Another wrecked egg! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #15
Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Originally Posted by ddwills View Post
I bought at local hardware store 2inx4in U-bolts. located the frame and drilled small pilot holes into the storage areas for easy access, and installed the bolts w/ crossplate and nuts w/small amount of liquid teflon so nuts can't back off.Under $10 fix.
I was thinking along these lines and am therefore glad to hear this from you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Fiberglass RV mobile app

DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:15 AM   #16
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
Hopefully it was a typo and was supposed to be a Loctite type product .

Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #17
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would use lock nuts, either the nylock type or the type that has a crimp on it
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #18
Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Wrecked Casita

On that same FaceBook thread feed, Earl Reed is re-building a Casita of a similar era he pulled from the weeds. The wood floor is completely gone. Thus, there is nothing to hold the thin egg shell to the frame. Once the floor rots out, it's a goner. The screws are likely all still in place. The screws don't necessarily fail, the floor does.

While very glad no one got hurt, I feel bad that these folk just purchased that Casita, now wrecked. Unknowingly??? The wood floor was gone and this is the result. That Casita has a fiberglass bottom is nice, but the vulnerable floor is the ONLY thing that allows the screws/bolts to capture the shell and pin it to the frame.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #19
Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Wrecked Casita

Here are a couple of Earl Reed's photos showing that the floor had completely turned to a crumbled pile of mush or dust in his project Casita of that era. This has all been very enlightening to me, personally. Learned a lot.

Note the screws are in good shape, but there's nothing for them to hold. They're still standing proud the thickness (3/4") of the now missing floor, now swept up and now shoveled out.

Again, once the floor has no strength to hold the screws, due to rot, the fiberglass egg is left to just roll or be swept right off the frame. This is the design of FGRV and some awareness and caution is required when purchasing an older unit to better understand the how's and the potential problems.
Attached Thumbnails
13686565_1076932619065137_5893095021287793396_n.jpg   13886510_1076932642398468_499837921777470781_n.jpg  

bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #20
Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
floor bolts

Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
These pictures come from my Facebook timeline. I'm posting these here to remind people of older trailers, to double-check the fasteners to the frame. This trailer body was literally ripped off the frame when a semi passed the trailer. All the fasteners were rusted out of the frame.

Fortunately, no one was hurt.

This is a 1990 16' Casita.
Scary looking site Donna!

When I got my Burro last year and looked at the floor I saw all the 1/4-20 bolts heads were sunk into the flooring. The floor is I think 1/2" plywood and that gave the bolts only about 1/4" of material to hold the floor to the frame.

After I removed the body from the frame I used SS bolts with fender washers to replace the old ones. The bolt heads are now on top of the floor but I feel safe that they won't pull thru now. I do use the foam interlocking 2x2 foot mats to cover them though.
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #21
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Anything made by man will deteriorate. Stone lasts the longest (consider the Pyramids), but using stone would make for a heavy trailer!
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #22
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
"..., but using stone would make for a heavy trailer!
That's not what I remember seeing on the Flintstones! I remember Fred and Barny driving their wood and stone cars at a pretty good rate with just their feet!!

Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote