Answer a Question then Ask a Question - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #43
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
It looks like we will spend 60 +/- nights camping this year. Two-thirds of it will be in our Casita. The other third will be at our aqua-cabin (houseboat).

As we travel, we are trying to discover a Great place to retire. We have a little time, but don't want to wait 'til the last minute. I thought Silver City, NM was going to be IT. It is rated in the Top five best places in the US to retire. Things like low cost of living, low crime, fresh air, lots of goods and services, good hospitals, etc. made me take a hard look at it. Plus, I have a friend there.

My wife said NO!
So I said why not? Turns out it was too far from the kids & grandkids.

So our quest goes on.

Where would you recommend to retire?

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #44
Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
I don't know if this would interest you .. but Jim and I found a really nice area near Mojave Narrows. It's called Spring Valley Lake... some homes are right on the water and have docks. Reasonable, affordable homes and there are lots available right on the water. Located in the Mojave Desert about 1-1/2 hours drive from Los Angeles and just 40 minutes from San Bernardino, Ontario and Inland Empire areas. That should be close for Lori and the family to get together. It's a beautiful area.

Click on the photo on the website below.

Has anyone been to Mojave Narrows?

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #45
Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Have not been to that development, but love the high desert around there---but it sure has been developed in the last several years.

What do you like best about the desert?
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #46
Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Memories of the way it used to be, before wall-to-wall tract homes. Viewing spring wildflowers, cacti, lizards, jack rabbits, tortoises, snakes, tarantulas, big-horned sheep and red-tailed hawks, etc. are what we like best about the desert.

Do you enjoy the desert, the sea, the mountains, lakes or rivers or the city attractions of museums, theme parks, historical sites, etc. as a TT destination?
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:32 PM   #47
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
I enjoy most of the above.

We went on one trip though (raining on the coast) to Barstow, CA with Jim and Carol. It was absolutely a great weekend. I think it was the people we were with, not the location.

Are you planning to go to a FiberglassRV Rally this year?

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #48
Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
I certainly agree Mike... it was definitely the people we were with. Who else would do the silly things we did... Pick 'n Sav (to shop for ??) .. a movie (still raining) ... dinner (we were hungry)... then cards and games in the trailer until late. Rain on the roof - fun in the trailer.

We are going on a FiberglassRV trip .. to Cambria ... see you there..

Do you have fun with family members that also have a Casita?
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #49
Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I don't have any friends that own any brand of FG trailer (other that the great people that I met at the Scamp Camp at Baraboo, WI.) However, I do know several that are currently looking for a 13' to fix up.

What was your most terrible night camping? Was it terrible because of location, animals, people, weather??
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:04 PM   #50
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
The most terrible night was a backpacking trip into Oregon's Sisters Wilderness. We hiked in about 7 miles on a July 3. Short sleeves and t-shirts were needed. Skeeters were thick, so DEET was a must. 1st night tent wide open to get a cool breeze. Now for the second night and another couple miles in. About 7:00 pm it started getting cool. Long pants and long sleeves were needed. Then sweathers, finally everything we could get on. Had to give up and crawled into the sleeping bags. Woke up with something hitting the top of the tent. Anne asked what that was, I was too groggy to thing, said the first thing that came to mind, pine needles. It wasn't pine needles, it was sleet. I was really cold. I put everything I could on, still couldn't stop shivering. We packed up and headed out. I'm carrying a full pack, wearing all the clothes I can get on, a poncho over everything. About an hour walking I finally was able to stop shivering.

Have you ever had hypothermia?
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #51
Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Have you ever had hypothermia?
Not really... close though... coming in from playing outside in the snow... hands blue... VERY painful when warming up.

What outdoor winter activity(ies) do you like to do?

Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #52
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
I like to snowshoe and cross country ski. I went to Crater Lake in Oregon in March....

Where do you like to go to play in the snow?
Attached Thumbnails   crater.lake.1.jpg  

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #53
Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
No body's answering .... maybe no one wants to think about playing in the snow now--been there all winter. The only playing in snow I like is tossing the stuff at the dogs. They love it and can't lob any back at me. Norm has way better aim than I do. According to our youngest I 'throw worse than a girl'.

What was the strangest thing you've thrown, or what was your worst effort at hitting a planned target?
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #54
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
We get our firewood from county forest lands, after the trees have been cut and removed by timber companies and before the remaining slash is burned (to ready the land for replanting). We had just purchased a used pickup and the body was in perfect condition. I was up on a hillside with the wood we had cut, and Steve was below me, next to our truck. He knows me well, because he began yelling "don't throw that! Don't throw that!" I thought "why not?" and gave a big toss to start the round of wood rolling down the hill. It rolled and bounced and hit the only spot I didn't want it to end up - the side of our new truck.

Have you seen the live bald eagle cam set up in the nest of an eagle high atop a tree in British Columbia?

Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #55
Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Have you seen the live bald eagle cam set up in the nest of an eagle high atop a tree in British Columbia?
I took a look at your bald eagle cam, that's very interesting! My, they really got their camera close to the action. I wonder how they did that?

The closest action I have been to was when I saw a bullfight in Spain...thrilling and really awful, all at the same time. What's the closest you've been to some action you either liked or abhored?
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #56
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I was working trackside on some back corner at the east end of the circuit at the Vancouver CART race, holding the yellow flag and watching the race cars drive away from me (my back to the approaching traffic) when another worker yelled to step back from the wall. Mario Andretti, in just about his last year driving, was coming towards the waist-height concrete wall - sideways. He caught the slide when almost 90 degrees to the track, slid by my location, recovered and continued.

We looked over the wall to see the rubber tracks almost touching the wall; the rear wing must have been hanging right over the wall, and would have hit me if I had leaned on the wall at the time. That's action, and that's getting close to it. I like that action, by the way...

Have you ever gone somewhere or done something that you would have thought earlier would never have been a possibility for you?

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote