Another reason to camp... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Another reason to camp...

Pitch a tent - 15 Tips for Avoiding Hotel Bedbugs - Health.com
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post

I've slept in enough Motel/Hotel rooms in my life. I don't ever to do that again.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
I am sooooo paranoid about hotel rooms....it is one of my major justifications for buying an egg i can tow everywhere......
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When you add up the cost of the trailer and up keep, insurance, registration, campground fees etc. I bet there are many nights where a motel would be cheaper. But at the end of the day it's my bed. All 45 inches of it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
When you add up the cost of the trailer and up keep, insurance, registration, campground fees etc. I bet there are many nights where a motel would be cheaper. But at the end of the day it's my bed. All 45 inches of it. Raz

When I stay in motels, and yes I still do, I'm a destination traveler. Flying someplace too because time is precious and I can't spend it traveling the hiways to get there.

Memories come in all shapes and sizes.

I worry more about catching a cold or flu or Legionnaires disease from flying more than I worry about bed bugs.

YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
For the week-end traveler that could be true. Generally when you live in motels/hotels you eat in restaurants, which increases the expense.

I just calculated my total cost per night of trailer use including cost of new trailer, insurance, and maintenance over almost 8 years of ownership. That number comes to about $27,000. Just for grins let's up to $30,000. Total number of nights spent in the trailer around 750, but go conservative, and say 700 nights. That comes to an average of $42.86 per night. I wonder what kind of a motel I can get for that.

Now I suppose to be fair I should add in my average camping cost per night. We'll be conservative again and say $15.00 per night (that's close to double what I actually pay) Now up to a whopping $57.86 per night.

I realize that many people payed more for their trailer, have to pay more for insurance, and willingly pay a much higher camping fee, along with a whole lot fewer nights of use. So this just my experience.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Since my trailer wasn't very expensive, and neither is insurance or registration, I think mainly of extra gas used plus campground vs. motel and as I'm usually a Motel 6'er it is pretty much a wash. The advantage of the trailer, bedbugs aside, is that some of the cheap motels are not places I'd want to stay. (Some are just fine.)

I sleep really well in the trailer, though, nobody minds the dogs on the bed, and I can get up as early as I want and fix coffee. The only problem is when I have to be somewhere where there isn't a good local inexpensive campground nearby.

However, I can imagine on a long trip doing about one night in seven at a Motel 6 or something similar- where I can do laundry, for example. Though I would hate to bring bedbugs back to my trailer, so some of the suggestions in the article are good.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #8

Name: Jeanie
Trailer: 16' 2012 Scamp Deluxe
Minnesota
For sure our fur kids can travel with us when we camp. Some pet friendly accommodations charge extra for the boys. Per night. Per boy.

Half the fun is planning and getting to our destination...knowing we'll have the comforts of what we want/need...and having really good coffee in the morning to boot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121010_073853.png
Views:	21
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	51887
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
AF Lodging rates

Since I am retired military we use military lodging quite a bit when not camping on trips. The AF just increased lodging rates about 25%. I guess we will be spending more time in the Scamp.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #10

Registry
I was just thinking about this... on a trip combining visits to family with camping, staying in the trailer prevents the possibilty of bringing bedbugs with you to family, even if you do stay inside when visiting the family (or friends.)

Jeanie, I know what you mean about the pet charges, though a friend of mine tells me she can usually talk them down to one fee. But sometimes campgrounds have them, too, though usually nothing like the $25 some hotels want!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Many reasons to use an RV over a motel room for me.

-Meals are way more convenient, cheaper and healthier too. Can be fun to do as well.
-Not too many motels allow a campfire by the bed
-Much more quieter than a room
-When I open the trailer door, I am immediately in my 'living' room, instead of a hallway that leads eventually to a sidewalk.
-I can carry WAY more gear when travelling with a trailer
-Much more pet friendly
-Nobody else (but my dog or wife) has farted in my bed.
-My wife and me can eat breakfast or snacks whenever we want, and do not have to go out to do so.
-My dog is raw fed, and has all his food in the fridge.
-Cold beer at the ready, or a bottle of red on hand, or a rum..........
-I meet way more interesting fellow travelers when in a campground
-I can often fish out of my campsite, not many motels offer this.
-Guitar playing is much more fun outdoors, and often brings other fun people around.
-Motels discourage playing bocce and other similar games in the hallway
-Much nicer to read a book by a babbling book than in a room
-Our dog definitely prefers hanging around outside, rather than inside a room.
-And on, and on, and on............

This is not to say that staying in a motel room is out of the question for me. We still do use them for appropriate situations, including destination holidays. I have lived for 4 nights a week in a motel for over 10 years, eating in restaurants, and really got sick and tired of it. There were a couple sketchy motels I have stayed in that I worried about cleanliness, but for the most part I have been very happy with the level of service and the conditions of the rooms.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote