Another question - packing - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
Another question - packing

We've had our Scamp all of 3 weeks but due to this wonderfull weather haven't had a chance to try it out. My question is: How do you pack everything so it doesn't just rattle around? We rented a big Winebago years ago and by the time we got to our destination the cupboards were a distaster. There must be a trick???
Thanks in advance

Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Don't leave so much as a millimeter of space between objects is one way...

Another is to use small containers inside cupboards and shelves.

I found baskets at the Dollar Tree that just fit my cupboards and shelves dimensionally. I use them all over the trailer- they work particularly well in my "pantry" for keeping cans/packaged food etc. more or less upright and in place.

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7527.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	58214

I used small bins (4 of those crate style fit above the fridge in ours) It helped a lot. Other cabinets I used small shoebox sized rubbermaid boxes.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Registry
When my wife came home from B,B & B last week with about 20 cloth covered baskets, I thought she might be losing it. Now that the cupboards are all packed for tomorrows' trip, I see the wisdom of her ways. Nothing (at least nothing much) is going to move. Eventually, I always see the wisdom of her ways, sometimes it just takes a while. And she has been pretty understanding about all the "gadgets" I've ordered or brought home.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelW View Post
Attachment 58214

I used small bins (4 of those crate style fit above the fridge in ours) It helped a lot. Other cabinets I used small shoebox sized rubbermaid boxes.
Like Francesca, I use the crates in the fridge. I often bring them inside the house and load them up and then easily slide them into the Fridge. Also, if you put items on the fridge door or where ever they touch the fridge plastic or anywhere something is packed against the finished fiberglass, I put paper towels around them. If its a larger items I use pieces of vinyl shelf liner. If you don't, you'll have black marks on your plastic/FG cabinet & fridge walls. There are lots of items at the dollar store or Ikea that help organize your things and keep them from shifting around so much. Also best to use plactic vs glass/ceramic breakable items.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #6

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
In the cupboards I use small plastic containers from the dollar store. In the fridge we use refrigerator bars, they're spring loaded bars that you put inside to keep stuff away from the door.
A couple of things have been pointed out, but I think the main thing is to stuff from banging against the doors from the inside. The containers do that, stuff placed so that it's below the lip, and the bars in fridge.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #7

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Line the bottoms of your cupboards with that non-skid mat stuff. It comes in rolls and you can cut it to the size and shape you need. Available at any RV or marine supply store. It isn't a cure all, but it does help keep things from sliding around. We wrap our two ceramic coffee mugs in cloth napkins and I put dish towels between the nesting pots and pans. I'm always on the look out for small cardboard boxes that can hold items, or plastic bins like others use. When we break camp to hit the road, we stuff throw pillows into the cabinets to help keep things from moving around. Jackets or sweaters would work too. And don't forget to double check that all your cupboard latches are securely closed! We had to use bungee cords on one rig to keep them from coming open and strewing the contents all over the floor! Stay away from anything breakable. The only breakable things in our kitchen cupboards are the two coffee mugs, everything else is plastic. It's lighter too.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #8

Name: Marsha
Trailer: Oliver
Michigan
Registry
The spring-loaded bars also work well in the cabinets. Our cabinet over the fridge (which might normally hold a microwave) is our pantry, so to keep things toward the back away from the door and prevent shifting around we use the spring-loaded bars.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We carry four ceramic mugs, just about our only glass items other then some Corell and a couple of glass bowls. We keep our mugs in a shallow plastic tray, 1-2 " high sides. We use a number of these in our overheads, the plastic trays keep things from moving around. We don't stuff anything into out cabinets or wrap anything while traveling.

Our approach to storage is to have containers for things. These little plastic trays are about 3 for $1. They are the basis for our slide out pantries and much of our overhead storage.

We carry limited glass, finding over the long term it will break.

If we have a large volume like a cabinet or closet we divide it into a smaller space so things are not stacked.

We believe part of the ease of travel is making smaller secure places for items. This is valuable if you are on the move a lot.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
get a can of expanding foam...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Plastic Storage

After further consideration of storage I began to consider how many plastic containers we use for storage. It's really a lot, well over 30.

Our bathroom contains 7 plastic storage containers. the couch area has 2 small containers, 3 shoe box sized and 3 bins.

The kitchen area has about 12 plus 5 shoe box sized containers. The dinette area 6.

We are about to get three more from RVWidgetsWorks.

Most of our plastic containers either are pressure tight in a cabinet or screwed down. The first job is to give things a home; the second to keep things from moving around.

Later in the day I'll have to take a physical inventory of plastic boxes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Nagel View Post
We've had our Scamp all of 3 weeks but due to this wonderfull weather haven't had a chance to try it out. My question is: How do you pack everything so it doesn't just rattle around? We rented a big Winebago years ago and by the time we got to our destination the cupboards were a distaster. There must be a trick???
Thanks in advance
For some reason your question fired off a few aging synapses which reminded me of my first two week cruise in my sailboat. Not a lot of organized storage in my boat so I packed many food items, particularly canned goods under the seats. It turned out that casual bilge water got up there with the boat heeled over under sail. The result, when we finally got to the canned goods, was that all the labels had come off. Scads of cans with no idea what was in them. We decided to open two cans at random for each meal and that would serve as the meal whatever it was. Had some pretty unique combinations for dinner I’ll tell you.

I suppose a jumble of goods can be excitement of its own…

I use both methods, the packed together so it can't move and the plastic bins.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
One good tip for that first trip is to plie up every thing you are taking with you on the garage floor and then get rid of half the stuff. All to often there is a tendancy to carry way more than needed "Just in case".

Extra stuff means extra weight and overloaded cabinets that wind up popping open and/or hiding stuff you can't find for months. I know one couple that packs a full two weeks of food and enough clothes for a month, all for 7-10 day trips. Most of it is still in place and unused when they return.

Age old travel rule: Take half as much "stuff", and twice as much money, as you think you will need.

BTW: I too am a strong believer in using "Bins".
Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Congrats on your new Scamp!!

And, yes, as you've gathered from all these responses, you must take steps to secure things...

I also use a couple of plastic bins for canned (and/or boxed) goods stowed in the lower cabinet of our Casita. But, what I really like are dishpans (regular, household size); they are multipurpose when you're in camp (for dog's water, or to catch that drip from the city water inlet, in addition to using for dishes, of course); and then useful for stowing things (in the larger cabinets) when you're underway. And if you don't need them, they stack inside each other 'til you do.

We also use some wire shelves to hold the bins and dishpans. They're free-standing inside the cabinet, and they do shift some while underway; but never so much that things slide off/fall over (because the space is just a hair too small for that to happen). It's an easy thing to pull everything back in line once we've arrived at our destination.

HAVE FUN!!

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote