infrared. It looks different than the heater listed above from DeLonghi. This is a Model #HHP-1500. Haven't had much luck researching it. Mostly seems to be available from online shopping channels, etc. Anybody have any experience with this particular heater? Either a standup or flat wall mount. Just not sure how the infrared would work in our camper.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Pros: Permanent (or semi-permanent) installation so pets won't knock it over and it takes up little space.

Cons: $$! Cube heater at Big Box store costs a lot less. Cube heater usually comes with 400W/700W selection, so you can heat quickly and then maintain it. Cube heater is portable, so it has uses in other places like basement or garage (Mine is under my desk, warming my feet right now!). Cube heater is usually a combination of radiant heat and convective heat. Panel heater might not be mountable on wood or fiberglass (find instruction manual and read it).
Pete I have looked all over and cant seem to find a small heater 500w or less.
I would be very interested in a 400w. Where should I look online?

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Check this one and see if it is what you want.

http://www.eheat.com/site/products.php?opt...s&show=0601

Bill K

Quote:
Pete I have looked all over and cant seem to find a small heater 500w or less.
I would be very interested in a 400w. Where should I look online?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote